Posted: Jul 31st 2010 2:38PM wjowski said

Don't know about LOTOR but EQ2 Extended is going to crash hard once people realize that that basic subscription servers are cheaper.

Posted: Jul 31st 2010 3:18PM Ayenn said

Could it be that is the plan? EQ2X is intended to drive the F2P EQ2X players to the regular servers? That would be a master plan if I ever heard of one.

Oh, wait, this is SOE we are talking about. They are not that smart...

Posted: Aug 1st 2010 5:57PM (Unverified) said

My wife and I played one MMORPG pretty regularly for two years (WoW), before stopping when we learned we were expecting our first child. $14.99 a month looks a lot different to my parental eyes than it did pre-baby.

I heard about LOTRO's decision to go F2P through a friend, and decided to give it a whirl. I have to say, I've fallen in love with the game. While I won't be able to plunk down the same fee as a subscriber on a monthly basis, I do know I will be paying some $ on my terms to enjoy the game.

With the economy the way it is, I think the F2P model works best for those feeling a pinch. I can still game (and the months without WoW were painful, to be honest), and I can watch my budget. Even when things improve, I think this move will bear good fruit for LOTRO in the long run.

Besides, when all is said and done, it is a beautiful game with some very friendly players. Besides, I've loved the Hobbit since I was a kid, and having adventures in a world you grew up reading about is just awesome.

Posted: Aug 2nd 2010 6:13AM (Unverified) said

The only problem with keeping them separate is that as players grow, they will want to start using the store. In EQII if they use the store, their character gets moved to a new server? If that's the case, all their allies, kin etc, will still be on the free server and ne'er the twain shall meet.

Posted: Aug 2nd 2010 3:28PM (Unverified) said

Crud, I was excited to see that EQ2 was going F2P because I have a lot of friends who still play it, but I've had to give it up to save money.

But seeing that if I were to utilize their F2P service, I still couldn't play with my old guildmates since I would now be on another server.

Perhaps this is another angle that also shows why the SOE route perhaps isn't the right way to go.

If the servers weren't segregated, I would plop down a few extra bucks to unlock whatever races, classes, and whatever else I would need to get my old toons back up and running... if possible, and be back helping them raid and group whenever I could spare sometime with my old guildmates.

Posted: Aug 8th 2010 12:05AM twittles said

Ever since soe lost its lawsuit against RMT company. It has tried to add in services that these companies provide, since said company is making profits from their IP. So everyone shaking their fists at SOE should be shaking them at the companies selling gold/items and others in-game services and the courts that ruled in their favore or more to the point the players who buy these services making it profitable in the first place.