Posted: Jul 26th 2010 6:11PM AChu said

The important thing is: If I can play a Trandoshan BH, will I beable to for go turning in my Bounty to sell my poor mark as a Slave?

Because we all know that Trando's are the epic Slave traders of the universe!

Posted: Jul 26th 2010 7:41PM PaterFrog said

Wohoo, another Oxhorn fan!

Posted: Jul 26th 2010 8:21PM (Unverified) said

I don't think you're going to be able to play a Trandoshan. I read somewhere, I think on darthhater.com, possibly here, that species shown on swtor.com as part of the inhabitants section, are non-player species. And Trandoshans are there.

Personally, I can't think of a more appropriate species, along with Rodians.

Here's my predictions: Jedi Consular: Miraluka & Kel Dor, Jedi Knight: Togruta & Nautolan, Trooper: Mon Calamari, Smuggler: Bothan & Duros, Sith Inquisitor: Zabrak, Sith Warrior: Sith species, Bounty Hunter: Rodian.

I don't think all of them will necessariliy be in, but I think we'll end up with at least three options for each class, and I think each race will be limited to one class aside from humans.

Do you think you'll get extra story elements by being another species? Personally, I don't think so, because it is fully voiced, and that would add a decent amount of extra voicing.

Posted: Jul 27th 2010 3:58AM (Unverified) said

I really don't think it will be humans for every class and a couple of aliens specific to each class I think it will be more standard rpg fair that certain species might be exclusive to a specific faction due to existing lore and that certain classes are thematically innapropriate for certain species.

The only reason to restrict a species they go to the effort of making playable is for lore/immersion reasons. Sure True Sith should be Empire faction only and you could make an argument for them being Warrior/Inquisitor only because the concept of an Republic side True Sith is silly. The only other argument beyond lore for restricing a class would be like in wow where they claim that having the same race playable by both factions would be confusing but since humans will be available to both factions in TOR negates that as a reason.

Posted: Jul 27th 2010 4:34AM (Unverified) said

I don't know how it's going to be upon release, but some leaked screenies of character creation showed the races you choose from under a "background" section. The Bounty Hunter only seemed to have three...one was rattaki gladiator, and the other was some human thing, which were the only two shown.

I really hope there aren't only three races per class.

Posted: Jul 27th 2010 8:14AM SiML said

Wut no Sith jawa? :o - I was looking forward to taking the galaxy 'off at the ankles'.

Posted: Jul 27th 2010 9:31AM (Unverified) said

There won't be any playable races that can't wear exactly the same armor as humans. Which rules anything like Wookies (can't wear most armor) or Trandoshans (can't wear foot armor), etc, simply because they'd have to have custom armor made for them, an expense that BioWare won't be interested in dealing with.

Posted: Jul 27th 2010 10:37AM Aquaryon said

Yeah I wonder why Bioware won't invest into that... Blizzard (as well as MANY other companies) have! Even Galaxies has made custom armor!

Posted: Jul 29th 2010 11:43AM (Unverified) said

I don't think this is true, they already have to make different styles of an armor piece to fit different heights, body sizes if they want it to look good and not have collision issues. So long as the set of possible options is limited enough and the budget is large enough this should not be a problem.

Height/size differences is another issue, if you are trying to make a dynamic in game cut-scene you need to know approximately where the PC will be and what their allies will look like near them to frame the shot and having a Jawa who has the top of their cone hat in the bottom of every shot or who is always shown surrounded by other players crotches will not be up to the polish level they are going for.

Posted: Jul 29th 2010 11:52PM (Unverified) said

You may have something there Bobfish. I think all playable races will at least be humanoid in terms of two arms, two legs, one head, etc. and be roughly average human height.

That means no Thisspias (I had to look that up on Wookiepedia). And I doubt we'll get Ithorians, that way we avoid the whole Sonic Boom issue too.

I'm pretty sure that the panel at the SDCC mentioned something about several choices for race per class. I can see it making sense from a lore perspective somewhat. For example if Dac is in the Republic, Mon Calamari may be non-existent or exceedingly rare in the Sith Empire.

All of this said, in many games, different races have a gameplay difference, and I'm not sure if we'll get that for SWTOR, because I don't know what difference we would get as either Rattataki, Twi'lek or Chiss. It may just be to add flavour and variation.

Posted: Jul 27th 2010 10:40AM SiML said

..."and what Trandoshan wouldn't be interested in our new and shiny upcoming Trandoshan armour pack DLC !"

Posted: Jul 28th 2010 10:45PM SirUrza said

No love for Darth Talon in the Twi'lek section oh my!

Betawatch: September 13 - 19, 2014