Posted: Jul 23rd 2010 1:24PM Enaris said

Well, first off, there are two very separate ways to RP a villain.

One is to RP your villain as an antogonist, and the other is to RP him as a protagnist.

If you are RPing him as an antogonist, you're essentially using them to create RP opportunities for others (while RPing yourself). In alot of ways, you are taking a pseudo-GM role. You create the plot, settings and the like, while actively playing the character at the same time.

Now, being able to do this and still "play the game" is a bit harder. In City of Heroes, it's doable with a bit of imagination. I've seen it done using PvP zones, the Arena (better because it prevents griefers from bombing your RP session), and more recently, through creative use of the Architect.

Still, while RPing your villain may be a great deal of fun, the primary goal is to give the heroes an opportunity to be heroic.

Now, serving as a protaginist is rather different. It'd be possible to reverse the roles, and have an RP where a hero(s) take the antagonist role...though honestly, I've never seen it. (Hm... must consider doing such).

I'd think most of your comments tend to apply to Villian as Protaganist, which is, quite hard for me as well. I've most commonly worked my villains as antogonists.

Posted: Jul 23rd 2010 1:28PM Existentialist said

This may be a Philosophical point explained by a practical point, I know you're talking about RP communities but I have a few contentions.

Why can't the villain succeed?

Some of the "best" villains I've come up against in gaming weren't RP'ing at all. I remember when I was Imperial in Star Wars Galaxies and I went up against a Rebel who would lie, manipulate politics, and had a large following. Technically I would have been the honorable villain in this case, being Imperial and all, and he would have been the Hero that does anything he can to get things done but from my perspective it didn't seem that way.

What worries me is that when I consider RP'ing with players that #1 there is no consequence to the RP and that the villain most of the time loses. To me that sounds like a bad book that while the middle is different the beginning and end are the same.

I think you're writing a practical guide (correct me if I'm wrong) to creating good characters in a role-playing atmosphere but the inner villain in me thinks "Why can't I win?"

Posted: Jul 27th 2010 6:14PM Eliot Lefebvre said

The villain can most definitely succeed in fiction. In game, however... if someone actually teleports a giant mind-bomb squid into the major city of your choice, you'd think an NPC or two would mention it. And if they successfully conquered the whole planet, again, someone would really say something.

The problem is the game doesn't let you make sweeping changes to the game world. So your victories have to be pretty small scale.

Posted: Jul 23rd 2010 2:08PM Azimn said

I wonder where do you find a good RP guild? I was in one on STO but I work full time and go to school plus play a bunch of other games so my time is somewhat limited so while it was really fun for a while I logged in later to find out I was no longer in a guild.
I have played on many NWN RP servers and even help make a few, but when it comes to MMOs I have never had much luck. I currently play STO, DDO, GW, and soon LOTRO, also I am trying to convince my wife to play WoW. IF I can get her to play then I will be playing that too.
If anyone knows of a good RP guild especially in STO please let me know, or if there is somewhere to find guilds that I am unaware of.

Posted: Jul 23rd 2010 4:34PM wcdregon said

I was thinking about the Paladin example that Eliot made in the article and I thought to myself being villainous is a midnset, you could join a pick up group in say FFXI and do your paladin tanky thing with no one being the wiser that your core is truly dark and twisted, but one stray question can open a whole can of worms. Say one of your party members says "hey man your an awesome Pally, why'd you choose that?" This might sound like a one off type of situation, but if you play MMO's then you know random conversations can get very interesting with RP'ers mixed in with the general population. The standard response to that party members question would probably be "Oh I've always thought pally's we're cool" but the RP'er would get much more creative "I came to vana'diel to purify the land of tarutaru, their arcane knowledge will lead to our destruction" It's not a personal vendetta, he wants the safety of the world. Only problem is he thinks mass genocide is the way to achieve it ;)

PAX Prime 2014: Going on a deer hunt in H1Z1