Posted: Jul 31st 2010 4:18PM (Unverified) said

Back when I played WAR I never really crossed realmed but was accused of it a lot. We would have organized duels and group v group duels for fun, away from all the chaos of massive zergs fighting it out. Obviously, we were accused a lot for cross realming back then but it really wasn't about that. We just wanted to fight for fun. I'm not sure if this is what you were describing in the beginning of your post or if it was actual organized cross realming where one participant gave a free kill away.

Either way, in my a game like WAR I'm completely supportive of people wanting to get together away from the main game and duke it out for fun without worry of outside interruption. On the other hand you can't really be for people trading kills for renown gain unless you're the one doing it. It's basically just cheating.

Posted: Jul 31st 2010 5:19PM Shadanwolf said

I played DAOC for almost 6 years.Cross realming was not allowed when the game started...with the producer and developers holding true to the original vision for the game.They then decided to allow it(complexly undermining the basic premise of the game)...and injected a cancer into the game play that contributed to it's demise.

The developers of WAR have acted like they had a lobotomy when WAR was developed and incorporated none of the knowledge should have come from their DAOC experience.The result...the financial and gaming mess called WAR.

Posted: Jul 31st 2010 5:21PM J Brad Hicks said

And people accuse me of not knowing what I'm talking about, when I say: after EA laid off all of the GMs who used to monitor the open RVR lakes for cheaters, the cheaters took that game over, root and branch. Which means, as far as I am concerned, the cheaters can have it. I don't find it fun to cheat, and I find it even less fun to be repeatedly beaten by cheaters.

It's a (expletive deleted) shame, though, because before the cheaters took it over, keep sieges were the first time in the history of the MMO industry that I ever found PvP fun.

Posted: Jul 31st 2010 5:34PM twittles said

i have a solution, remove reknown for 1v1 kills that arent in skirmishes. this isnt really the problem war has anyway, its biggest issue is that pvp is the end game and and the ability gap from the time you start in the end game till your rr 80 is to much for any but the hardcore fan to stick around for. no one wants to spend months on end getting curbstomped by other players who are 40 ranks higher, when they log in. there are whole guilds who avoid t4 and reroll for t1 through 3 because of this. not going to mention any of the class imbalances. i once took on 12 players with a buddy of mine on my dok, and guess who won us 2 honest engine.

Posted: Jul 31st 2010 6:36PM Graill440 said

Warhammer some of the funnest pvp combat i have seen at tier one, hands down, after that the game goes to a bucket of foul smelling fertilizer.

What the devs were thinking, what they failed to listen to by potential players simply addresses the problems devs create on their own, they are many folks out there with much better ideas and because they either feel they are smarter or they simply cant change poor choices so far into development, games like Warhammer end up being like this.

Posted: Jul 31st 2010 6:12PM Graill440 said

LOTR does this extensively. Better to call it what it is, padding.

Players will setup "events" on servers and plan these out carefully ensuring certain guilds fight each other and friends of guilds. On any given day the same folks that play both sides of the coin in MP set attacks in the moors up for certain timeframes and guild guides/masters will let the other know which side is to be farmed.

You can also catch the occasional group of folks in a remote corner just getting killed over and over until infamy/renown is no longer viable and then waiting until the following day.

LOTR has some pretty detailed server tracking and the trends shown are pretty obvious with the same groups by name and by side doing the same thing daily, yet nothing is done. I guess the old addage "hear no evil, see no evil" explains this well. If you miss the scheduled times you miss out on any points, then your moors goes dead until the next day.

The problem for other folks is the events are invite (by guild) only and i have seen what are called skimmers going for that odd point here and there during these events, but thats game mechanics for you and dev choices.

Seeing an article on warhammer and them doing the same thing is no suprise.

Posted: Jul 31st 2010 9:59PM Wisdomandlore said

One vs One nights are not cross-realming. That's just an activity certain people set up occasionally. If someone actually does cross-realm in LOTRO (which is pretty obvious), there are kins on several servers that self-police tit. If they see it happening, they call in raids to kill the offenders. After that those names are added to a community blacklist and that character will not be allowed to join any raids run by those kin leaders (which on some servers is 75% of the raids).

Posted: Jul 31st 2010 8:00PM Jade Effect said

Stuff like standard trading for renown points has been in the game since launch. Nobody should be surprised at this, nor act all shocked when it happens. Humans are simply economic creatures, tending to take the shortest path possible or do the most efficient thing for the maximum payoff.

Posted: Aug 1st 2010 2:26AM (Unverified) said

Greg it's hard to take your article seriously when you open with something like "which offers arguably the best PvP in any MMO currently available"

I would argue that perhaps you haven't actually played a lot of PVP with a comment like that.

Posted: Aug 1st 2010 8:07AM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
My thoughts exactly. Its such a broad and obviously naive statement. Its pretty much and insult to your readers intelligence.

Posted: Aug 1st 2010 2:37PM Laephis said

Yeah, if the goal was get me to stop reading after the first sentence, mission accomplished.

Posted: Aug 1st 2010 3:24AM CCon99 said

DAoC > WAR. If only they made an upgraded DAoC engine, with new graphics, and with a Warhammer theme. Ahhh would could have been.

But no, instead they gave us a watered downgrad to DAoC that was a poor WoW wannabe with a few scenarios and RvR "lakes" thrown in. If WAR will be remembered for anything positive, it will be that it introduced the Public Quest to the MMO genre.

Posted: Aug 1st 2010 2:57PM (Unverified) said

Personally, I'd like to see them introduce the ability to duel in both 1v1 and XvX situations but have there be zero renown/xp/inf/loot rewarded for it.

That way, those who truly wish to do it for the fun of it can and anyone found doing something like this and not using the /duel command could be treated for what they are: exploiters.

Posted: Aug 2nd 2010 2:04PM ShadowWar said

Organized duels are considered technically to be cross-realming. That said, it's recognized by Mythic that it is a form of play that people enjoy pursuing and taking part in. Last official comment I read about it more or less said they would let it stand as-is, and they were kicking around ideas about it.

As for cross-realming in general, it happens, but is nowhere near the widespread epidemic people percieve. With addons like State of the Realm, and the creation of map-icons that display where combat is taking place, the need for it minimal in regards to the greater combat of the game. Nothing I've seen in the two years of play has convinced me that cross-realming is a major problem.

Posted: Aug 10th 2010 5:28PM Boulderbolg said

I've seen corss-realming in DAoC, War, WoW, and Aion. Well maybe not Aion, since farming NPC's gives better PvP points... Anyway, back on subject, I'd like to share my experience with cross-realming in DAoC. There really is fine line between cross-realming, and sportsmanship, but that fine line can be defined. For example, I played a lot of 8v8 (sometimes misleadingly called "gank squads"). Our goal was to seek out another 8 man group, and fight them cleanly and fairly to the death. "Adding" or "assjamming" other 8v8 fights was considered to be rude by some, always acceptable by others, and acceptable only if it was the other two realms fighting (thus resulting in a 3-way skirmish). The fact of the matter though was that in an open world PvP system, as an 8v8 team, you just had to deal with it. That was the nature of the game, and it was the reason we played the game... you never knew what would happen in an open world skirmish, especially in the 3-realm system of DAoC.

I had guildies that would participate in "stealther duels". I considered this crossing the line. Now, in DAoC, stealther fighting had its completely own set of social rules and style. Often, 1v1 would be respected by onlookers, but the 1v1's that happened weren't setup by the players. They just sort of naturally happened from time to time. The duels on the other hand were intentionally setup in a far away place in the Frontiers. Stealthers would bring their bots, and they would take turns dueling each other. After talking to one guildie about it, who appreciated the point of view that these pre-made duels were going against the spirit of the game, he decided to give me the location of the duels when they happened. I'd take my 8 man group and wipe the floor with those cross-realmers! Perhaps my actions were in and of themselves "cross-realming", even though I never received locations of the duels from someone from the other realm, but this is an example of the community policing itself.

There is a difference between the sportsmanship of allowing two players to duke it out in a game with open world PvP like DAoC/War, and communicating over some other medium to set up fights that occur away from PvP objectives or obvious places where other PvP would be happening. It goes against the spirit of any open world PvP game, where skirmishes aren't supposed to be predictable and mediated, but offering randomness and choices that even the most skilled players find challenging to deal with.

Posted: Sep 13th 2010 1:43AM (Unverified) said

The people I know who enjoy dueling most are rr80s. How is that cross-realming? I cross-realm because I have close friends on both sides. And I've found that dueling helps me better understand my combat mechanics against different classes. Getting renown from dueling nights would be a joke for me, mainly because I spend a lot of time standing around AND, as a bright wizard, I lose pretty much every duel. All the handwringing about cross-realming and what MIGHT happen is just that, hand-wringing.

Perfect Ten: Strategies for juggling multiple MMOs