Posted: Aug 6th 2010 9:47PM claytondora said

I'm glad to see Ultima Online still has an active community as well as developers willing to push new content and engage in live events with players. Its one of the few modern MMO predecessors still around, along with Lineage.

Posted: Aug 6th 2010 10:05PM Morde said

Two problems with this.

a.) The picture in this article is from the Kingdom Reborn client, which while beautiful was discontinued due to idiocy last September. There is now a highres (read: pixelated beyond even '94 standards) replacement.

b.) I don't believe this is out yet.

Posted: Aug 6th 2010 10:17PM (Unverified) said

You are correct on the picture being from Kingdom Reborn and that graphics set of it being removed. But they did not do away with the Kingdom Reborn client. It's still very much in use, it just uses the old graphics tileset instead of the KR ones.

As far as B goes. What do you expect when you take a game designed for 640 by 480 Res and scale it upto todays Res's. The new client does give you the ability to zoom in and out of the view. So you can zoom out to a point where you are seeing more of the game world and it does make it look alot less pixelated.

And the SA expansion has been out for some time town.

Posted: Aug 6th 2010 10:20PM tenfootgoatman said

should'nt this game now either offer a free to play option or at least a nominal monthly subscription fee three or four dollars. preferably the lower monthly fee . it would proberbly make a lot more money .

Posted: Aug 8th 2010 4:31PM wjowski said

Don't you have computer games you could be stealing off of torrent sites?

Posted: Aug 6th 2010 10:33PM Brianna Royce said

I liked Kingdom Reborn too. :D The current Enhanced Client is a blend of KR's mobile models, foliage, UI, etc., with 2D's tilesets. It's not the greatest, but at least some part of KR lives on, right?

drew: UO actually launched at $10 a month and was increased to $13 many years ago. It's hard to see Mythic reversing that. In order for UO to go F2P, the team would need to gut the game and likely rewrite the housing code from scratch. (Housing is currently one house per account, for active subs only, barring a short grace-period. Competition for housing spots is rather extreme on larger shards.) This has been a recurring problem for UO (and other older games) -- the older architecture frequently gets in the way of development, even when the team is willing.

-Bree

Posted: Aug 7th 2010 1:54AM Courtney said

Aahhh, UO, such fond memories. The most fun I've ever had running a thief, in any game ever.

I haven't played an MMO in years, but I occasionally get an irrational desire to fire up UO again.

Posted: Aug 7th 2010 4:56PM Grendel said

Don't do it. I was so stupid to risk a look after many years and ... it's always better to not mess around with your memories, that's for sure.

Posted: Aug 7th 2010 3:54AM (Unverified) said

Why... why don't they redevelop it, make it fully 3d and put it out there.... bah...

Posted: Aug 7th 2010 4:33AM Greeen said

I am with you. But what do you expect in todays tough markets?
And Ultima in true 3D just isn't Ultima anymore (not counting Ultima 9....) - or?

Posted: Aug 7th 2010 12:30PM Xii said

The original Ultima games tended to be pretty demanding hardware-wise. Or look at stuff like Ultima Underworld -- Ultima was never meant to be stuck to top-down sprites or pseudo-3D.

Posted: Aug 8th 2010 2:24AM (Unverified) said

I'd love to see isometic 3D in UO a la Torchlight, Diablo or like Titan Quest. A shame EA got the whole 3D thing utterly wrong made a client which uses a 3D engine that just scales up the old pixel graphics. bah! ...ah well, it's too late now anyway

Posted: Aug 7th 2010 2:29PM Laephis said

I really wish they had finished the Kingdom Reborn client, I'd probably consider coming back if things looked that good these days.

Posted: Aug 8th 2010 10:01AM (Unverified) said

@Grendel:

You say not to mess with the memories, but there are quite a lot of exceptions: I lately fired up Doom, Quake and Duke Nukem 3D (although using some modern port) and IMHO are much superior shooters and funnier than modern ones because they are the ESSENCE of the shooter genre, without all the physics mumbo-jumbo.

The same I can say with game prequels like Fallout and the stuff of the 90's. Damn, they were good times. I miss 'em.

Posted: Aug 8th 2010 5:52PM tenfootgoatman said

Perhaps it might be better to think before you post a comment in future . Even if you do it anonymously on an internet site it still shows your stupidity up as what it is .Neither free to play games or games that offer a lesser monthly fee are akin to stealing a game . Care to follow up with a grown up comment or something you think is clever but really only seams that way to those of the same mentality as you ? I'm quite happy to debate the pros and cons of alternative buisness models if done so in an intelligent way .

Posted: Aug 10th 2010 3:34PM (Unverified) said

Developers, yes. Community - I'm not so sure. I tried picking it up again last year and found 0 - 3 people in all the hotspots where I would have expected 50+ when I quit in 2002.