Posted: Jul 29th 2010 9:06AM AlluvianEstEndrati said

A shame really. There are not enough MMOs out there where one can pilot a giant Mech and wreak havoc. Perpetuum Online really doesn't fill that nice (for me). What the world needs is a Mechwarrior or a Warhammer 40k Titan a Transformers or a Macross MMO or the like.

Posted: Jul 30th 2010 7:52AM Valdamar said

Yeah a Battletech/Mechwarrior MMO is my dream, though Smith & Tinker are working on a new Battletech game now that will hopefully give me my fix soon. As for Transformers, I'm hoping War for Cybertron will be awesome, but an MMO would be great. Macross, or Jovian Chronicles, could work too as MMOs. We definitely need a mech-based MMO of triple-A quality (though Planetside still has mechs, and I think Global Agenda has NPC ones, but they're not the focus).

Poor Exteel - I vaguely remember hearing about it when it launched, but I think the cash shop put me off back then - then I completely forgot about it - I had no idea it was still running or existed - another triumph for NCSoft's marketing department /sigh. So are Guild Wars and CoH the only western-made MMOs still left in NCSoft's stable now that Exteel, Dungeon Runners, Tabula Rasa and Auto Assault are gone?

Posted: Jul 29th 2010 9:19AM i2hellfire said

ex...what? sadly, i'd never even heard of this title until this article.

Posted: Jul 29th 2010 9:22AM DeadlyAccurate said

Seriously. What did their marketing department do for the last three years?

Posted: Jul 29th 2010 10:02AM Inspectah said

yep, also the first time ive ever heard of this game. sounded pretty nifty and at least worth a try

Posted: Jul 29th 2010 9:20AM (Unverified) said

wow damn shame i played exteel game on and off for about 2 years

Posted: Jul 29th 2010 9:40AM JustPlainJim said

This is really unfortunate. I really wish this game had more press through its life because It wasn't half bad.

Where are the mecha MMOs? Seems like we have every other genre out there.

Posted: Jul 29th 2010 10:14AM (Unverified) said

I'm a huge fan of huge robots but had not heard of this title. BUMMER!

Posted: Jul 30th 2010 5:10AM kasapina said

The game was great, it wasn't really an mmo, more like a lobby for 16 player matches with persistent characters. I'm gonna miss it, since sadly, there aren't enough mecha games out there.

Come on devs, stop making medieval fantasy, I want robots and space ships!

Posted: Jul 29th 2010 12:09PM Raithnor said

I really like the giant robot genre but I really couldn't get into the gameplay. I even tried using a programmable joypad to see if that would help. I honestly had more fun playing War for Cybertron on multiplayer than I did ExSteel and ExSteel had better customization.

As for NCSoft... Their marketing department is lacking, they don't know how to market their games to the more mainstream audiences and half the time it doesn't seem like they understand their own playerbase. The one positive thing I can say is they're not the Atari/Cryptic marketing machine that's trying to bleed their playerbase with half-finishied games.

Posted: Jul 29th 2010 10:17AM daicon said

Thats the third MMO NCsoft has shut down in the last couple years if I'm not mistaken! Tabula Rasa, Dungeon Runner and now Exteel.

This also signifies the death of PlayNC for English speakers.

Posted: Jul 29th 2010 11:07AM (Unverified) said

City of Heroes is NCsoft, connects with your PlayNC master account, and doesn't seem to be going anywhere any time soon. Although, as far as I know, NCcoins can't be used to purchase anything for City of Heroes.

Posted: Jul 29th 2010 11:36AM Wieland said

Actually its the fourth, you missed Auto Assault.

Posted: Jul 29th 2010 10:19AM (Unverified) said

Truly a shame on how NCSOFT looked after this good piece of fun game. The client is still installed in my comp and still playing it alongside with my regulars.

Posted: Jul 29th 2010 10:21AM Jade Effect said

NCSoft doesn't seem to hesitate when it comes to pruning games that aren't making enough money. Tabula Rasa, Auto Assualt, and now Exteel. However, Exteel did last quite a while.

Posted: Jul 29th 2010 10:35AM (Unverified) said

You know the genre has gone to hell when lobby-based shooters are considered to be MMOs. Calling something like APB a MMO is a stretch... but Exteel? Really? Simply adding personal progression to such a game does not make it 'massive' in any way. It adds some RPG to the game, not MMO.

However, it wasn't a bad game so I'm sad to see it go.

Posted: Jul 29th 2010 2:08PM J Brad Hicks said

Took the words right out of my mouth. So far as I could tell, Ncsoft pushed Exteel out the door without taking the time to add any actual, you know, GAME PLAY?, to their game.

Posted: Jul 29th 2010 2:37PM Sam not Spam said

Yep. Exteel's peers (and competition) would be games like Counterstrike, Call of Duty, Halo, etc., not World of Warcraft. The people who most likely would play it are playing FPS titles on PC and consoles...

It was a good experiment. Wish it had done better. I played it off and on since CB1.

I'm curious how long it was losing money before they reached this decision. From what I seem to recall the titles NCSoft shut down did horribly for a while before shutting down. Auto Assault and Tabula Rasa were pretty much DOA. The Dungeon Runners devs indicated the shift to advertising killed their subscription rates, and likely the only reason they added advertising was the subscriptions alone weren't cutting it. Exteel had NCCoins and ads.

NCSoft, I think, is catching more crap over the shutdowns than they deserve. Its like people think a game has a bad month and then it gets canned.

Posted: Jul 29th 2010 8:09PM Cristiano Cenizo said

You obviously don't understand what the term "MMO" means.

Posted: Jul 29th 2010 11:48AM (Unverified) said

For those of you saying "Hmm, never even heard of Exteel until now", do a little search for free-to-play when you have a couple minutes free time and you might be surprised at what you find. There are dozens of mmo-type games with decent sized user bases that have been going on for years without you even knowing about it (such as Exteel) in any genre you can imagine. Many of these games are never really advertised much beyond the several free mmo sites - which if you don't frequent you would never know about.

I somewhat blame Massively for never having mentioned Exteel until now, although I realize that not everything can be covered in such a wide market by a single website. I also realize that this site covers the more mainstream mmo titles, sprinkled with the occasional lesser-known "editor favorite" here or there, but I still feel that a little but more could be done to help out the *quality* lesser-known titles with higher than average production quality and large user bases that have been around for a while, not just new games coming out.

Played Exteel several times myself, but it never really hooked me and the game mechanics weren't my cup of tea. Solid game though, and runs great using the Unreal2 Engine, sad to see it go.