Posted: Jul 23rd 2010 12:08PM Teki said

EQ2 - the UI and sometimes the graphics.

WoW- shallow game play. It feels like an arcade style MMORPG

CoH- seems like a lot of rinse and repeat, more so then other games.

AoC/Vanguard - pretty vacant.

DAoC- Trials of Atlantis

Pirates of the Burning Sea - avatars. Pirates gold ftw.

Star Wars Galaxies-NGE

Warhammer online-seems more like WoW PvP edtion.

I like all the above games, these are the things I just don't like about them.

also, micro-transactions. Not a fan.

Posted: Jul 23rd 2010 12:11PM mattwo said

for all: the time consuming factor

Posted: Jul 23rd 2010 12:45PM (Unverified) said

It has been said before, but I want to repeat this:

The lack of auction houses in Guild Wars.

I managed to make 100 gold in one week in WoW playing the Auction Houses... With a lvl 32-36 (that's how far I leveled in that week) Warrior. If only Guild Wars had an Auction House...

I also want to add the rather limited possibilities for crafting in Guild Wars. The Salvaging system lends itself so well for a complex crafting system... And yet all you ever do is bringing cash and materials to a crafter, who then crafts the armour/weapons for you. The system has its advantages, sure, for example anyone can craft anything as long as he or she has access to the right crafter NPC, the materials and the money, but still I kinda wish the system was deeper than that.

I really hope GW2 will offer both.

Posted: Jul 23rd 2010 1:02PM Meagen said

I love CoH to bits, and I'm looking forward to Going Rogue, but when we players kept saying "We want a better 1-20 experience", we meant we'd like a revamp of the mission arcs at lower levels (especially blueside). Not "make a whole new 1-20 experience that you have to buy separately and leave the old crap exactly as it is".

Posted: Jul 23rd 2010 1:21PM J Brad Hicks said

There are things I hate about all MMOs, about the MMO formula: gating content by stats (like hit points) that go up automatically with level, and looting corpses, are my two top ones. But yeah, each of the MMOs I've fallen in love with had something I hated about it. To pick three:

Loved Neocron 1. Will probably never seen another MMO I love more than I loved Neocron 1. But dear gods, the end game out in the Wastelands was boring, unpleasant, and unimaginative compared to the early game. I also hated almost everything about Neocron 2.

Love City of Heroes. Would be hard pressed to begin to imagine how to design a better MMO than that. But dear gods, could it possibly take them any longer to add content to it? Even after ramping up their development staff to triple or quadruple what it was, they're still struggling to add a couple of maps and a couple of NPC designs every six months.

Love Star Trek Online. Am amazed it was possible to make anything that fits in the MMO genre that is as Star Trek-like as this, and think the space/ground alternating paradigm is nothing less than revolutionary and beautifully handled. But for the love of all holy gods, I couldn't hate indoor exploration missions any more than I do, because they all look pathologically stupid, especially compared to the rest of the game.

Posted: Jul 23rd 2010 2:04PM Scarecrowe said

I can agree more about the STO ground missions... and all of the raidosodes concentrated on that too!

Posted: Jul 23rd 2010 1:24PM (Unverified) said

After 6 years in City of Heroes, you still can't log out to the damn character screen for the server you selected. Nope, you gotta go all the way back and log in AGAIN, and pick your server AGAIN. I love the game, but for @$^#% sake let an altoholic log out to the damn character screen.

Posted: Jul 23rd 2010 1:39PM Aelon said

Eve: they make you work to find fun.

WoW: 9 million kids can't be wrong!

LotRO: The trial installer hides the launch icon and it doesn't even work in Vista. Here's to folder digging for an executable! (Needless to say, I didn't actually get to play).

EQ2: The #$*&@*#$& User Interface. And the "re-skinning" they are doing is the exact wrong direction from what they should be doing. Oh, and the general game performance on good PCs. But who needs shadows, meh!

Posted: Jul 23rd 2010 2:04PM VioletArrows said

DDO: Pay or be prepared to grind the same 2-4 instances for every level. God help you if you prefer solo. Also, just burn that poor Auction House to the ground and start over.

WoW: Hell is other people. As for the game itself, a lot of the problems I have with it are being fixed in Cataclysm (shlep quests, the crafting grind, OF THE WHALE, fishing). Been stuck for months on whether it's worth it to go back and suffer those wretched assholes to see the technical improvements.

Posted: Jul 23rd 2010 5:02PM Heraclea said

City of Heroes really needs more maps, and more dynamic maps, and not just reskins of the old maps that leave all the spawn points in all the familiar places.

The endurance mechanic is still problematic: not really very faithful to the comic book source material and not obvious to new players. It also means that the game hides its best side (fast paced combat) from new players, stuck with resting after every fight until they get Stamina, and not telling them that they need to spec for Stamina rather than, say, the powersets they chose when they made the character. The best thing the game could do for the 1-20 experience is make Stamina inherent for all from the start.

Posted: Jul 23rd 2010 5:08PM CheesecakeBandit said

Ive always had a love/hate relationship with WoW.

Loves
-comparative ease of entry
-more people
-lots of content

Hates
-contrived complexity
-lack of real depth, especially solo(including crafting, quests, reputations, and meaningful story experiences)

While I keep hearing about a "bad community," the fact is there are lots of parts of the game that are needlessly complex(which to Blizzards credit, they are removing some of it in Cata.) Statistics and rotations may spell "depth" to the high-end hardcore player base but to me and a large number of players it says "stupid complex junk." The game does not explain statistics outside of tool-tips and even then it can be intimidating. If you're going to make the player do math, at least explain it to them up front so they don't bumble around until they get smacked with an L2PN00B blast.

For content, random dungeon running may be fun for a little while, but it is not very rewarding, especially on an emotional level(which is basically the only real-life payoff games have). I need to care about what is happening in game on a level above "hey my gear is better than ur gear lulz." I need to have a connection to my own character and the npcs, not just any real-life friends I happen to bring along/make on the way. Grouping can sometimes even dilute this experience as well, making the player feel incapable of making any change by himself/herself, especially when PuGing(you try feeling proud after asking a random stranger for money to buy a lottery ticket).

This is an RPG of the MMO subset, and Last time I checked, RPGs were made fun by meaningful experiences, not by random sterile statistics.

Posted: Jul 23rd 2010 5:09PM CheesecakeBandit said

Holy crap that was longer than I expected.

Posted: Jul 23rd 2010 6:00PM Superfan said

I do enjoy CoH but cannot stand the repetitive nature of the whole game. It has 6 years behind it and they just add the same old, same old.

It'd be nice if they revamped all of the older Task Forces - those feel, look and play like a chimp created and designed them. Awful stuff for almost all of them.

They seem to have a lot more Devs but the content they add is just a rehash of what we already have. They need to retire the old stuff and just add new stuff.

Posted: Jul 23rd 2010 8:24PM (Unverified) said

Professions where you reach a certain level and then you are forced to the auction house (AH) to buy goods only available if you had leveled another profession. Ticks me the FUK off! Seriously.....I have leveled the shit out of my character and now I have to blow 20 or 40 gold for 20 mats of a leather good because I did not take up skinning. FUK THAT!!!!

Posted: Jul 24th 2010 3:57PM Suspiro said

Usually the Developer/publisher

Posted: Jul 26th 2010 12:28PM (Unverified) said

Guild wars... My first love. The game was great at the beginning (but then, I was fresh to MMORPGs). I remember the relative ease of pugging missions. It took about 20 minutes to get a group up and go through the mission, but every time was a blast if you were patient. This continued through Factions even. But then nightfall came out and they introduced heroes.

It was wonderful at first, so many people were able to solo so many missions that before, they couldn't. But then, no one pugged the easy missions. And slowly, all but the most grueling missions were soloed by 1 man with heroes/henchmen. Or 2 people with heroes.

It was the death of social interaction in Guild Wars. Unless you had a guild, you really didn't have to talk to anybody, ever. Which is great for solo-players (a large player base in gw) but sucked for people who want to make friends.

Then Eye of the North came out and increased the pool of heroes, and made builds like Sabway, and Discordway possible. Now it was possible to solo hard mode. And except for difficult dungeons and elite areas, the game is completely solo-able.

The death of an era of pugs, the beginning of an era of solo-builds.

Posted: Jul 28th 2010 9:44AM (Unverified) said

GW2: Not Released yet.

Simply really

Posted: Jul 28th 2010 9:45AM (Unverified) said

Simple*

Posted: Jul 30th 2010 3:29PM (Unverified) said

LOved Guildwars but hated the fact that it was painful to do grouping.

Liked Wow what I dint like about it was sometimes the community can be a letdown.

Posted: Jul 31st 2010 7:49PM (Unverified) said

Ultima online: Was the best game (even in the current times) BUT, Age of Shadows KILLED the game off in 2003.

The lead designer of WoW was the guy who made Age of Shadows in UO. He failed to see that in a game like WoW that's fine, but not in a sandbox game...

WRUP: Lucky Korea