Posted: Aug 2nd 2010 11:09AM (Unverified) said

I would have been happier if they had just done away with levels entirely. There really isn't enough info about them yet to have any real idea of good or bad. I hope they are put in more just so for marketing can say "oh look, our game has 80 levels too", than a move away from the GW1's way of handling levels.

As to ArenaNet's understanding of their player-base, all I can say is, "can ArenaNet PLEASE take over Aion as well as their Guild Wars games, so the NCWest people can go ruin, um I mean westernize, Blade & Soul?"

While there have always been a few things ArenaNet goofted up on with GW, most of which are due to the fact the original vision of the game as mostly a PvP game with a good PvE section to get skills, changed into people wanting a full MMO and lots and lots of PvE content to go along with it. So the major problems (too many skills, no auction hall, etc.) can really be traced to the game's success. It wasn't originally designed that way and I think they did a pretty darn good job adding so much over time, even if it also brought problems too. Imagine what they could do to fix Aion, if given full control over that!

Posted: Aug 2nd 2010 11:21AM Dirame said

Aion is gonna have to stay the way it is, if Arenanet got their hands on it people who enjoy the game the way it is will scream SWG NGE.

Posted: Aug 2nd 2010 11:48AM (Unverified) said

Considering the numbers of people that canceled their subscriptions this weekend, I can't imagine that would be a lot of people, at least not on the Asmodian side. Of all the people I played with through beta and the first 9 months, it seems only 1 is left and I expect she'll be gone once Final Fantasy XIV starts up. I am now leader of a bunch of empty legions that were given to me because everyone quit. On the up side, I have a lot of extra legion storage now. Not much fun trying to do anything when you can't step out of any fortress or outpost without being ganked by hordes of the other side, all with maxed out gold gear.

Guess I can go play my Elyos character, as I don't have to worry about Asmodians on that server, forts are all green (Elyos) and will stay that way; but then the Elyos are quitting from boredom there too. Sad.

Posted: Aug 2nd 2010 11:53AM (Unverified) said

How do you know we are getting one more profession reveal?

Posted: Aug 2nd 2010 12:31PM Mikx said

In an interview someone said we'd probably get another profession reveal before gamescom.

Posted: Aug 2nd 2010 12:30PM Ocho said

They have to... having just released the novel (and I'm not that far into it myself, around chapter 8 currently), but they've already made one profession not mentioned yet unmistakably clear: Necromancer. One of the main characters is a sylvari necromancer. No way they can have this and not put it in game.

Although, the main character in the novel, Dougal, does not fit any of the previous classes for GW. He's a thief/burglar/rogue relying on wits and speed, disarming traps, being a smooth talker and the like... is it going to be a new burglar class that will be revelaed?

Posted: Aug 2nd 2010 1:08PM (Unverified) said

Yeah, I would like something like a thief/rogue better than assassin. It would fit the world of GW fine.

Posted: Aug 2nd 2010 1:48PM Tanek said

I was thinking similar things about Dougal's profession and what it might mean for the game. I don't know that there has been any mention of traps or puzzle solving yet, but they also have not said much at all about dungeons.

Then again, given the stance on monk, having another single profession that holds an important role like trap disarmer may not be withing the GW2 design philosophy.

Interesting thought, though.

Posted: Aug 2nd 2010 4:37PM Dirame said

I would actually say that Dougal could be a ranger, because at the very beginning he had a sword and a dagger which Rangers have as equipment in GW2. And he has knowledge about traps which also points at his "rangerness", also he's acrobatic which is also a ranger/sin trait.

We can never know for sure until it is said though.

Posted: Aug 3rd 2010 10:14AM Ocho said

Thats true... being that its a novel, suppossed to be more realistic, doesn't hold to game mechanics, and that holds a lot more flexibility, you won't hear someone say "I'm a ranger" or "I'm a warrior" or "I'm an assassin", they are just more standard adventurers and use weapons, and generally stay away from magic. Dougal could even just be a standard warrior that just has a high intelligence, perception, dodge, evade, what-have-you and is using it more to his advantage because thats just who he is.

But its true, we really won't know until they're carefully planned timing tells us. :) Personally, though, I really can't wait. GW2, if it lives up to the hype, will blow everything else out of the water.

Posted: Aug 2nd 2010 4:36PM (Unverified) said

The level 80 cap is way higher than the 35 I was expecting (and had been previously hinted at by the devs). I trust that Arenanet have settled for 80 in order to fit in with the gameplay/gameworld they are creating.

Posted: Aug 2nd 2010 5:50PM (Unverified) said

Regardless of the next profession revealed, I bet the skill videos will be interesting!

Posted: Aug 3rd 2010 2:12PM (Unverified) said

I don't really care what the number is, I play games to enjoy every moment. However it is a sad reflection on the mental capacity of many MMO gamers that if the number was lower that WoWs number, a portion of the possible player base would consider that bigger number = better and not buy it. Those people are fools.