Posted: Aug 2nd 2010 1:25PM (Unverified) said

This was a very cool column. Despite being an avid fan of this game thusfar, it never even occurred to me that those snippets of text might actually be more than just eye-candy!

I loved reading this. Now I'm all excited to find out just what these hint toward for each planet, and I'm off to see if I can't find some text to decipher myself!

Posted: Aug 2nd 2010 1:36PM (Unverified) said

Sweet.

Posted: Aug 2nd 2010 1:49PM Aquaryon said

Excellent article! I really enjoyed it Larry. I really never put much thought on the hidden words. Thanks! Keep up the great work :)

Posted: Aug 2nd 2010 2:25PM (Unverified) said

Coruscant

* Coordinates. Again, this is perplexing. What is so important about the word "coordinates" that it was listed on the planet's webpage?

It could pertain to 0,0,0 the coordinates for Coruscant. Meaning that it is the center of the galaxy. It could mean that during the game it will get the title Triple Zero.

Posted: Aug 2nd 2010 2:30PM Larry Everett said

Thanks for the comments, all of you

To reply to Dext:
No, the 0-0-0 coordinate is not explored (to my knowledge). The closet planet to the galactic center is actually Tython or Byss. I'm not sure off the top of my head which one it is, but it is not Coruscant.

Posted: Aug 2nd 2010 2:42PM (Unverified) said

Very true. In the literal sense, yes Tython and Byss are located in the deep core. If I remember correctly Byss is actually deeper into the Galactic core than Tython. And it's definitely further in than Coruscant. 0,0,0, is the hyperspace coordinates for Coruscant, but I believe that it could mean something deeper.

Thinking about it though, it could have been the first mention of space travel...

Posted: Aug 2nd 2010 2:51PM Lateris said

You have to wonder if this will lead to in game items. It is like an ARG game. I love it.

Posted: Aug 2nd 2010 4:05PM (Unverified) said

SPOILER:

Could this be Nemro, referred to under Hutta? Kidnapped somehow..

Posted: Aug 2nd 2010 4:21PM (Unverified) said

Dug a bit on Tython:

It's possible that the great hunt was not completely successful in removing all of the Terentatek and this may be one of the beasts still on Tython. Pretty large references to these beasts and their link to Sith which may indicate some sort of 'Taint.'

Posted: Aug 2nd 2010 4:22PM Larry Everett said

Impressive -- most impressive.

Posted: Aug 2nd 2010 4:23PM (Unverified) said

Awesome article.......Two thumbs up mate...

Posted: Aug 2nd 2010 8:33PM Graill440 said

Nice to see this kind of thing. In asherons call and a couple others i often wondered about the words or phrases that could be found, ultimately they went nowhere, just meaningless eyecandy.

It will be interesting to see if someone with creativity is actually going to randomize exploration or encounters through dumbluck or intense research, and drive the lore or storyline with these finds or lack of finding a clue or word, driving the MMO forward....or back.

To do this effectively they (devs) will need to prevent exploration of the client in pics and code so locations or lost languages, clues, or words arent skimmed and released like one title does with great fanfare at every update or patch.

Posted: Aug 2nd 2010 9:37PM claytondora said

From one Star Wars fan to another, you've done a great job with this Column. I enjoy every weeks Hyperspace beacon, you cover a lot of great expanded universe content. Keep it up.

Posted: Aug 2nd 2010 9:49PM (Unverified) said

About Belsavis, yc (pronounced eesh or ish) is a Mando'a adjective suffix modifier; it would end a word not start it. My guess is that Esh-ka is some unknown race that is imprisoned there.

Also for Voss, I found two more phrases:

Shrine of Healing

and

Nightmare Lands

Thoughts?

Posted: Aug 2nd 2010 11:38PM (Unverified) said

Death's Claws eh?

I can foresee evil Wookies gang!

Posted: Aug 3rd 2010 3:55AM (Unverified) said

I've gotten to the point where I can read Aurebesh just barely, and very slowly, usually by recognising the more common letters. Aurebesh itself is one of the most impressive Expanded Universe elements, expanding upon random symbols shown in Episode IV, along with the whole Mandalorian phenomenon.

As for translating the Aurebesh on SWTOR, those looking for a short cut might find the Holonet Project http://www.holonetproject.net/ useful, it was set up for this express purpose. I'm having a lot of fun translating it myself though.

As for the hidden meanings, I quite like the mix of things that are informative or obvious, along with the really obscure stuff, such as 'tainted' for Tython.

And Vrblthers made me triple check before I was sure I was reading it right as well.

Great Beacon Larry

Posted: Aug 3rd 2010 8:04AM Lafajet said

Concerning the Gormaks:

The Wookieepedia entry for the Voss indicates that the phrase is a Voss decree that was enacted after the Voss Mystics recieved a Force Vision. Doesn't really tell us the REASON that the last Gormak can't die, but it is interesting if the Voss are the ones who are concerned about it.

Posted: Aug 3rd 2010 8:11AM Lafajet said

Why did I forget the link? Reference fail.

Posted: Aug 3rd 2010 8:12AM Lafajet said

Bah, today isn't my day. Don't forget the last ) in the link.

Posted: Aug 3rd 2010 7:47PM (Unverified) said

From the little I've learned about the Voss, that actually makes sense. To me they seem to be almost religious in the way they follow the Mystics' visions, regardless of what they may require.