Posted: Jul 30th 2010 3:12PM ScottishViking said

"It's hard to properly explain why he's that special brand of aggravating that got the attention of the entire community, but I'd easily put Jeets in the top five most famous DDO NPCs"

Actually, I think a "Most Annoying MMO NPCs" would be funny as heck. My vote: LOTRO's Amarthiel in Book XV. I hate FedEx quests at the best of times, but that lazy, crazy she-demon sends you on the most maddening back-and-forth between Delossad and Rivendell (with a little Gath Forthnir thrown in for good measure). Here's a Protip, Amarthiel: MOVE TO RIVENDELL. IT'S JUST UP THE HILL. For much of Book XV, I felt like I was putting the Rivendell stablemaster's kids through college. *groan*

Posted: Jul 30th 2010 4:35PM (Unverified) said

I think Sara Oakheart is a little more annoying. I mean, could she walk any slower? A good item for the Turbine Store would be a "Tome of Sara Oakheart: increases Sara Oakheart's speed by over 9000% so you can finish the instance in a reasonable time".
But I do agree that the last book is the worst in terms of travel time.

Posted: Jul 30th 2010 4:53PM ScottishViking said

Sara Oakheart comes in somewhere in the top, for sure. Legolas is no picnic either: "Come back here you pointy-eared berzerker!! Do you have a suicide impulse or something? How have you managed to stay alive for this long?!"

Posted: Jul 30th 2010 6:14PM DataShade said

You can access MyDDO in-game by hitting Ctrl+M. Some of the lottories run for ~16 hours - you may actually be able to enter into multiple different lottos in one day. It's worth double-checking while in game.

Also, alternate characters won't auto-load into Sunny-side Korthos, but you can always talk to the first mate on the pier.

Posted: Jul 31st 2010 11:32PM Jack Pipsam said

or when you get to snowy u go to the harbor and come back and it will be sunny, no need to make new guy/girl

Posted: Jul 31st 2010 7:02AM Bhagpuss said

Somewhat weird write-up.

I just started DDO a week or two ago and can't say I even noticed Jeets. He didn't seem any more annoying, or even present, than any other random NPC in any MMO. He's certainly no Nathan Ironforge.

I also entirely miss your point about creating a character, runing him through the tutorial to flag the account for "sunny side" and then deleting him. What do you gain by doing that rather than just playing him? I must be missing something.

As for the UI, I would guess most players move the UI about pretty soon after starting any MMO. I didn;t find the DDO UI any better or worse than average. Bog standard, in fact.

Finally, on the "you're going to need to group, a lot" thing, is that really still true? I've only been playing for a couple of weeks but so far I've had no trouble soloing. I'd read elsewhere that grouping was an option in DDO nowadays, not the unavoidable necessity it was when the game was sinking with all hands just after launch.

Posted: Jul 31st 2010 12:47PM (Unverified) said

It isn't on early levels.

And it depends on your class.

Posted: Aug 2nd 2010 5:22PM Bigglesbee said

For grouping, you need them less now, but it still really helps more than in other MMOs. Depending on your class you can pretty much solo to level 20 without much trouble--just takes a bit more time because you'll be doing quests a level or two lower than you.

Light path monks, for instance, can solo up to the level cap pretty easily, because they can heal/buff themselves for free. A rogue, however, can't solo anything unless you're specifically playing some kind of super sneaky rogue that just sneaks to the end and does a lot of kiting/ranged weapon stuff.

Even a rogue/cleric 2-man group has a lot of trouble getting through things compared to say, a fighter/cleric or even a bard/paladin. However, what I've learned is if your guy isn't good at soloing, he's probably really, really useful. DDO has a good balance like that.

Rogues can't solo, but you sure as heck want them picking locks, doors and chests and detrapping everything.

Posted: Aug 2nd 2010 5:26PM Bigglesbee said

Oh, and as for the UI, it's a little worse than other things I've played/seen, but it's not too much worse. Most UIs are pretty bad in MMO-style games.

I like the scrolly hotbar, but then again, I don't have too much screen real estate since I play on a regular CRT monitor. I also limit all my characters to only 4 hotbars (2 top, 2 bottom) no matter what, which is why the scrolly hotbar comes in handy for me.

Luckily, I don't play any mages or clerics though. Their screens get pretty ridiculous.

What I really want for DDO is one of those gaming mice with all the extra programmable buttons. DDO is pretty twitchy, so it helps to have easily accessible buttons everywhere :P.