Posted: Aug 3rd 2010 10:34PM Cicadymn said

With the title and image, I was thinking of a completely different pie by the time I got to the article.

That's good to hear what they're doing though! It was always a little pet peeve of mine that when you get into a new city even after being declared some massive hero and not having one reference to all the craziness that came before.

Posted: Aug 3rd 2010 11:04PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
I can see this being a "fun in theory" type scenario that will have little impact when put into real use. If manipulation of an NPC = free weapon for you, but also labels you as a scoundrel when being talked to. Most people will just shrug and say... "Who cares, whatever Bro, where's my freebie"?

Posted: Aug 3rd 2010 11:12PM Dandmcd said

My goodness, these devs at Arenanet think of everything! Seriously, my hype for this game has exploded beyond any other MMO I've ever been interested in. The only thing that would make my hype for it go any higher would be to hear the mesmer class making a return.

Posted: Aug 3rd 2010 11:24PM (Unverified) said

Starting to worry now, it's all seeming a bit too good to be true, or that everything will be half-baked due to the amount of content in the game. :S

Posted: Aug 3rd 2010 11:56PM (Unverified) said

Half-baked? I hope not, I like my pie fully baked.

So.... just what kind of pies will GW2 offer? Cherry and apple are a must.

Posted: Aug 4th 2010 12:48AM ravenstorm said

I want blueberry!

Posted: Aug 4th 2010 6:47AM Dblade said

Yeah, I'm thinking it's too good to be true as well. Especially for a game charging no monthly or cash shop fees of any kind, from a sequel that wasn't known for depth outside of PvP. I gusss wait and see.

Posted: Aug 4th 2010 8:08AM Tanek said

@Dblade

I'm not sure anyone ever said no "cash shop fees of any kind", so I don't know how much hope I'd put on that. I'd imagine there will be some form of in-game or, maybe more likely, out of game shop for things like cosmetic outfits, name changes, additional character slots, etc. I would be surprised if it had anything that really affected the game itself, though.

Posted: Aug 4th 2010 8:30AM Ocho said

Keep in mind, the devs for GW2 a while back came right out and stated (I'm sure theres a Massively article about it from a while ago, that how I remember it) something like "If we say anything about the game, its not that we're thinking about putting it in, or that we're developing the feature in the future. Any feature we discuss is already in the game and has already gone through extensive testing."

Pretty much everything they reveal will already be in there. The only "too good to be true" is how we perceive it when we play and how we use the feature. Personally, I love storyline, so I'll use the heck out of it... I'm not really into RP, but extra immersion is never a bad thing.

I want this game to come out now. Really. Now. I'll drop every other game when this one comes out and play this for months if it lives up to all the hype. But I also don't have a shoddy half-assed product. I hope they take as long as they need to, but not a second more. :)

Posted: Aug 4th 2010 9:17AM MrsAngelD said

Apparently you guys haven't had much association with Anet, first off this game has been in development for over 2 and half yrs now(That's how long I've been hanging on waiting for it's release). Also Anet doesn't talk about something and not have it surface. Everything they ever talked about changing or doing in Guild Wars they followed through with. There were no half baked promises of any kind, if they said it was going to happen, it in fact happened.

Also, Guild Wars as of right now has an in game store where you can buy extra bank vaults, character slots, cosmetics, PVP unlock kits, cosmetic items, sex changes and makeovers for your toons, as well as expansion packs. So I have no doubt that we will see the same thing in Guild Wars 2.

Posted: Aug 3rd 2010 11:50PM Graill440 said

I like pie.

Posted: Aug 4th 2010 12:04AM agitatedandroid said

My only concern isn't the game but the people playing the game. Don't get me wrong, I think you're all swell folks. Admit it though, some of you are bunny hopping madmen who think "immersion" is for freaks and will stop at nothing to break any sense of immersion I might have.

Posted: Aug 4th 2010 10:53AM (Unverified) said

this... game... will be... awesome

Posted: Aug 4th 2010 1:59AM Hockster said

If Anet can pull off even half of what they want this game is going to kick some serious ass. Having been in the closed alpha test for three years I'm fully confident they actually can do it.

Posted: Aug 4th 2010 3:00AM Joshua Przygocki said

So since I basically mastered talking to NPCs in Dragon Age...

Posted: Aug 4th 2010 3:14AM Jade Effect said

This reminds me of that npc in the Guild Wars: Eye of the North expansion that'll proclaim your titles when you get close. "Oh, you must be a rich guy, you are a treasure hunter!" and stuff like that. Though you might be pleasantly surprised at first, it gets old fast as the npc never shuts up and keeps repeating the same thing.

I wonder what kind of reaction will happen when an angelic good guy and the dastardly kicker of kittens approach a npc at the same time. Will the npc go into a spasm if twenty people of different personalities just run past him?

Posted: Aug 4th 2010 4:01AM Dirame said

Just like the NPC in EOTN who doesn't go into a spasm when 5 people stand close to him, he just goes through them one by one. So I'd say they'll talk about the closest persons to them; that is if you run past while they are talking about the person that ran past before you, they probably won't talk about you.

Posted: Aug 4th 2010 4:57AM Minofan said

I just cannot remember the term, but I'm sure that NPC reactions will be in the same-area-different-experience bracket e.g. the old example of 2 players standing next to an NPC - if they died in your personal story you won't see them but the other player will.

I really cannot remember the term for this, but even Free Realms does it in a persistant world setting so it'll certainly be achievable for the GW2 team.

Posted: Aug 4th 2010 5:18AM Sladden said

Gosh, I am so hyped for this game and I know ArenaNet will sucess with everything they will put into the game, with 80% atleast. Hope this bad-ass mmoorpg will beat WoW so hard, even if love WoW. I think GW2 will be the alternative for old mmorpg players, and WoW for the kids...I hope so!

By the way, after a time now watching GW2 news, I feel like I want to play GW again. I have not been online there since 2 years ago. What else have happend to the game after "Eye of the North"? What else can you do today in GW besides Arena and the big story line? Hope I get some answears! :)

Posted: Aug 4th 2010 8:18AM Tanek said

Most of the game is probably just as you remember it, but ArenaNet has started the 'Guild Wars Beyond' campaign (http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Guild_Wars_Beyond) that will provide some story links between GW and GW2. So far there has been the 'War in Kryta' and a couple of other additions.

You can take a look at Massively's Flameseeker Chronicles columns (http://www.massively.com/category/flameseeker-chronicles/) to get an idea of what has been happening, but keep in mind that there will be story spoilers just in case you prefer to see the events yourself before you know what happens.

Also, Massively has a guild that meets on Thursdays, 9pm Eastern. We are working through Prophecies and Eye of the North right now and you can hop in to join us if you'd like.