Posted: Jul 25th 2010 8:09PM Graill440 said

• 1 heart
I tried this title again a couple months ago, free 6 month military thing. Still blows bigtime, really suprised to see it operating. Couldnt stomach it and deleted it all within the third hour.

The single biggest killer to this game (besides the bugged port battles) is still ingame, "real time traveling" shudder.

With a show of hands who likes to travel 40 minutes from one location to another, i know that is something everyone can look forward to. and ya know you get that wind against you and when you make it to your destination and have the wind turn back the other way..........noooo thanks.

Posted: Jul 25th 2010 10:18PM Lichbane1 said

Each to their own. I really liked it when I played it though it did seem unfinished in a lot of ways. And as for the real time travel, it fit in well considering the setting; it lent a strong strategic element to the game in that you had to consider yor destination based on which way the wind blew. I liked that. :)

Posted: Jul 26th 2010 12:20AM Graill440 said

Other things can be done for wind in regards to combat, such as the facing indicator showing like it always does, thus you can still pick and choose which direction you enter combat, they do not need the amount of wind working against anyone like it does currently while open sea traveling.

Traveling doesnt have to be instant either, but it doesnt take a monkey and a slide rule to figure that out.

From the central british port to port C nearly directly west, less than 1/3 of the map, taking 40 minutes due to headwinds is just bad mechanics, and like one person said, to each his own, enjoy that game. (add smiley face here)

Posted: Jul 25th 2010 10:14PM johnnliu said

Being able to teleport around the Caribbean just didn't feel like it'd fit in the theme. It'll also destroy the location based resource markets as well as render player piracy useless (how can you plunder anyone if they just teleports from town to town).

Since I'm a wow player, let me try to compare and describe my experiences

Highlights:
Realistic ship vs ship combat - a full broadside into your enemy and watching their sails tumble is awesome.

Imagine vehicle to vehicle combat, where you need to watch the winds in your pursue or fleeing an attack.
You have different kinds of ammunition - chain-shots are great at puncturing and snapping enemy masts - disabling them in the water - you can then sail around their blind side and load cannonballs into them.
At your disposal are various skills that can temporary boost your attacking, defense, speed etc powers. Or consumable items that can perform rapid ship repairs or jettison cargo for a speed boost.

Location-based manufacturing
Different towns generate different resources
While you can build your processing centers and ultimately shipyards anywhere, it makes more sense if you try to reduce shipping complexity and re-use as much local resources as you can.

Playing the market is quite fun
I'd imagine PotBS auction houses are closer to EVE's where depending on where you are based, resources could be quite expensive - since it's not available locally. This gives rise to players who might want to ship vast amount of goods into a port to capitalize on the profits.

Being able to play a pirate, cause trouble for a town and turn the area around a town into full combat zone is also cool.
Imagine... you can't raid Goldshire right away - since it's an alliance-only town, but you can start causing unrest. Eventually you turn it into a full PvP zone where anybody could be sank or plundered.
This feeds back into the whole shipping and manufacturing side - it might be great if you have your supply chain all sorted... until the pirates puts your entire port (or region) into unrest and it's open PvP out in the open sea.

Cons
In person was really weak, but I've heard comparisons to both EVE (non existent) and STO - where the ship part is the better designed area, and the in person missions are far weaker.

Nice touches
You can customize your captain a lot. And even in ship mode, you can zoom in enough to see yourself on the decks calling your sailors to fire those cannons!

Think I've mentioned this but the wind is very cool. If you feel like travelling 40mins is unbearable... you really need to try to get on the ocean current, then catch the easterly winds on your sails and watch your ship fly across the open sea - always a pure pleasure - extremely relaxing on an otherwise at-times cut-throat open pvp game.

Posted: Jul 26th 2010 12:51PM Renko said

I always thought seeing your captain standing on the deck during ship combat was a very nice touch too, just a pity this wasn't the beginning and end of people avatars in the game though.

Posted: Jul 26th 2010 4:10AM Dread said

Traveling around the map is the least of PotBS problems. Personally, I hate those insta spawn to where you need to go crap. Its for people with attention spans of..... WOW! That dog has a puffy tail!!! WHeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!! Cute little doggy! Heheheehe!

Sorry, what was I saying?

Oh yes, PotBS has a lot more issues that killed the game right from launch, and we won't even get started on the rampant stupidity that is the port battle system. The boring repetitive 'missions' both sea and the atrocious 'land' combat . Star Trek Online basically copied from PotBS. The same 6 mission types over and over and over again. Add to that - combat in a ship in PotBS and combat in your space ship in STO basically devolve to turning matches till you kill your opponent or you have no shields on that side so you start turning the other way until either you or they die. Then multiply that by the 43 bajillion times you need to do it until you hit max level.

PotBS rocked in Beta - since it went live Flying Labs have done their utmost to kill it.

Posted: Jul 26th 2010 12:06PM Valdamar said

I loved the ship combat in PotBS, especially in the big PvP fleet battles, but the travel and logistics (I was having to make the same journeys every day to keep my economic chain functioning so I could supply guildmates who were building ships for us), the terrible avatar combat, and the weak quest storylines were what drove me away.

I've been tempted to go back just for the ship combat, but then I can still play my 1996 copy of Age of Sail on my PC and the ship combat in that is just as interesting - plus I bought East India Company in Steam's summer sale, though not played it yet (bought about a dozen other games too that are keeping me entertained) - so if I feel any desire for tall ship combat then I have other options.

Honestly I wish both PotBS and Auto Assault had been single-player games - in both cases I enjoyed the core vehicle combat, in short bursts, but the avatar and questing sections were very weak and neither were deep enough gaming experiences to sustain themselves as MMOs.

Posted: Jul 26th 2010 1:55PM mysecretid said

I wanted to try this game, and I wanted to like it, but -- when even the people who honestly enjoy the game feel compelled to list its flaws, out of fairness -- I know it's not for me.

I'll wait to see general reactions after the expansion arrives.

Posted: Jul 26th 2010 4:47PM (Unverified) said

Developers Please Note:
POTBS, STO same formula, instanced pvp that blows.
We don't want instanced pvp in an MMO, make it open world, but level based for balance, or don't make it at all.

The instances ruin both of these titles where the original concept of space or sea ship combat seemed like a win/win.

Just goes to show you that lousy Developers can ruin a game no matter how good the original idea is.