Posted: Aug 6th 2010 10:21AM (Unverified) said

All are accurate comments from what I have experienced in game except for one.

I do not feel the lotro store is 'in your face' whatsoever in comparison to the other turbine game DDO. There is a big button on login, but besides that there is only a small button on the end of the UI bar that you can actually turn off and make it disappear.

There are buttons when using the stables and bank, but they are the same size as the 'travel' button and not huge, just there.

Posted: Aug 6th 2010 4:29PM (Unverified) said

Where and how do you turn it off?I still haven't been able to find anything in the options

Posted: Aug 6th 2010 10:45AM ScottishViking said

Disclaimer: I was not/am not in beta.

But from what I have heard, I am concerned about a few things.

1) Purchaseables: Namely, the ones which are not attainable in-game (pots etc.) I am also dismayed that they included things like craft tools which are themselves craftable, thereby taking away from the in-game economy. Why would they make something available on the store that players can make themselves? This seems like a poor decision, since LOTRO's economy is pretty weak already.

2) Stat tomes: This is a bad decision. I know that LOTRO is *primarily* a PVE game, and that it "doesn't matter" who has higher stats, but the reality is that hierarchies will still develop. Radiance gating is a social phenomenon too, and I fear that we may see some "stat gating" for some groups. Don't have +30 to all your stats? Go back to F2P, noob! Also, are they doing anything to balance this out for the PvMP component? Creeps are getting left in the dust again.

Other than that, I'm not particularly worried. I think that the prices on the rep mounts are WAY too cheap, but I'm not opposed to them being purchaseable. Love the cosmetics ideas, vault changes, scripting, and new content news.

I am slightly dismayed at the number of people who are spouting "Store Orthodoxy" -- that is, that it's "all a matter of choice," as if the Turbine Store was somehow an ideological component in a game democracy or something. I think these people have bought into the hype: that this is about player decision-making, rather than a money-making scheme for the company. That is naive. The reality on the ground is that it will give some people -- the ones with the financial means -- an advantage. I'm not against F2P at all -- I think it's a neat business model -- but the number of people who consider it a "choice-based" tool are either a) the ones who can afford it or b) people who are, well, lazy. That is sad, but it won't affect most of the content for me.

Posted: Aug 6th 2010 12:10PM Wisdomandlore said

You can gain Stat Tomes in-game through the Classic Instances. And Creeps don't need to be worried. +30 to every stat is going to be a 1% or less increase in everything except morale and power for a level 65.

Posted: Aug 6th 2010 12:16PM ScottishViking said

Hey Wisdom, can you confirm that the lower-level stat tomes won't be accessible in-game for higher level players? Will my 65s only be able to get the highest-level tomes as drops? And the rest they'll have to do on the AH or Turbine Store?

Posted: Aug 6th 2010 12:23PM Wisdomandlore said

Appropriate stat tomes drop at appropriate levels. That means you'll have to set instances back to level 20 and run them to get the +10 stat tomes, or 40 for the +20. The +30 will drop from level 65 content. (Don't quote me on the exact levels) You have to apply each stat tome in succession, so the +20 won't work if you don't have the +10 already. They are also not BOA so you can buy, sell, or trade them as you like. I will say that the drop rate is very low, equal to or lower than the drop rate for Symbols in current SG.

Posted: Aug 6th 2010 12:26PM ScottishViking said

Thanks. I didn't actually know that you could adjust your instance level like that -- I thought it was more like Skirmishes. That will go a ways to alleviate some complaints I suppose, though I hope they fix the drop rates.

Posted: Aug 6th 2010 12:32PM Wisdomandlore said

You can lower the level of Skirmishes, too. :)

Posted: Aug 6th 2010 10:52AM Stormwaltz said

"F2P gives new characters a cool Gift Box that contains samples of things you can buy in the Store, plus another gift box inside, kind of like a Russian nesting doll. Each gift box has a minimum level - 5, 6, 7, 8, 8, 10, 15, etc. It's surprisingly simple, yet fun."

Hm, I wonder if that was inspired by Runes of Magic. They give a box like that to new characters.

Posted: Aug 6th 2010 11:28AM (Unverified) said

i had that same exact thought.

Posted: Aug 6th 2010 11:31AM (Unverified) said

It is more of a preview of the store. Most of it is consumables that can be bought in the store, thus enticing folks to buy more things in the store.

There is a 12 hour mount, some pots and some random other small things like defensive/offensive buffs etc.

It is a way for them to show what is in the store by giving what is basically a free sample and the hope that some players become dependent on them thus generating more revenue.

Posted: Aug 6th 2010 12:02PM Controlled Chaos said

Aye, first thing I thought about was Runes of Magic doing the same thing.

@Breltar
Actually, that's the exact reason the bag was there on Runes as well. You got free temporary mounts every once in a while, along with items strewn in that were both common and could only be purchased at the in game store.

Posted: Aug 6th 2010 10:58AM Deadalon said

• 1 heart
OMG how I hate those mounts with no reins and saddle....
Crappy work Turbine ! Crappy work !

Posted: Aug 6th 2010 12:03PM (Unverified) said

So now for your character to look good , have a nice horse and stack up on heals, etc for adventuring you no longer have to 'work' for it in game? You just need a credit card? I realize there are still probably ways to 'work' for this stuff in-game, but what's the point when a noob with some disposable income can look exactly like me?

It seems like they've removed any sense of accomplishment from the game except bare bones monster killing. There's no reason to try to be any good at the game, they've removed the status symbols.

Posted: Aug 6th 2010 12:14PM ScottishViking said

Well...let's not kid ourselves. LOTRO's "accomplishments" that you mention are largely about grinding. Rep gear etc. are largely the products of how long you can spend in a zone collecting rep tradeins and doing repeatable rep quests.

About the only "skill" in the game is in PvMP and in running some of the harder instances (where you need to know your place in the group, and perform well).

Posted: Aug 7th 2010 1:08PM pcgneurotic said

Why be good at the game (in that sense)? Why not just play through, enjoy the narrative, and reach end-game in whatever you can? Eh, it's another way of playing I guess.

Posted: Aug 8th 2010 11:03AM alinos said

no offence while you regard some of these things as status

others just want to play through the game and enjoy it

having access to mounts and the like for those who want them at earlier levels is a positive for them

and the easiest way for turbine to counter this tho is purely to make it so that when i purchase the mounts its a skin i can see and to the rest of the population its the equivilant of whateva horse ive actually obtained

Posted: Aug 6th 2010 12:04PM Controlled Chaos said

Some of the comments chosen kind of ended up wishy washy when compared to one another, like one person saying something was great while the very next line someone else claimed it wasn't good at all, but it sounds pretty good.

I think I'll end up trying this one once the F2P is in full swing.

Posted: Aug 6th 2010 12:19PM gildhur said

That's because feedback on anything is never universal. There are even people who don't see a problem with the horribly overpowered store pots simply because they cost money to use, as if people won't do so. Just trust my opinion and you won't go wrong. ;-)

Posted: Aug 6th 2010 12:15PM gildhur said