Posted: Jul 26th 2010 3:04PM Audacious said

This really does sound appealing. During my short stint with the game a while back I'd plans to bring a Ratonga Bruiser up to the appropriate level to defect and make him into a Monk (the attack animations are the monk are brilliant), but I couldn't stick with the game long enough during the trial thanks to the graphics to have the patience to do so.

When I've saved up enough for my new computer for Tera I might well wind up picking this one up, too. Are there enough people playing at various levels that group play is still a viable option for lowbie newcomers?

Posted: Jul 26th 2010 4:05PM Jef Reahard said

I would say most of the lower levels are solo affairs, unless you join an active guild. You can hunt around for PUGs for things like HQs and some of the tougher writs, but I've found them to be few and far between.

This is on Lucan, I can't speak for other servers.

Posted: Jul 26th 2010 4:22PM (Unverified) said

"whereas something like an evil iksar inquisitor would morph into an oddball iksar paladin."

Actually it would be morphed into a Templar. A Shadowknight would morph into a Paladin.

Posted: Jul 26th 2010 4:27PM Jef Reahard said

You're right, thanks. Updated the article.

Posted: Jul 26th 2010 11:00PM Araxes said

Great screenshots.

AB has many groups going for places like Wailing Caves and Blackburrow. Moreso if you simply put out a simple "Forming group for WC. PST!" You will get replies in short order.

Ratongas are the best race, indeed. ;) Although I find I have a soft spot for ogres, too.

Posted: Jul 27th 2010 11:20AM GenericPerson said

Just yesterday a small group (4) of us were debating the pros/cons of trying out EQ2. Some are old EQ players and then there is me whose never played either edition of the game. Looks like this weekend we'll be diving into it, we'll be rolling on the PvP server unless plans change.

Posted: Jul 27th 2010 12:06PM Valdamar said

I did the betrayal quest a couple of months after EQ2's launch to make my Iksar into a Swashbuckler.

The quest was a tedious nightmare back then - the faction grind took so long - weeks in my case, though I can't recall how many hours I spent on it per evening as this wasn't on my main character. I'd certainly never have managed it without friends helping me, as back then you couldn't use menders, banks or vendors at all until you completed betrayal - my Iksar's equipment was basically all broken and useless by the time I finished - and you could only bring with you whatever you could carry (which didn't leave much room for loot, not that I had anywhere to sell it until I completed the betrayal anyway).

And I got so sick of killing gnolls for faction in Antonica as there weren't any quests I could do to raise faction. Though in the end it was fun seeing people so surprised that an Iksar was wandering around Qeynos safely - betrayals were still quite rare at that stage, probably because it was such a hassle to do, as well as the game being new.

From the link on this article it seems as if it's far easier to betray now, what with there being a city for exiles and quests to help you raise faction with your target city - and that's very good, because after doing the betrayal quest once I'd never have wanted to betray another character again, not the way the quest was at launch. I had planned to take a High Elf Paladin to Freeport to be a ShadowKnight, but I soon scrapped those plans after my Iksar completed his betrayal in the opposite direction (spending the same amount of time killing Orcs in the barren Commonlands would have driven me loopy!) - my main was the first L50 High Elf Guardian on my server anyway and I figured that one plate/tank class was enough for me.

I'd always planned to go back to EQ2 once they added more content (I spent a year in EQ2 beta, and EQ1 was my first ever MMO, so the EverQuests have always been special to me), and I almost did return when they released the Faydwer and then Kunark expansions, but there's always been other MMOs I wanted to play more and I wasn't really in a hurry to give SOE more cash (not until Planetside 2 anyway... perhaps). I do still like to read about both games though, and I'm glad to see they're still getting lots of updates (SOE were always good like that, despite their many flaws) and that people are still playing them - so I read your articles with interest, Jef, just for nostalgia's sake.

Posted: Jul 30th 2010 6:55AM (Unverified) said

Sorry yo let you know Jeff but EQ2 is removing the need for most the classes to exile, as of next GU you could have just started in the good city.

Sigh.