Posted: Jul 26th 2010 5:23PM R6zack said

This game looks amazing and I've been following on my own personal game blog, but I do have some holdups. Since you guys got a chance to hands on it, is it really have a "full collision" combat system?

The way this combat system works will probably be the only factor that makes this game a day 1 purchase instead of a " oh, we'll wait for the free trial." I know there are plenty others who think the game looks completely amazing but are skiddish, hiding in the bushes secretly praying that it isn't some polished "Age of Conan" release (and I loved the combat and pvp style of Age of Conan.)

I mean no disrespect to this thread or the dev team behind Terra, but there are a couple of very important issues that could "make or break" this game, and they aren't really being hit on. For the average working person, 60 bucks is around 3.5 hrs of payment, I want to know as much as possible before I waste almost half a day worth of pay on a game that disappoints.
~Zack

Posted: Jul 26th 2010 5:24PM Nicks87 said

• 1 heart
If SWTOR tanks or isnt what I expected this will be the alternative for sure.

Either way I bet Blizzard is "shakin in their boots" right now because once TERA and SWTOR hit the market WoW will be singing a funeral dirge.

Trust me Cataclysm will not save WoW it will be like putting a bandage on a sucking chest wound.

Waiting for 25 people to get thier #$%# together for a raid or playing through the same old tired areas trying to lvl up a new character??

No thanks, I'll move on.

Posted: Jul 26th 2010 5:38PM Mirin said

The only thing that will kill wow is Wow 2 or a Starcraft MMO. There is no wow killer, there are only wow distractions.

( I havent played wow in over a year, im just sayin)

Posted: Jul 26th 2010 7:28PM Cirocco said

I have to agree that all this doom and gloom of WoW has been bandied about for several years, but the juggernaut keeps on chugging, carving out its own unique enviable slice of the subscription-based MMO market. I don't see this fantasy empire collapsing any time soon, despite other new MMOs eventually entering the market, even the Old Republic. Starcraft II, Diablo 3, and the still hush-hush MMO (Starcaft Online?) in development are guaranteed to ensure Blizzard's substantial footprint in the growing online market.

Blizzard's only competition is itself.

Posted: Jul 27th 2010 5:29AM (Unverified) said

Thanks for the laugh Nicks.

Posted: Jul 26th 2010 5:45PM Laren said

This game looks quite neat!

The most hyped feature is also my biggest concern. How will active combat work with network latency? "Moving out of the way" sounds cool, but I'm worried with how well it'll work in the real world.

Posted: Jul 26th 2010 7:25PM Audacious said

lol at "moving out of the way" in quotation.

It's just /that/ foreign and remarkable in an MMO.

Posted: Jul 27th 2010 9:56AM (Unverified) said

It'll work just like it does in a CoD match. They're simply trying to bring a FPS element into a MMO and I find myself asking "what took so long?"

Posted: Jul 26th 2010 6:09PM wcdregon said

This game looks amazing. I was introduced to MMO's on FFXI and now that FFXIV is coming out in a few months I pretty much was set on that, but this game looks so good and the action aspect of it really seals the deal for me, i'm lost now as to what game I should spend the next few years of my life with. I figure all MMO's on day 1 are broken and as time goes on they improve more and more. Okay maybe not broken but ya'll know what I mean. If I had to bank on which studio wil come out with the best game on day 1, between Sony Online (FFXIV), EnMasse (Tera) and BioWare (SWTOR). I'm banking on BioWare and not because thats the game I am most interested in, but I know that Quality Control is the tits at BioWare. I've never played a product of theirs that I didn't think was awesome and some of their titles have been trendsetting, revolutionary and basically CLASSIC. I think I will still invest heavily into Final Fantasy 14, but with games like TERA and SWTOR on the horizon Sony better seriously deliver the goods.

Posted: Jul 26th 2010 6:12PM Graill440 said

Frogster.......sigh.

Moves down the road hitchhiking to the theme from the incredible hulk......

Posted: Jul 27th 2010 8:03AM Snichy said

Whenever I hitchhike, its to the tune of "The Littlest Hobo"...!

Posted: Jul 26th 2010 6:21PM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
haha who is this guy nick87 lol what a tool.
Why would blizzard be shaking in there boots? Seriously I guess by you're lack of actual stats in the gaming world it's hard for you to realize that Blizzard has no worries as there next 4 games that are suppose to launch in the next 5 years will overshadow anything anyone else comes with. What you think more people will play SWTOR and Terra combined compared to any blizzard incarnation....clueless kid get a grip. Active combat alone will make half the people not play it because they are the kids with 600 latency. Let alone the half the continent will be playing Diablo 3 lol

Posted: Jul 26th 2010 10:40PM (Unverified) said

"Active combat alone will make half the people not play it.."

This.

I have massive doubts about whether this active combat can make for an entertaining experience with large numbers of players on widely varying latencies in between "same city as the server" and "Aussies and Kiwis with crappy ISPs".

Not saying it can't work.. but I'll need to be persuaded that it DOES work before I spend any money.

Posted: Jul 26th 2010 6:25PM wcdregon said

oh by the way what's WoW? ;)
"That" game has already died. Are their subscribers still rising?
once you stop gaining subscribers, thats the beginning of the end. many subscribers won't stop playing until they turn off the servers but many will move on to these next gen mmo's. Until now there really hasn't been the technology to outshadow what WoW has to offer.

What makes WoW outshine all of the current gen MMO's is its design.

Posted: Jul 26th 2010 6:51PM Bhima said

I dunno, I think SWTOR could take a cool million players away from WoW, Tera could probably nab 200,000. I would also add GW2 into the mix and compound that with the no growth to WoW's population... it could put a dent into WoW's overall dominance. Sure, nothing will actually "kill" WoW (because come on, Ultima Online still exists!), but these newer games will probably do one thing: Force Blizzard to ramp up their next-gen MMO's development cycle. At least, thats my hope, but knowing Blizzard, I won't see that game until I can get the senior discount at Denny's.

Posted: Jul 26th 2010 9:13PM Jade Effect said

Or both Tera and World of Warcraft can happily co-exist and expand the MMO market together. They are quite different games afterall. It's less about trying to kill each other, but more about each game finding their own slice of the pie.

An analogy would be Razer isn't trying to kill Logitech, even though both companies sell computer mice.

Posted: Jul 26th 2010 7:04PM Cepaqua said

• 1 heart
The art style wants to make me gag. I guess I will never be cut out for these Asian art styles.

Posted: Jul 26th 2010 7:32PM Skeanthu said

I hate to readthat gear crafted is on par, but not as good as the best in the game. Albeit I do understand that if you have battled and gained rep/points/? to gain access the best gear cool, but don't put the crafter out of business from their hard work on gaining the skills/material/training to make the best armor.

Posted: Jul 27th 2010 8:13AM Snichy said

Traditionally to get the best gear in the game takes as much if not more work at PvE or PvP than levelling up crafting so it shouldnt be the same. However to be able to craft gear just below the best is still an achievement and will always be needed and popular!

Posted: Jul 27th 2010 3:09AM (Unverified) said

You forgot the fact that Warriors are also a tanking class. TERA is one of the few games where evasion tanking is a viable tactic, one of even fewer games where it's explicitly recommended, and the only one, at least that I know of, where it requires player reactions.

Betawatch: December 13 - 19, 2014