Posted: Jul 27th 2010 11:10AM Anatidae said

How much does all this cost above the subscription?

I just can't get on board with Cryptic anymore. I totally get that a company wants to make money. I am all for everyone in the world being prosperous. But charging me a monthly fee then charging for so many game extras is just too much.

Sure, even the powerhouses like WoW does it. Which still bothers me, however a glass horse is easier for me to swallow than a race, a ship, etc... which feels more game-play related than a mount.

Like Champions big thing is creating the heroes you want. Well, if you buy the right expansion costumes on top of the subscription price that is.

Posted: Jul 27th 2010 11:29AM Thac0 said

'How much does all this cost above the subscription?"

Brian the season 2 update is a free patch for the game it is not a C-Store item.

Posted: Jul 27th 2010 1:40PM dudemanjac said

• 1 heart
Or just don't spend the extra money and use the wide variety of stuff that is already there...

Posted: Jul 27th 2010 2:19PM (Unverified) said

I recently bought this game a month ago and thought it was good. And as a lifetime owner of Champions, I know they will make this game better and better, because they have done the exact same thing with Champions. Both games very good for the casual crowd. And I am hoping that season 2 will make STO a better game and they keep on updating this gem.

Posted: Jul 27th 2010 11:33AM Ocho said

Here's my issue with STO, and I know its a common issue... I started the game in the beginning, and then it very quickly felt like a grind. Doing the same randomly generated missions over and over and over and over again. My issue? I LOVE Star Trek! I would give up every other IP out there and focus on this game if the game wasn't a huge grind over and over and over. Its Star Trek, its all about the story. From what I played (I didn't play to max level... just couldn't bring myself to log in to get there) there was some story, but then I had to fill in the rest of the time with more randomness, which after you played it enough, stopped being random. (How random is shooting down ships in small group after group? So what if the ships owners change, they're still the same difficulty and the same number of ships...)

However, I've been seeing all the improvements they've made, but I can't help seeing the game as still just random crap after random crap. I want to come back, I really do, and start over from scratch, but if I come back, will it just give me the same feeling despite everything new? Thats what worries me more than anything else. Its not an investment for my money. Why buy items from the cash shop if I don't plan on sticking around for a while? I don't mind the cash shop, (I don't like double-dipping, but then the stuff in the cash shop isn't content, its just fluff, so I can avoid it easily) its just another way for the company to make money. Can't really fault them for trying to make money.

Sigh. Do I quit the other sub games I'm playing to come back? Or would it just be a waste? Playing more than one sub game, to me, is truly the waste. They need to start being more like GW. Buy the box, get the game. Want extras? Thats what the cash shop is for. Want expansions? Buy them seperately. Its why I've always loved GW. Never played it full to the end, but I could leave and come back anytime and it didn't feel like waste.

Now I'm rambling. Somewhere in here was a point or two... but all in all, I hope STO would change its core leveling system. Put the random there, but don't make it mandatory. Then, I'd come back.

Posted: Jul 27th 2010 1:58PM CCon99 said

Honestly, you should probably wait for them to have another free weekend. They've been pretty desperate lately, so it's very likely there will be another free weekend soon hoping some of the huge amount of people that left the game, will come back to try the new changes.

I would definitely do that, on paper Season 2 looks like a lot, but many of those changes are stuff that most were expecting to be available back in February. A lot of people who tested the season 2 stuff on the test server, have already said they grew bored of the new changes before the weekend was even over.

Posted: Jul 27th 2010 11:42AM (Unverified) said

This "update" is just adding some highly needed content that should have been there from the start. With getting to max level in two to six weeks without any problem the game lacks content and as far as I saw on the test server, Season 2 will not change this, just ad small bits here and there.

Plus what still highly lacking is mission diversity. Even the new "diplomatic" missions are just repeating very basic mechanisms - as do all the quests already in place.

That Cryptic and Atari have the chuzpe to charge money for the retail boxes PLUS a monthly fee PLUS the C-Store (including pay-to-win items like the Galaxy-class Dreadnought) is quite bold...

Posted: Jul 27th 2010 12:02PM Samael said

they add content that was needed and the game felt empty without, then they will come out and act like they did you a big favor by not charging you for the said content.

Happened with CO.

Posted: Jul 27th 2010 1:45PM dudemanjac said

• 1 heart
So should they just not add the content? What do you care how they act? No one's going to question that the game came out lacking, but every time they add new stuff I here this same tired comment. "They act like they're doing us a favor." Either you see that they have new content and want to try it, or you are done with the whole thing and that's the end of it.

Posted: Jul 27th 2010 2:03PM CCon99 said

They already are acting like they're doing their subscribers a favor, that whole State of the Game letter was "look at all we did the last 6 months!" When really it was more like "it took us more than 6 months to get our game in a semi launch ready state."

Posted: Jul 27th 2010 4:27PM dudemanjac said

• 1 heart
But who cares how they act. Would the content be any better or worse if they came to you hat in hand, "Sorry we didn't have all this stuff ready for you sooner. Please forgive us and be our friends." Honestly, that's what it sounds like a lot of you ppl want.

Posted: Jul 28th 2010 12:59PM (Unverified) said

Honestly - it would be nice to get a real and honest excuse for selling me a game that is not even close to finished even WITH this update. Plus it would be nice to get an excuse for first selling me a special edition and then giving away the perks for less money in their C-Store for far less money than I paid...

This is no way to treat customers.

Posted: Jul 27th 2010 2:10PM benfolds said

• 1 heart
Ccon!!!!! Er...I mean...KAHN!!!!!!! LOL.

Posted: Jul 27th 2010 5:17PM Its Utakata stupid said

• Half a heart
...there is this theory of the Roperbious. A twist in the fabric of self-gratulations, where naval gazing becomes a loop, naval gazing becomes a loop, naval gazing becomes a loop, naval gazing becomes a loop, naval gazing becomes a loop...

Posted: Jul 27th 2010 6:01PM Its Utakata stupid said

...oops sorry, it was an parody to a very old and obscure Orbital sampling of Worf in Star Trek:TNG. My apologies if this came off really confusing...I was trying to spear some persistant issues pertaining to Cryptic and it appears I have failed. :(