Posted: Jul 30th 2010 12:33PM wraith808 said

@alinos

Garriott paid *his own money* to go into space. People think that NC Soft sent him or that the money came from TR's budget or something, but reading is fundamental. http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,436545,00.html

So saying that his spaceflight took away from TR is like saying that you taking a vacation takes away from your job's bottom line.

Posted: Jul 30th 2010 9:42AM (Unverified) said

Someone pushed TR out the door way too soon. It was ahead of its time by several years --- years that could have been spent in development. I honestly, truly believe, in the blackest, deepest parts of my soul that Tabula Rasa would have completely turned the MMO world on its head if it had been given the time it needed to fully mature.

I have no doubt the penny-pinchers at NCSoft had EVERYTHING to do with TR's premature birth and subsequent mistreatment. The results of this lawsuit does not surprise me in the least.

I also have no doubt in my mind whatsoever that the clown GM (ROFL?) was none other than Mr. Garriot himself. His media personality just fits in with my impressions of ROFL from in-game so closely that the resemblance is uncanny.

Posted: Jul 30th 2010 10:15AM DevilSei said

Well, after they built and scrapped several versions of Tabula Rasa, including one version with unicorns, and hiring and firing god knows how many people, I can't really blame NCSoft for making him release something.

Hell, how would you like it if some guy came to your work place, and just started making things, then scrapping them, over and over and over, not selling a single thing while still being paid?

Posted: Jul 30th 2010 9:43AM mttgamer said

• Half a heart
Crud, well I'm sure NCsoft is big enough, that this wont make them self implode....but its hard to see a company developing (IMO) the most anticipated mmo coming (guild wars 2) get smacked like this. Just my two copper pieces

Posted: Jul 30th 2010 10:12AM Randomessa said

Fortunately, NCSoft is not developing GW2 (ArenaNet is); they are just the publisher.

Posted: Jul 30th 2010 9:59AM (Unverified) said

In your big, nasty corporate face, NCSoft!

Posted: Jul 30th 2010 11:28AM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
and the rich get richer

Posted: Jul 30th 2010 10:04AM Monkey D Luffy said

• Half a heart
I hate that guy so much, he's so annoying.

I'm pretty sure he has mental problems.
Sooner or later he will pull a Michel Jackson and build a themepark in his backyard called Space Nerverland.

Posted: Jul 30th 2010 10:16AM DevilSei said

He'd probably just name it Hal's Odyssey in Space.

Posted: Jul 30th 2010 6:21PM clik said

Get paid Garriot! Nice! Now all that needs to happen in my fantasy land is Arena Net finding a new publisher then I wont ever have to buy anything ever again that says NCsoft on it.

Posted: Jul 30th 2010 10:22AM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
Now would be a good time to purchase more stock in rat-tail wax. I have a sneaking suspicion it's going to go up in value.

Posted: Jul 30th 2010 10:24AM Nickelpat said

Queue the part where they bring Tabula Rasa back with all of the changes it had, gets a great dev team going on it, and I cry tears of happiness.

Or just bring back Tabula Rasa at all.

Please bring back Tabula Rasa...

Posted: Jul 30th 2010 3:55PM (Unverified) said

Amen! I loved TR and would go back to playing it in a heartbeat.

Posted: Jul 30th 2010 10:38AM Cavadus said

Maybe he should take that thirty million and salvage Tabula Rasa with it.

Nah, that won't happen...

Posted: Jul 30th 2010 10:41AM Unverfied B said

NC are the guys to blame for TR failure, not Garriot.

And well, screw NC, stupid company and record-holder for making crappy MMOs then killing them (TR, AA... and now eXteel)

Posted: Jul 30th 2010 10:48AM Temko said

28 mil?

that should be enough to re-launch Tabula Rasa.
Now.
as in... this fucking second.

Posted: Jul 30th 2010 10:49AM (Unverified) said

NCsoft you are simply the worst gaming company ever. Well maybe not ever but yes, you are bad.

Posted: Jul 30th 2010 11:38AM CheesecakeBandit said

Its about damn time! Now if only that settlement came with the TR IP... one step at a time I guess.

Posted: Jul 30th 2010 11:55AM Dirame said

In all honesy, NC ain't that bad, you guys should try Activision. I'm pretty sure you guys are just spiteful at NC because they were trying to protect finances by closing down the games you were playing and in many ways that is very unfair.

I loved TR but a failing game is a failing game. I don't know the whole story about Garriot vs NC but I do think he really shouldn't have spent so much money the way he did. I think he should have done it in a different way that actually directly correlated with improving the game for instance making cool features and things that would attract customers. And after he's made his money from TR who would have been able to go on his dream trip to space. At the same time it was pretty sly how NC kicked him in the nuts... also a bad move on NC's part.

Posted: Jul 30th 2010 12:14PM krakead said

Great news :) We can argue back and forth about who was to blame for what until we're blue in the face. But there are a few things that are certain:

1) NCSoft treated Garriott very shoddily indeed and the courts agree.
2) TR at launch was pretty crap. I was in beta and didn't bother subscribing.
3) Just before the plug was pulled the game had improved enormously and was *really* fun to play. After all the effort put in to turn the game around, to do this seems spiteful rather than good business sense.

I would love to play TR again and would drop all my other subs to go back. But realistically I think it's unlikely to rise again unless :(

Swordsman launches today