Posted: Jul 28th 2010 8:44PM wondersmith said

Sounds good! Spendable tokens, points, coin, etc. are a great way to reward dungeon runs. You're eventually guaranteed to get what you want instead of being at the mercy of the random number generator, and you can work steadily toward a big reward over many runs. Some of the most fun my friends and I ever had in an MMO was running dozens of LDoN adventures in EverQuest to save up for our Diamond Prisms of Companionship.

Posted: Jul 28th 2010 9:37PM (Unverified) said

the best thing is actually Radiance tokens. I migh even get to resubscribe after three months, if system's valid

Posted: Jul 29th 2010 2:24AM (Unverified) said

More games should do this.

Posted: Jul 29th 2010 4:17AM Graill440 said

While scaling is a huge plus in any MMO, expanding the playerbase and increasinf subs....why do yet see comments like this quote,

" The greatest problem that they had with rewards, Barry shares, is that itemizing a dungeon across a huge level range became a massive headache, requiring them to make "a prohibitive" amount of items."

I for one do not need to read between the lines to read exactly what this person is saying, it has to do with the profit to work ratio or as i call it ....the lazy ratio, yet they want more people to subscribe after reading this?

Posted: Jul 29th 2010 8:23AM Ocho said

Maybe its because of the next sentence... "Instead, the LotRO dev team is taking a cue from its successful skirmish system, and reprogramming the scaled-instance mobs to drop tokens instead of loot." Thereby avoiding having to completely change all of the loot tables for every dungeon based on scaling. Its instead of creating lamer items, which won't be wanted by players anyway (instead of epic gloves of epicness, it would be not-so-epic gloves of not-so-epicness) and creating thousands and thousands of items not wanted by the players, they're just adding more items (presumably) to the skirmish vendors, and making the dungeons use skirmish marks.

I don't see it as laziness, I see it as common sense.

Posted: Jul 29th 2010 9:38AM ScottishViking said

Mike, Graill is one of those people who starts complaining about the sun rising before he gets out of bed in the morning; the type of person who says, "it would be better if I was floating, this gravity is such a drag. God is so lazy."

On topic: I think the skirmish system makes a lot of sense, under the circumstances. Balancing loot between levels 30-65 for EACH INSTANCE (!!!) is a pretty tall order. Do the math on that. Assuming you add new loot every 5 levels, that would be 8 full TIERS of loot just for the Great Barrows, for example. That's not seven new items. That's EIGHT TIERS OF LOOT for one instance. With the potential to keep coming back to it when the level cap increases. Now average this out for the other instances -- which typically start at 50 -- and you're looking at four tiers of loot per instance at a minimum x however many instances they generate.

That is a LOT of developer attention.

Posted: Jul 29th 2010 8:52AM Icemasta said

While I do like the instance scaling system, I am not a huge fan of the skirmish marks replacing items. I guess it's all about the reason one plays a game. It seems it's all about having the best time/reward nowadays, with a total disregard to fun.

I personally like adventuring and taking my time when I play, when I find myself in a party and we finally bring down the mighty Orc-leader in Fil-Gashan, I expect him to drop a piece of equipment he stole or used, not a few coins. It feels like it removes... I dunno, power from an item. Like in WoW, my main-hand is an ancient blade that I reforged and re-imbued in magical power. My off-hand is the battle-axe that once belonged to Deathbringer Saurfang. In LOTRO, my off-hand will become... the mighty axe that I bought at the skirmish vendor for 3000 marks!

Anyway, that kind of stuff change kills my experience, I already jumped the boat a while ago, but this just goes against why I play a game.

Posted: Jul 29th 2010 11:13AM (Unverified) said

I believe what they are talking about is the scaled instance Butts, you can still run an instance at its appropriate level to get the unique item it rewards. And the whole legendary item system is geared around having a particular axe/whatever that you use for a long time with it's own unique identity. I always liked the dnd style games of old where what you looted was exactly what the monsters had and used against you but I think that is really a balance nightmare for an MMO not to mention the logistics of wanting to sell every bit of leather armor each of the 10,000 kobolds you killed were wearing.

Personally I like the skirmish system because there is so much less time spent on sorting junk loot in my bags and grabbing sparklies from the ground. There is still some of the gamblers instinct reward from getting a shiny random mark. I would like more crafting options within skirmish instances though, you can buy crafting xp with marks but it is still much easier to spend time outside harvesting.

Posted: Jul 29th 2010 1:09PM Icemasta said

@drjones
Nope, you can't run an instance at the appropriate level for items, they are all being removed. Now, mind you, only 12 instances are being revamped, and mostly the instances from vanilla LOTRO, but from Diary 1 (this post is about Diary 2), they explain that if you decide to walk up to where the instance is located and try to enter, it will simply open up the "skirmish" menu, and the instance will be pre-selected. From Diary 2, all items will be removed, and only Skirmish marks will be dropped.

As I said, it's more about Time vs reward than fun now. I used to LOVE lotro before Mines of Moria. The game felt much closer to "Back and there again", where adventures was the main focus. I have a problem with most token system, because while they are great and all, it just breaks the fourth wall for me. "I am the great Warrior Butts, I have defeated the mighty Sambrog of The Great Barrows and all I got were those stupids tokens that happens to be trade-able at a vendor located in a camp?". It just doesn't make sense to me.

So far, I've only seen one game do it right with their "token" and it's Everquest 2. Those tokens are used solely for tier set armor, and they are materials. To get a warrior's chest plate, you need to gather Rare Ore(forgot the actual name) and a rare pattern/design/recipe/blueprint from a boss related to your class. Then you bring the materials and the pattern/etc... to an NPC who will reforge your item.

All in all, it's all about personal opinion on how you experience such systems, I for one do not like those. I personally feel that they are trying to turn LOTRO into an arcade game more than an adventure. You go there, earn some coupons. Turn in your coupons for a nice reward. Content is just a challenge, does not need a reason to be there.

[WARNING : Rant]
To me, immersion is a major factor in the games I play and LOTRO used to be the leader in that department in the original version. Then they added LI, which was kind of hard to wrap your head around because of the failed implementation. I've never went through as many weapons in my MMO life. Before Siege of Mirkwood release, I had gone through nearly 150 second age weapons, leveled several from 1 to 50 to finally get one, which lasted me 3 weeks since it was useless now that Siege of Mirkwood came. SoM made it kinda easier to find a weapon, but it still took me 37 tries at swords to get an half-decent one.
[/rant]