Posted: Aug 3rd 2010 8:25PM (Unverified) said

Nice picture there, that was a screenshot from Rallos Zek pvp server which just happened to be my first step into MMORPG's. I remember that player Penney and of course TR. I feel lucky I was around when EQ launched and I feel bad for anyone that enjoys MMO's that missed that game as it still holds a high place on my list of favorite games of all time.

Posted: Aug 3rd 2010 10:38PM (Unverified) said

It's really hard for players to comprehend what it was like to raid in Everquest in the early days of MMOs. Everquest set the groundwork for all others to follow... and was truly the "old school" bootcamp of MMOs. Nothing now even comes close.

Just think about running 72 man raids, for hours per night, without vent.... we're talking complex encounters requiring coordination of classes without the benefit of customizable UIs, macros or parsing tools. Pure get down and get dirty raiding.

And there was no forgiveness in those days. You died you spent considerable time recovering and getting rolling again. In the very early days a wipe could mean hours of recovery or worse. Does anyone remember the early wipes in Plane of Fear? At zone in no less! I look with fond memories of the times our guild had to go in and help the "lesser" guilds recover since they could not get back in and kill the mobs at zone in in order to recover their corpses... remember you left your gear on your corpse when you died in EQ.

Those were simply awesome days. Do I think that we need a return to that level of commitment and pain? No way! But I'll always look with pride on the old days when we accomplished what we did with so little. It was truly epic.

Posted: Aug 3rd 2010 10:56PM Sorphius said

Well isn't it a small world!

Mulciber was my "main" character during most of the 90s. I took a break sometime before Venus' little "shakeup," and played a nadeu named Lithuriel up until the crash.

Triad/Cronus is the only old NM person I really keep up with these days, and that's really only because he's a RL friend. He's actually up in Cincinnati this week visiting Isis, Gwyndolin and a couple of others.

Posted: Aug 3rd 2010 11:54PM DraneceusRex said

My start had to be on BBS games like Trade Wars and LORD, moving up to MUDs in the late 90's. At the college I went to, met a bunch of guys that were actually running a little MUD called Blasted Lands. We used to take over a computer lab and run for hours at a time on it. I also played around with BattletechMUSH. That was fun times too.

So when I saw my first sample of Everquest, I was unimpressed. I thought the graphics were horrid, had the same basic interface as a MUD, and you threw $15 a month to be able to play it.

Fast forward 4-5 years later, WoW is released. Loved it. I think that really was my favorite time in MMOs, just hitting 60, grinding out blues in Dead Strat, UBRS, etc, and trying to find a way in with a guild heading into MC. Nothing really has captured my enthusiasm for a game as much as I had back then, and I think Devs, Blizzard included, should look back at how well that worked, back when seeing someone decked out in purple gear actually meant something.

Posted: Aug 4th 2010 1:26AM (Unverified) said

I mean Darkfall PVP is awesum because full loot system and they have satisfying fighting system

Posted: Aug 4th 2010 4:11AM wjowski said

...I see alot of arrogance and rose-colored nostalgia glasses here.

Posted: Aug 4th 2010 6:54PM drsinister said

I was a bit into the MUD scene when I was a kid, then at 19 I started playing Everquest in 1999 and then have been hooked on MMOs since, I am now 30 and have tried and played well over 70 different MMOs.

It has been a great experience to see how MMOs changed from Everquest to what it is today, but the community, to me, just is not like it was back during the Everquest / Ultima Online days.

Posted: Aug 5th 2010 4:56AM Jeromai said

My own experience is interesting for the big gap in between. I cut my teeth on BBS games (Legend of the Red Dragon, Tradewars 2002) and hopped onto MUDs, so I'm a vet from multiplayer prehistory.

Yet at that period, I chose purposefully to miss Everquest, Ultima Online and Dark Age of Camelot because :

a) they had a monthly subscription fee and I believed in 'free' in those days
b) a number of them had PvP and I wasn't big on that
c) the graphics were miserably primitive compared with the words of a MUD that unlocked the imagination
and d) I fancied I'd been there and done that on a MUD - the whole level up, kill mobs, be different races and classes, and then 'new game starts at max level' by grouping up to run big bad monster mobs. Except it was worst, instead of needing 4-10 players, you had to wait around and organize 25-50+ players.

Hearing people tell their stories of those virtual worlds occasionally makes me wish I'd been there for those early communities and adventures. But then I get pragmatic and figure that there were a lot of inconveniences and bad game design I'd much preferred to have missed.

Posted: Aug 6th 2010 5:43PM (Unverified) said

I progressed from muds => EQ I miss the community that the games like EQ where you got to know alot of random strangers because you where sitting with them in a zone grinding XP for hours (I dont miss the endless hours of sitting in thou zones thou)..

Now a days it seems like everyone like to explodes over every little thing that goes wrong... I remember sitting random zone and wiping and no one caring now a days you head is put on a stick if poo hits the fan

Posted: Aug 7th 2010 1:31AM Durinthal said

I guess I miss the community and social aspects more than anything else of the earlier years, but I suppose that's what happens when the genre becomes more popular.

Posted: Aug 10th 2010 1:41PM (Unverified) said

The Realm was my first graphic MMO (97-99), then Everquest was next. Nothing has ever topped Everquest as far as immersion and the social scene since '99. Everquest had one of the best communities out there back in the day.

So yeah, I am glad I was there to see it in its prime.