Posted: Aug 6th 2010 2:27PM whackanewbie said

Have to be honest but he is right. I never played LOTRO because of the screens I saw of it and went 'ewww not my style' and then I played it.....I still consider it best graphics in an MMO right now, in my opinion.....Breathtaking backgrounds.

Posted: Aug 6th 2010 2:48PM EdmundDante said

I agree. The visual artists in LOTRO are IMO some of the best in the industry.

Posted: Aug 6th 2010 7:23PM Graill440 said

No arguments in the graphics or pure atmosphere, it was great to have visited this game.

It doesnt rate my time or money whether it goes microtransaction or stays a monthly sub, the game is just hollow with no life, all beauty with no ugliness.

Posted: Aug 6th 2010 2:37PM Ocho said

Very true. The scenery is absolutely gorgeous and the lands have a great feel to them, the graphics (for an older game) are really good, and with the bump to DX11, it'll just get even better. Of all the zones of all the games I've ever played, the Shire is still the greatest of them all.

Posted: Aug 6th 2010 2:42PM jimr9999us said

• Half a heart
Good news for Turbine! Whirlpool joining the LotRO family as a f2p'er replaces my 2+ years as a paying subscriber 1-1.

And thanks again WB for changing your business model mid-stream on the sub-based mmog I considered my home!

Here's hoping the new improved LotRO is so successful all mmog's go "hybrid" (calling that catch-all model hybrid is like calling dog dirt "fragrant loaf") so I can turn off my computer finally and get back to finishing the next great American novel.

Posted: Aug 6th 2010 5:15PM (Unverified) said

Psst, it's Whirlspell ;)

I really don't think it's going to be as bad as you make it out to be.
Yes, it will be different, but if you've played through the beta, I think you might find that the changes aren't all that bad.

That's not to say that everything they've done is good; I do have some gripes (like those HoTs/PoTs in the store). And of course that style of game isn't for everyone either, I just encourage you to give it a try before writing off the game completely.

Last point, WB didn't really make the decision. Turbine would have had to be planning this before they were bought, seeing how close the announcements were.

Posted: Aug 6th 2010 8:47PM Tom in VA said

Oh, good grief. Overreacting much?

As for myself, I am happily back in LotRO as a subscriber and I will remain in the game as a subscriber. Whether the switch to F2P affects me at all is uncertain, but I doubt it will -- except that I am gratified that I can now use Turbine points to purchase some of the grind-oh-so-grindy items in this game (like the use of swift mounts to certain areas, etc., etc.).

From a subscriber's perspective (this subscriber, anyway), LotRO's switch to F2P is an excellent move and I am glad for it.

Posted: Aug 6th 2010 10:16PM jimr9999us said

• 1 heart
Ian, I generally spell the names of players I respect correctly. I have little time for folks who go on about how a f2p lotro is what they think the game is worth.

Tom, oh shush. Judging other folks emotional reaction to stuff is like complaining about the weather. I'm glad you like the changes. I wish I did as well, but I didn't so I moved on.

Posted: Aug 7th 2010 10:20AM dustindeckard said

Wow, jimr9999us... thanks for the rudely blunt comment regarding your lack of respect for me as a player. Was that really called for?

Also, you should know that I am NOT a F2Per. I've been playing the beta as a subscriber, and since the beta toons will all be wiped upon Live launch, I even started a different sub for a live server and have been playing there.

I rejoined the game because the influx of lots of new players excites me. I'm sorry that a bunch of new people are going to ruin your special club and you're grumpy about it, but I happen to subscribe to the "more the merrier" philosophy. I like most of the changes and new content in LoTRO, and I've been having a blast in the beta... as a paid subscriber.

If you leave LoTRO, I doubt anyone will shed a tear, including Turbine. The game is famous for having a supportive and mature player-base, so the loss of a grumpy, pessimistic one is certainly nothing unfortunate.

Posted: Aug 7th 2010 11:46AM (Unverified) said

Don't let the door hit you on the way out jimr9999us. The more people people with your attitude that leave now the better the community will be once F2P hits. Luckily people like this are in the minority. Belittling those who come to love Middle Earth and want to subscribe to enjoy all it holds is elitism at its finest.

Posted: Aug 7th 2010 3:27PM jimr9999us said

Dustin, your enthusiastic support for a game altering business model without consideration for the effect that change might have on a player base that supported LotRO for years through subscriptions and retail boxes led me to believe you had little respect for a community that you are suddenly wanting to join at no cost. My apologies for coming to the wrong conclusion, have fun in the game.

Erik, the elitism argument grows more tired with each passing day. I invested time in LotRO because I loved the world...and it was a world where accomplishments meant something. I will not play a mmog funded by an in-game store simply because it necessitates gameplay mechanics to encourage shopping instead of...playing. I would not have spent 2 years playing lotro knowing that at some point WB would change models mid-course.

My issues with the LotRO changes have nothing to do with more people playing the game. My concern is that it is acceptable for an established, successful game to change it's mechanic/model and devalue player accomplishments. F2P, MTS, sub-based...the revenue choices a mmog make dictate how the game is designed. By my measure, the LotRO of today will be shutting down this fall replaced by a completely different game. I am concerned that so many players find joy in that.

Sign me Eaynfrith, 65 LM of Meneldor, Scholar (the late)

Posted: Aug 7th 2010 6:47PM Sunaris said

Well jim, hope the grass is greener where ever you land. Unless you have played the beta for f2p and really know what is in store, i wouldn't jump to conclusions. I have, and can not wait for this to happen. The good far outweighs any bad(which there is very little of). Also it says a lot for your character(or lack of) that you decided to call out the toon in the SS. Personally i love the changes they are making and am glad that new players will be coming to the game. Sorry that you don't like change.

Posted: Aug 7th 2010 10:00PM jimr9999us said

Sugewise, the toon's name is "Whirlspell"

Exactly the kind of name the LotRO community can look forward to seeing more of.

LM's don't cast spells...they use chemistry. But whatever. I need to get over it. I start on Paxil tomorrow ;)

Posted: Aug 7th 2010 10:22AM dustindeckard said

On a different note, thanks for featuring my One-Shot, Krystalle! :)

Posted: Aug 7th 2010 11:44PM gildhur said

Psst. The town is Staddle. The pond is Little Staddlemere. :-)