Posted: Aug 3rd 2010 4:07PM (Unverified) said

Me... Me... Me...

Played EQ1 just after launch through Guk, dabbled with DAoC, Planetside, and WW2 Online during that time as well. Then got heavily involved with SWG, and left with the NGE. Played EQ2 from launch until early 2009. During that time dabbled with a bunch of other MMOs, and more specifically a lot of time in Eve Online.

During the past few years however, other personnel things have taken up most of my time, and I've been playing mostly single player games. However nothing replaces that social element of online play, and I have spent some considerable time playing DDO.

Most recently I have been playing APB, but I am having trouble liking the game. However their subscription plan is just what the doctor ordered for someone like me, with it being the purchase of playing time rather than a monthly sub.

So with all of that said, if EQ2 F2P meant playing on the live servers with my old guildmates, I would jump at the chance.

If not, I'll continue to play single player games and the odd F2P MMO.

Posted: Aug 3rd 2010 7:05AM tenfootgoatman said

I noted that in the article it said "Maybe the industry is completely F2P overseas (where they're also fond of child labor and David Hasslehoff), but here in America, AAA F2P is still reserved for games that are otherwise going down".

Does this mean to include Europe ? because we pretty much play all the same mmos as you guys across the pond . In fact our version of DDO is going down but not free to play yet so Americans embraced the free to play model a lot earlier than us in the EU .

The thing is in the Asian Market f2p is far different that it is in a western MMO . We have the hybrid model where as they have a cash shop one . Theres a big difference . The Hybrid model for me is really just a really long free trial thats based on content and not time . Perhaps we should stop calling these games free to play and differentuate between the buisness models .

Posted: Aug 3rd 2010 11:50AM Existentialist said

Different products for different customers. I want a "Level" playing field. Equal is the right word when describing where customers start out when playing p2p games. We each start out with access to the same characters and the outcomes of our relative "Power" depend on time Spent, intelligence, and natural ability. Now all of these are our qualities when in reference to the game not to life in general. One may be very successful in life while not so successful in-game.

The argument presents itself, why can't I apply how successful I am in life with to augment how successful I am in-game? Well then that means on the basis of equality compared to someone who only uses play time as currency then you're bringing in another element, Money. So then the once "Equal" playing field (in which the word equal is only applied to the playing field rather than outcomes) is no longer equal because those who can purchase things with money will buy their way to being better than you than rather earning it.

This isn't an argument of right or wrong (or well it isn't until the paths cross) more it is an argument of what kind of product you want. If you don't have enough time to give to the game but you make a lot of money then play F2P, if you have enough time but would rather a equal playing field, play P2P. If you want a middle road where you can both buy in-game currency and where players feel they still have a level playing field, play EVE! (lol)

You like Pepsi, I like Dr. Pepper. Don't change my Dr. Pepper to make it taste more like your Pepsi. This is what is upsetting so many people about EQ2 and with SOE in general. In SWG I had my Dr. Pepper then Pepsi came out (WoW) and SOE wanted my Dr. Pepper to be more like Pepsi because it sold better, so then they ruined the tasted I was accustomed to. Same with EQ2, DDO proved to be successful in their F2P model so now SOE is changing EQ2 to see if they can't again chase more money.

It is all a matter of obligation to your consumers, SOE seems to care more about the newest thing than they do caring for their player base. That is why I don't do buisness with SOE anymore.

Posted: Aug 4th 2010 1:22PM (Unverified) said

....... I'm more worried how imbalanced SOE is making the game, There are items in the cash shop saying, "Kills any non heroic monster in one hit"

Level 1's on the test are running around killing level 71 monsters,

Posted: Aug 3rd 2010 4:08PM (Unverified) said

Well as anybody can see the coments said not yet. So I guess were going to get it on live soon.

Not yet means its comming soon to a sever near you

Posted: Aug 8th 2010 11:12AM Noaani said

The issue with how SOE are doing this lies in the segregated servers, and their refusal to see free-to-play and RMT as separate and not necessarily co-dependant ideas.

SOE asked its players if we want full RMT in EQ2. Obviously, since we were already paying a subscription, the answer was no. What they did not ask us was if we would accept RMT in EQ2, or would we rather have them remove the games 14 day free trial and replace it with an unlimited duration free server to coax new players to the game, but not to our servers.

They could well have added a content focused free-to-play service, where players get basic overland zones without needing to pay, but need to pay to access dungeons or instances. They could have added a system similar to Runescape, where an entire portion of the game is reserved for players that have an active subscription, with the remainder available to all. Either of these would have met with comparatively few complaints from existing players that are starved for new blood in the game.

Instead, they implement a system that will see players receiving dropped items in their first 10 levels (2 hours play for an experianced MMO player that is new to EQ2) that they are unable to use without upgrading their account. They are creating servers that cater to transient players, with very few stable players on them to form the foundations of communities - try and form a working guild in DDO from only free-to-play accounts.

While the idea of free-to-play seems to be flavor of the month, there are right ways and wrong ways to go about it. The way SOE has done it in EQ2 seems as though it is designed to make them a short term profit, but with no sustainability in the long term.

One Shots: The sacred bosom dance