Posted: Aug 4th 2010 8:13AM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
AION FORTHE WIN.. Zikel. ASMO. gangking pigeons all day. servermerges mean nothing to me. evryone always speaks negatively so I stopped listening years ago. money money money, that what they r doing..they dont give a damn it makes money. and if u think it doesnt...ur in for a surprise...

Posted: Aug 4th 2010 8:16AM (Unverified) said

English please.

Posted: Aug 4th 2010 8:19AM ultimateq said

As this article pointed out, server merges have their pro's and con's. I think in the short-term it balances out, but a server merge is usually caused by falling numbers. In the long-term a server-merge is only a temporary solution to inflate the population. A server merge is pointless if you are not addressing the problems that cause the population to decline.

So, to answer the question. Server-Merges worry me because it usually means the game is failing. If I enjoy the game, I would be worried that my investment into the game is being wasted.

Posted: Aug 4th 2010 8:26AM DarthCheese said

To be honest, whenever a company decides to merge servers, they should offer a refund to anyone who pre-ordered just for early access, to reserve their names.

Seeing how all these MMOs offer "access to head start" "chance to reserve names" etc. as a pre-order bonus... all of which is taken away during a server merge.

Posted: Aug 4th 2010 8:29AM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
If you don't want a game to die, learn from Eve Online and it's community. I'm as serious as I will ever be. Any other game that would have a community even anywhere close to how Eve online's players interact with each other, would survive and have enough support t grow and dev. into a the strong title it was meant to be. That being said its up to the devs to implement tools to let us play this way.

Posted: Aug 4th 2010 11:23AM kasapina said

You comment is very offtopic. That game has nothing to do with server merges - it only has one server, after all. You say that we should learn from the EvE community if we don't want a game to die, but we are talking about server merges here, not Aion or any other game dying.

On topic, when I see that a game is offering server merges, to me that is definitely a sign of population decline. However, it also shows that the people managing the player population are actually aware of the problem and are taking action - server merge is only a temporary solution if players are leaving one after another, and even if it is the only measure taken, at least I see that they understand the state the game's in.

Posted: Aug 4th 2010 12:14PM Darkdust said

This is spot on: merge servers down to as few as technically possible, preferably one. Your player community will generate new things that you can't even imagine right now.

Posted: Aug 4th 2010 1:43PM Dblade said

Do not learn from EVE. The only reason EVE's single server works is because:

-there is no leveling, so there never is competition for leveling spots.
-there is no endgame except PvP, so no competition for raid instances.
-each EVE area is massive, but featureless, with a very small number of mobs locked up in a few areas, like gates or asteroid belts or generated per user demand.
-EVE uses a small number of shared player types with no customization in ship models.

EVE takes out a lot of things that would make merging to a single server impossible. Heck, most games engines can barely handle 200-300 in a single zone without making it a laggy mess, same as EVE.

Posted: Aug 4th 2010 5:50PM Graill440 said

@Primarch

And you were sober when you typed that garbage?

Posted: Aug 4th 2010 8:30AM Verus said

It is often a good idea but the problem is that people see them as a sign that the game is slowly dying.

Posted: Aug 4th 2010 8:47AM Dandmcd said

By the time a game announces a server merge, it is usually after the game is found to be dying, and servers are nearly empty. I'm still annoyed at Mythic for waiting so long to merge servers in Warhammer. The feeling of loss to players and the slew of empty servers made the game die out faster then it might have if there was enough players in each tier to play with. I still can't believe how much they overreacted at launch with the amount of servers, that was a huge mistake for a game that relies on full servers to do PQ's and RvR.

Posted: Aug 4th 2010 9:02AM Georgio said

Same happened with Aion. I think NCWest lost much more players because of postponing so long the servers merge. The big drop in population was visible after the first 2-3 months already. Being stubborn and avoiding the server merge and transfers for another 6 months was a very bad decision who lead to massive exodus because more than half of the servers were dead and there was no way to transfer to an active server.

Posted: Aug 4th 2010 9:27AM (Unverified) said

@Georgio

In my opinion they shouldn't have added more servers in the beginning to begin with. Yes, servers were overpopulated and there were loooong queues. However, it was obvious that just the grind would already make many people quit. You can't tell me NCwest thinks they really westernized the game.

And yea, avoiding the mergers later on did cost them players.

Posted: Aug 4th 2010 9:49AM Starry said

@Dan. I agree wholeheartedly. Many developers wait far too long to merge servers allowing low population issues to add significantly to player attrition rates. SWG is a ongoing example of the negative impact of empty servers have on a dying game.

Posted: Aug 4th 2010 5:47PM Brianna Royce said

I remember being absolutely astonished when Mythic continued adding servers at launch even when most existing servers were totally empty. My own guild switched from an empty server to a medium pop one during the first couple of days of the game out of desperation, so we'd have other "humans" to do public quests with, and the team was STILL adding more servers even then. Mind-boggling.

Posted: Aug 4th 2010 9:02AM (Unverified) said

server merges are welcome.
nevertheless it's a difficult undertaking for games like swg, because of the freedom building an entire city in the middle of nowhere or a favourite place with all the buildings, vendor inside etc.

Posted: Aug 4th 2010 9:09AM Damn Dirty Ape said

No, server merges do not bother me. I don't think anyone would argue that WoW has been quite successful, and yet pre-BC the server I played on was merged with one or two other servers.

Posted: Aug 4th 2010 9:27AM timthel0rd said

As long as they aren't forcing me into another ruleset (Full pvp -> pve or anything like that) then I'm cool with it.

Posted: Aug 4th 2010 9:27AM (Unverified) said

Server merges are like amputations. They are never desired, they never foretell anything good, and you never recover from them but sometimes they are necessary to keep the game going a little longer.

If you like the game that's being merged, though, you can go on. Very few games actually die out, they just fade into the distance with a small population. Aion is unlikely to be shut down even if they merge to a single NA server.

Posted: Aug 4th 2010 9:53AM Dumac said

I don't have many negative stereotypes with server merges, except that there's never a nice way to solve issues with character names (when Bob exists on both servers) and servers with special rulesets going down. Thats incredibly frustrating. I wish developers would plan for that in advance, IE not count that the eight billion players they expect at launch will stay there forever and that the game will forever need 76 or more servers.