Posted: Jul 26th 2010 7:28PM whackanewbie said

I am, currently, a level 24 Cleric in Aion (I also just had my picture in the last one-shot article on here, i am Flog). So far I have enjoyed the class. So far I have enjoyed the class compared to all of the others I have tried.

Posted: Jul 26th 2010 7:32PM Hjordis said

That last tip is definitely a good one, I learned it beta and have used on every character. As far as the asmo side being more/less difficult, give it til level 25-30. I have 4 asmo toons and that was the level range where the leveling curve started to steepen. Let us know how 40-50 is, I've always wondered if the Elyos have it easier (read: less-grindy) than the asmos do. Welcome to faction! p.s. we have waaay sexier gear ;)

Posted: Jul 26th 2010 10:54PM MJ Guthrie said

It will take me a while, but I will certainly let you know! I had to distract myself especially after level 40 on the Elyos side to keep from thinking about the grind. However, I was also in that range when the repeatable quests came out, and it made a world of difference from 44-50, compared to even 37-44. It will be interesting to see if the 30-40 levels are better off now as well (I am also currently doing another Elyos so the comparison is post 1.9).

And yes, even the starting newb gear rocked! Much jealousy. Too bad I can't start a black market to the Elyos side, I could fund my Fenris!

Posted: Jul 26th 2010 10:48PM (Unverified) said

I have yet to play an Asmodian, but the pictures really do look promising. I'm kind of bored with the grind on the Elyos side at the moment, so maybe I'll swing by Asmodae myself to get acquainted.

Even if I don't stay it'll be a good way to get acquainted with the lay of the land for rifting >.>

Posted: Jul 27th 2010 2:00AM (Unverified) said

@MJ - the difference between the factions is not in the starting area, but later on. I have a Spiritmaster on both sides, both played about the same amount of time, other than I did more crafting on the Elyos. The Elyos is five levels higher; but about 2 and half to 3 of those levels are from extra crafting. But that still leaves 2 levels more for the same amount of play time. Plus, the Elyos always seemed to have more quests to do. I just assumed the number of quests were the same for both factions, but it doesn't seem that way when leveling. I always have quests on the Elyos side, but had to just grind mobs on the Asmo side when I'd hit what seemed like gaps, time and time again.

Then there is rifting, far easier to do as an Elyos than Asmo. What threw the faction balance so far to the Elyos side on many servers seems to be a combination of the Elyos getting extended time in control of the fortresses when they changed the timer on them, so they got to farm and farm for better Abyss gear, plus large legions of Asmodians switching sides, as well as apparently more account bans as well. Not a surprise, as I know many of the large Asmo guilds on my server were Lineage players (where you can bot all you want apparently) and that is what they did in Aion, because NCWest couldn't be bothered to do anything about bots until months after release. So many players assumed it was okay (it wasn't like the gold farmers and sellers were being banned), then, wham, mass bans. Yes, I'm against botting, but I blame NCWest squarely for chasing off a huge number of players due to their complete lack of doing anything about bots, to the point of almost encouraging their use to grind and grind. I knew a lot of players that openly talked in the chat areas about it being okay to bot. Not once during that time was there ever a GM online to counter that. I'm not even sure there were GMs back then, because the first I ever saw of any was, I think, Jan 2010, almost 4 months after release!

Actually both starting areas have equivalent quests and monsters, in fact are almost carbon copies of each other, but no Tutty on the asmo side! There is a boss monster (if you are referring to the one near the Abyss gate you have to destroy), the quest on the Asmodian side is Suspicious Activity, from the NPC Nalto. I've done both sides when the starter area was packed with players and nearly empty and they are about the same, but I do like Ishalgen's looks more and the Asmo music is more to my taste. Also, Ishalgen has Hulker, the large Brax that wanders around the lake, and he drops a variety of nice armor pieces. I think there is a similar level monster in the lake in Poeta, Tirratirra the Airon, but I've never seen her. I think she was being farmed heavily whenever I was in the area.

Posted: Jul 27th 2010 10:28AM (Unverified) said

I played both Asmodian and Elyos sides till the mid-30's levels. I have a strong opinion that Elyos has much prettier artwork, more interesting quests, and seems to be more of a pleasure to play than the Asmo side.
It seems obvious to me that the developers put more time and effort into the Elyos side, while the Asmodian is basically a "darker" (cheaper) copy of the Elyos zones.

WRUP: Lucky Korea