Posted: Jul 27th 2010 3:12PM Mr Angry said

Remember this :

As I said in that interview, we will not be changing your subscription model. We've heard you folks loud and clear that you do not want items with stats introduced, you don't want players buying their way to power, etc. Your world will stay the way it has been and we will continue to support it with new content, items, etc.

This is going to kick the crap out of the regular servers, I can see there being a bit of an exodus, free > pay with what they propose with EQ2, so it's not accurate that they say it will not effect their current subscribers, the impact will definitely be felt.

I do hope they have a PvP server however, so I can make people's lives a misery as they level!

Posted: Jul 27th 2010 3:21PM bartillo said

read the faq.. very confusing.

So apparently you can sub on the extended servers OR you can sub on the other servers.

Extended servers cash shop will sell "unfair" items like stat based gear and things in its cash shop unlike the other server ones.

I dont know why anyone would sub on an extended server?
When you can sub on the real ones.

Posted: Jul 27th 2010 3:29PM (Unverified) said

yea stat based gear lol it isn't worth anything, think less than blue quality gear from wow or in eq2 terms treasured gear

Posted: Jul 29th 2010 3:19AM (Unverified) said

Because once you've played on the Extended server for a while, and decided that you like the game, you either subscribe on the Extended server.. or you leave behind any friends you've made there, leave behind any guild you've joined, leave behind the characters you've gotten attached to, leave behind any wealth you've accumulated.. and start from level 1 on the "real" server.

Posted: Jul 27th 2010 3:34PM (Unverified) said

That it i am done with the game because even if you paying for regular sub you don't get the level 90 cap. So i would have to pay out 200 for just have the chr at max level that it i am done with the dam game series. I will try eq but sony will change pricing on that to. I am pretty much done with sony online products over all.

Posted: Jul 27th 2010 3:36PM Shadanwolf said

How about Vanguard as FTP? Now there's a game that could really benefit from an FTP subscription model.(that's assuming Sony even realizes they own the game).

Posted: Jul 27th 2010 3:36PM Anatidae said

Maybe they meant to say "EQII will not, not go free-to-play."

Posted: Jul 27th 2010 3:41PM Toggit said

I'm excited. I've always wanted to try EQII, I've heard a lot of good stuff about it.

Posted: Jul 27th 2010 3:44PM bartillo said

WRONG, you just have to buy the new expansion, if you pay the $200 you get the new expansion for free is all.

you can sub still on the normal EQ2 servers as well..

This is only if you sub on EQ2 extended.

EQ2 extended is a separate game as normal EQ2.. will be separate games on station.. separate servers.. separate subs.

Posted: Jul 27th 2010 3:45PM Dumac said

Looking at the membership matrix, i guess it could have been worse, but I'm irked about the spell tier limit - i don't even know what that is, but it sounds bad. Can someone tell me? And it would appear that a Gold subscription offers less features than a standard EQ2 subscription for the same price, minus the initial account purchase, so that's a bit puzzling too.

But otherwise great news, can't wait to try it out. Actually i did try the EQ2 trial, but it wasn't something i wanted to commit to at the time.

Posted: Jul 27th 2010 3:45PM (Unverified) said

Veteran EQ2 players are NOT happy about this change. I hope those F2P servers are fun, because that's going to be all that's left once this goes live.

Posted: Jul 27th 2010 3:46PM uberman3000 said

Ok so when is the rest of SOE going to have f2p servers? You know what would just awesome-sauce, WoW f2p servers ... That would be hilarious, and rather successful I'd bet. Its really not a terrible idea really if you think about it. They will get the best of both worlds of p2p and f2p, like cake and ice cream. Now I'll have to try EQ.

Posted: Jul 27th 2010 4:44PM (Unverified) said

This explanation is incredibly convoluted. I see "Free to play" and "200 dollar yearly subscription" in the same paragraph. Those are as opposite as two things can be.

Posted: Jul 27th 2010 4:28PM Nef said

Not too surprised at this happening, though having it completely separate is different.

After the introduction of New Halas, disabling the starting in the old new player areas (for future re-vamp), I thought it was strange how much attention they were playing to the new player experience. Unless they were expecting a lot of new players... Here are those new players.

(I'll definitely be trying it out, love free entertainment and it means another MMO to choose from every night. Good times.)

Posted: Jul 27th 2010 4:28PM Audacious said

Half of why I like this game isn't available on the free servers: the really great races.

Humans, psychic humans, elf-humans, and muscle humans. The rest cost you cheddar.

Posted: Jul 27th 2010 4:49PM Controlled Chaos said

I find it thoroughly amusing that they just announced not too long ago that it never would. But that's already been mentioned in previous posts, so I'll just get to my comment.

Most of the people who find this an interesting and fun move are the people who have never played it before. I kind of feel bad for the subscription guys because this feels like a giant middle finger at them from Sony. I mean, they're basically saying that the new people can come around, play for free and if they want to get a subscription, sure, go for it. Meanwhile, the people actually paying for the game get slightly better stuff, true, but...well, still, now people get to play, for free, with the stuff they've always had to pay for.

It's kind of a nasty way that P2P companies are wanting their cake and to eat it too these days.

Posted: Jul 27th 2010 5:23PM archer75 said

If you don't pay why should you get customer service?

And if you want to sub just play on the normal realms. I can't see the point of subbing on the extended realm.

I just don't see how you can milk someone who is playing free? They can't take your money, you have to give it to them. And in this case you don't have to give them anything in order to play.

Posted: Jul 27th 2010 5:43PM archer75 said

Who says you can't play it? You are freaking out over something that hasn't even happened yet!

How many times in my MMO history that started back in the early 90's I have used customer service? NEVER. Never had the need. Not for any MMO and I usually always have one going for almost 2 decades.

My God man you whine like a little girl! If you don't like the free game then don't play the free game. Simple as that. You act as if it's in the end of the world and someone from SOE is going to come in your house and ass rape you. They can't take money you don't give them. So you can play for free as much as you want.
If the lack of support bothers you so much then just play the regular game. It's not going away. It's support isn't going to change.

Posted: Jul 27th 2010 6:32PM archer75 said

You can play for free can't you? Therefore it's free to play.
Did you really expect you'd get everything paid subscribers get but for free? You really need to be realistic.

That can't suck up money you don't give them. Companies exist to make money. They use whatever model they can to achieve that. That is the nature of business. With no money they cannot exist.

If you don't like it, don't give them money. Just play for free. Will they get priority support? Probably not. But I don't expect any support at all. After all, it's free.

You can get linux distros for free. But you don't get any support. Some companies such as Red Hat exist to sell you these distros. How can they sell you something you can get for free? Because they are selling the support.
No money=no support.

Posted: Jul 27th 2010 5:00PM Grodd said

The wrong way to do free to play!