Posted: Aug 6th 2010 4:23PM NekoDaimyo said

Strictly speaking, in the tabletop game, the artificer's pool of extra points is basically free XP to specifically spend on crafting items. Their infusions, or spells by another name, work on the same Vancian system that arcane and divine casters use.

Posted: Aug 6th 2010 4:23PM mifuneseven said

I'm okay with Eberron as the DDO online setting but I would never pay money for any of the pen and paper products set in that world. Somehow, Eberron has never felt right to me. And while Eberron is 'okay' I would have enjoyed DDO much more if it was set in Blackmoor, Greyhawk or the Forgotten Realms. If I had my choice they would bring back Greyhawk!

Posted: Aug 6th 2010 5:41PM (Unverified) said

Greyhawk is double-super-extra awesome, and so much more fearsome. Lower magic than the Realms, and flippin' Iuz and the Scarlet Brotherhood! It would have been perfect for DDO.

Posted: Aug 6th 2010 4:24PM (Unverified) said

My favorite realm was Ravenloft. Oh God was that place awesome.

Posted: Aug 6th 2010 10:37PM Kuroyume said

oh yeah... Eberron is ok, but Ravelonft is superb, only rivaled by Dark Sun...

Posted: Aug 6th 2010 5:10PM ScottishViking said

I agree with the author that DDO's "Eberron" setting is almost unrecognizable, except for the Warforged. As a tabletop D&D player myself, the Eberron setting is one of my favorites. Most of the magic and mystery of the world is missing here, though. DDO is, for all intents and purposes, a "generic" D&D game. In that sense, it's not a BAD game, but it's hardly the Eberron *I* know.

Posted: Aug 6th 2010 7:37PM Crode said

Eberron never did feel very unique or exciting to me and DDO did not do anything to make it any better. I have not read any of the Eberron books but I suppose they would do a better job in painting a unique picture.

I always thought Dark Sun stuff was extremely unique and I see they will be releasing new books based on that campaign setting. \o/

Posted: Aug 7th 2010 10:19AM Mellifera said

First DDO disappointment: It wasn't set on Krynn. Seriously, what was the last platform that had a Dragonlance game? The SNES?

Then I got my hands on the settings books and thought "Well, its not bad..... Ooo whats a Kalashter? OMG Shifters?! This has the potential to be kickass!"

Disappointment the second: "Awesome the races and classes are finally being announced......... What the.... Where all the Eberron core classes? There's only frakking Warforged! Dammit I was all set to roll a Gnome Artificer!!!!!!!!!"

Posted: Aug 7th 2010 10:50AM Dread said

I'm with you Mell, Krynn always did it for me. Such a rich lore, history, times of conflict, armies, races, orders, classes.

Posted: Aug 7th 2010 1:04AM (Unverified) said

I definitely agree that DDO could have used more of the Eberron resources. It's a great campaign and the shift to 4th Edition helped even more. I DM games and my friends love the setting and the unique characteristics of Eberron which really set it apart from other, more contemporary settings.

Posted: Aug 7th 2010 11:36AM (Unverified) said

Needs to be more races and classes. No gnomes is bull as what about the Zilargo gnomes and the different houses? No half-orcs was also stupid as you can't have house Tharask. There were no bards, no druids, no monks, no artificer. Yeah they really really need to add more races and classes. If they did there would be way more interest. I keep saying "If only they had Tieflings with the 4th ed look to them I'd play one!" yet they don't. They have drow but the vast majority of players are total noobs and play them like they are in Forgotten Realms. Eberron drow are NOTHING like FR Drow. They would kick the snot out of a Lloth drow and probably think their petty civil wars are stupid as hell. The Scorpion god is far far cooler than Lloth. So are the "Scorpion Drider" things in Eberron. It's a reward too! NOT a punishment.

Posted: Aug 7th 2010 9:53AM (Unverified) said

Greyhawk is the original world and without question, the best.......period.

Posted: Aug 7th 2010 11:06AM (Unverified) said

I agree. If Turbine ever did "DDO 2", heck, it MUST be set in Greyhawk! Really the best setting of all, and all other popular settings stole something from Greyhawk.

But Eberron is great as well, and really unique. It's not a "mix of all settings" people, it's really one of its own and very atmospheric.
But I'd like to see other continents in DDO - especially now, that Turbine's developers are very good and deep with Eberron lore. They should start fleshing out "second home" on Khorvaire, I'd like to see such expansion coming out.

Posted: Aug 31st 2010 10:14AM pcgneurotic said

"...even the upcoming half-orc race and the druid class..." Say what? :O

The Stream Team: Dota 2's 6.82 madness