Posted: Jul 27th 2010 6:30PM (Unverified) said

I personally don't see this as a question of heroes good- pugs bad, or vice versa. It seems to me as a simple soul that if we were still limited to forced pugs or reliance on henchies, there would be nowhere near the number of players still in GW. Seems to me a question of GW dead, or GW alive.
Of course there is a downside, but in GW's heavily instanced world, heroes allow people with limited playtime to enjoy playing rather than looking for a monk to abuse, allow you to play at your own pace, and in your own way. Tinkering with builds and developing strategies is a whole lot easier with heroes. Testing stuff with heroes is a whole lot easier than trying to find random, good human players willing to die frequently in order to test your latest theory.
Having said all this, I prefer to play with humans myself, but in my opinion, I still have a vibrant GW world because on balance, heroes keep a lot more people in the game, than would have been lost by the reduction in the number pugs.

Posted: Jul 29th 2010 11:56AM (Unverified) said

For me the worst thing pre-heroes was that 2-3 in any PUG have done whatever mission you are on 100 times and want it over FAST. Me, I am on my first or second run of it and want to watch the cinematics etc. so half the team hit 'skip' immediately, the other few do soon after because of social pressure and now I get to decide if I want to see the cool cinematic and piss off the GET IT DONE NOW people.

Posted: Jul 29th 2010 3:55PM (Unverified) said

Loved Heroes. I played Guild Wars with all human players and also with 1 human+6 heroes and enjoyed playing with heroes a lot more. Playing with all humans once in while could be rewarding but playing with 3 heroes+4 henchmen or 1 human+ 6 heroes gives me complete freedom and a different level of challenge. Guild Wars wouldn't be my favourite PC game without the heroes.

Posted: Jul 30th 2010 11:00AM (Unverified) said

For me it's not the problem of heroes making ppl want to PUG it's that they made the game easy, seriously......i can't remember when i last failed a NM mission......... back in the day completing missions was a challenge, now it just feels like a grind. Only elite dungeons/missions and some HM stuff present a challenge these days.....

Posted: Aug 20th 2010 9:26AM (Unverified) said

There's another reason you find NM missions easy, Aztex. Remember, Guild Wars is at heart a game of skill: over time, your builds get better, your timing gets better, and your knowledge of missions gets better. It's not surprising that you find NM missions easier.

The other aspect about H+H vs PUGs is that you don't spend the entire time trying to co-ordinate. With H+H, there's one leader - you - and everyone else follows. You can get superior co-ordination with people you play with regularly, but with a PUG it's often frustration instead.

There is, however, one thing that annoys me no end about heroes - they can't carry. This becomes painful in two particular circumstances:
(1) any mission that is better when carrying more than one item (Iron Mines, Bloodstone Fen, I'm looking at you).
(2) when the human player is a weapon user. An ele with item suffers minor inconvenience. A warrior with item is useless.

The Daily Grind: Which MMO has the best fishing?

Posted on Oct 20th 2014 8:00AM