Posted: Jul 31st 2010 11:40AM (Unverified) said

EVE by a landslide. I've never seen another game where many corporations are totally dedicated to crafting and manufacturing, and some corps are completely dedicated to crafting certain types of ships or modules. Everything in the game, except I think skillbooks, is made entirely by the playerbase, from ships to ammo to modules.

Runner ups would be Fallen Earth followed by LOTRO

Posted: Jul 31st 2010 11:43AM Carolina said

I've only played WoW and LotRO, and of the two, I had more fun with LotRO's crafting.

Everyone in guild said it was boring, but I loved to Farm and Cook. I had a toon who I'd just do that, providing food for my other ones. I like having to put together what is needed, and being able to Farm the ingredients rather then gathering in the wild.

Also, the whole profession guild deal is something else to do everyday, and the crit chances something to look for on the max level, rather then feeling it's useless to have apprentice level maxed. It was great for gear makers to spoil the alts rotten with nice stuff.

Posted: Jul 31st 2010 12:04PM Shadanwolf said

First thought....Vanguard.You can build a ship to sail...or your own house.

Yes crafting is a very big deal to me and helps decide what world I will live in.For now...I am without a gaming world.I love history and in these trying times find understanding the true history of America most enlightening and refreshing.So...I read.

Posted: Jul 31st 2010 12:08PM (Unverified) said

EVE, hands down. I just spent 6 months building a Dreadnaught, one of the capital ships in the game, almost entirely by myself (only had help with some blueprints) which included mining every single mineral needed.

No game I had tried before has such depth or gives as much satisfaction with its crafting system.

Posted: Jul 31st 2010 12:08PM Seffrid said

LoTRO, Fallen Earth and EQ2 for me so far as the best crafting goes, and AoC and WAR for the worst.

Posted: Jul 31st 2010 12:21PM Hotswap said

Lineage 2 was alway awesome because there was a chance of failure...

Posted: Aug 1st 2010 7:21AM Krazed said

Mortal Online or Eve.

Posted: Jul 31st 2010 12:28PM (Unverified) said

Of the MMORPGs I play regularly, I think I like LOTRO's crafting the best. Its deeper than WoWs but not too complicated, plus unlike some systems, it promotes synergy among your crafting skills but also relies on outside components. With WoW, there was only a few ingredients required by other professions (i.e. the rods for enchanting and the like) while a tailoring item requires leather from the forester and jewels from the jewelcrafter (as well as random drops). Plus I like that the higher end crafting recipes for each level are usually single use.

Posted: Jul 31st 2010 12:40PM (Unverified) said

Vanguard is Easily #1

Posted: Jul 31st 2010 1:03PM Pigeonko said

Free Realms. No other game has had me laughing so hard at the crafting. I mean heck minigames for crafting?! Awesome.

Posted: Jul 31st 2010 2:05PM (Unverified) said

Starwars Galaxies was by far the best of any mmorpg I have played. No contest.

Posted: Jul 31st 2010 2:29PM (Unverified) said

If anyone remembers Horizons, I feel like that was one of the best. I dont think the game is around anymore, but their crafting system was not only fun, but important. In order for you to do things in PvE you had to have crafters unlock different areas of the game, it was just very cool how they set it up.

Posted: Jul 31st 2010 3:32PM oxlar said

I try very hard to forget everything about Horizons. That was one of the biggest scams purpetrated upon the customer in the history of games.

Posted: Jul 31st 2010 2:18PM (Unverified) said

SWG, far and away the deepest most interesting crafting in any mmo.

Posted: Jul 31st 2010 2:35PM Straylightix said

I'd have to go with EVE Online. Nothing is as more rewarding as producing a module or ship yourself, whether you sell it on the market or keep it for yourself. There's also no worry about outgrowing these items if you keep them for yourself; you aren't going to reach a point when say the ship you manufactured for yourself is going to become obsolete after you reach a certain point in the game. There is always a place and time when anything you have produced can come in handy.

Aion could be a close second, but the problem I have is the time required to level such skills to a point when the crafting is actually beneficial, and that by the time I have crafted myself a weapon or piece of armor, I'm not going to outlevel it in a day or two. Finding the actual recipes can be very tedious too.

Posted: Jul 31st 2010 2:26PM wjowski said

Tale in the Desert. It's what the whole game revolves around after all.

Posted: Jul 31st 2010 3:13PM (Unverified) said

I love LotrO but in the words of Bucky Katt its crafting system does what a hoover does. SWG was far superior.

Posted: Jul 31st 2010 3:08PM CCon99 said

I would say SWG before the NGE, even though Vanguard's system was probably better. But original SWG gets my vote because 1. You could be just a crafter and never touch combat if you chose. 2. At the time, there were no loot items (no good ones at least) and the market was run by each server's crafting population. If you wanted a really good weapon, you didn't just go to a wikipedia website and find out which quest or dungeon to do to get it. You had to contact your favorite crafter and strike a deal with them to build you your perfect weapon. Sometimes you might have to even talk to multiple crafters to get you certain components for it to be built.

Posted: Jul 31st 2010 3:18PM Devilstower said

UO's crafting, and how it was fit into the economy, is the one thing that everyone seems to have missed when copying their ideas for future games.

Second best is Dark Age of Camelot. Lord of the Rings Online is decent, but has some real irritations in the way that each skill area is bottlenecked by dependencies on items they can't craft.

Posted: Jul 31st 2010 4:40PM claytondora said

SWG, pre-rape, had just about the most engaging crafting I've seen in a game. The multitude of branching professions that the crafting tree's offered was incredible. Also,The ability to experiment with the items you created, making improved blueprints, also allowed one crafter to distinguish himself from another, even if they were crafting the same item, is something I sorely miss from other crafting systems. Crafting was almost a game unto itself, and an engaging and rewarding one at that.

Make My MMO: September 14 - 20, 2014

Posted on Sep 20th 2014 6:00PM

Perfect Ten: Terrible, terrible MMO names

Posted on Sep 20th 2014 3:00PM

The Stream Team: Anchors aweigh in ArcheAge!

Posted on Sep 20th 2014 1:00PM