Posted: Jul 30th 2010 8:13AM (Unverified) said

I played the original Everquest for around 4 years and when my guild finally downed Quarm that was enough for me so I retired my warrior and never went back.

These days I have a family so play time is much smaller so I would never be able invest the kind of time I did into EQ. Due to this smaller goals suit my playtime much better.

Posted: Jul 30th 2010 9:25AM (Unverified) said

Hmm I never get the feeling that I "complete" an mmo. I guess that is part of the charm as well as the reason I burn out pretty quick playing them!

Posted: Jul 30th 2010 9:06AM (Unverified) said

When I was playing Anarchy Online, I finally got the Burden of Competence, which is an item from a major raid (at the time, raid sizes were 100+). The item had no class locks, and getting took months of raiding. To me, getting this item meant that I had finished the game.

Posted: Jul 30th 2010 9:29AM (Unverified) said

Once I got all the best in slot items for my Shaman in WOW LK and I saw that the next raid only came out in 3 months I decided I had accompished something and quit while I was on top lol never been back since approximatly 1.5 years

Posted: Jul 30th 2010 9:40AM (Unverified) said

just goes to show how crapy and easy and unrewarding the game became I defenetly felt much more accomplishment when I got my first epic item at lvl 60 in my first ever raid

Posted: Aug 1st 2010 10:14AM M1sterLee said

No, it shows how people play that game (and others) for the wrong reason. If you're only playing a game to acquire a 'best in slot' item then yes you are going to get bored because once you have it then there's nothing left to do than wait for the developer to make a better one. Followed by the inevitable moaning about how the items that took so long to get are no longer good enough.

Play a game for the fun of the game and you can still enjoy it years later.

For me, I felt quite good about soloing Molten Core recently on a character I made specifically for soloing old raids. I got all the gear I needed from PuGs and took my Perky Pug pet along and cleared the place in one night :oD

Posted: Jul 30th 2010 9:34AM Wisdomandlore said

Completing my first set of Class Armor for my WHM in FFXI felt like a huge accomplishment. It took the span of 10 levels, a month or two, and several raids. It's hard to get that kind of feeling from today's MMOs, where you replace your armor every few hours.

Posted: Jul 30th 2010 10:25AM GusSin said

For me it was when we killed Lich King in WoW. After doing all the hardmode achievements and getting Bloodbathed Frostbrood Vanquisher, I was, for the first time, on top of the raid progression. That was the only time I felt a sense of completion. I quit WoW a week after that.

Posted: Jul 30th 2010 10:58AM lizardbones said

Back in May while playing WoW, I got all of the seasonal achievements that were possible at that time. I wasn't done, but I sure felt "done". I'll reactivate my account for Cataclysm and to get the rest of the seasonal achievements.

Recently playing the 14 day trial of Fallen Earth I crafted a horse and some ammo for my modified paintball gun. That was pretty cool. Especially the horse.

Doing the challenges in StarCraft II, I got the gold level achievement in the 1st challenge (10 or fewer of my troops died in all three rounds combined).

Both of these were pretty short lived in terms of feeling a sense of completion, but it was there. I still feel "done" with WoW...at least for now.

Posted: Jul 30th 2010 11:58AM Dread said

Downing Rags for the first time and getting my Thunderfury. Then BC came along and ruined the game.....

Posted: Jul 30th 2010 1:50PM Panicbutton said

Finally winning the Great Northern War in Eve many years ago, I remember that many of us in our alliance (the original incarnation of BoB) felt like we'd "won Eve" at that point. That was a great sense of accomplishment.

More recently in WAR when our guild warband evolved to the point that we could regularly overcome any other force on our server in an even fight and frequently wiped the top enemy warbands on our server with 2:1 odds against us. It felt great to know that we'd literally perfected the art of warband fighting.

I don't get quite the same satisfaction from WoW raiding or gearing achievements, they're nice but don't really give the same feeling as beating some real live people (for me at least).

Posted: Jul 30th 2010 2:09PM VioletArrows said

I only get a sense of completion when it's some awful thing I never want to do again, like a really bad dungeon. Or I've maxed out crafting. ...Actually those are real similar. XP

Posted: Jul 30th 2010 2:29PM Djinn said

Because of my preferred playstyle (casual altoholic) I've never been "done" with an MMO in the sense of completing it. I've achieved goals, but if I stop playing its because something else caught my eye for the moment or I don't like the game enough to keep playing.

Posted: Jul 30th 2010 2:38PM Graill440 said

The finest sense of completion was skipping past the WOW references in this thread.

Whoa! Yep, i went there (laugh)

Seriously,
Usually canceling a trial or simply quitting a pos game is satisfying for me, knowing they wont be getting my cash.

No...... but really, i hate WOW. (grin)

Posted: Jul 30th 2010 2:39PM (Unverified) said

When I decked my WoW Warrior out in full Dreadnaught at level 60. I stopped playing shortly after that, though, I totally respect Blizzard's decision to make the endgame available to more casual players.

With an MMO, it really is a case of quitting while you're ahead, haha.

Posted: Jul 31st 2010 1:01AM (Unverified) said

I feel rewarded when i help to build a frendly and useful guild or corporation in the case of wow and eve online.