Posted: Jul 22nd 2010 12:05PM (Unverified) said

So is this game java or flash based? Is it the game I can play on a school's computer without installing anything extra?

Posted: Jul 22nd 2010 12:33PM (Unverified) said

Calling games like these "browser based" really is misleading. The only thing the browser does is replace the shortcut (and update program) on your desk top. Since this game uses the Unity game engine, which is a full blown 3d render/game engine, just like other MMO's use. You can expect that the graphics might very well rival those of Eve Online (baring compatibility decisions).

Posted: Jul 22nd 2010 2:07PM Nickelpat said

SargentWild, Unity is truly a browser based engine. The best, and most recent example I can think of, if Tiger Woods PGA Tour Online. It ran on Unity and the only download was about 3MB, I believe it was the Unity plug in for my browser.

This is not like what Ijji does or Battlefield Heroes. There's no big client download and then you launch from a browser. It runs in the browser.

Unity CAN do full desktop games (and BSGO might be one of them), it can also do iPhone and iPad games and Mac games. It's very flexible, and pretty impressive.

Kgp, probably not. It will need to download the Unity plug in for the browser still.

As for the game itself, I'm not turning my nose up at it and I really have no pre-conceived conceptions. My BSG knowledge is limited to what I've been told and about 3 episodes, so it seems fine to me. I have no issue with browser based games, they're becoming very impressive. I'm kind of excited to see what they will do with the ground stuff. Guess we wait and see.

Posted: Jul 22nd 2010 12:11PM (Unverified) said

Battlestar Galactica will not redeem F2P Browser games

F2P Browser games will ruin what could be a good Battlestar Galactica MMO.

Posted: Jul 22nd 2010 12:25PM Daverator said

Sadly I think not enough people will click to the article to read your wisdom because they bypassed the article when its intro had "browser based".

Fortunately, they are likely already enlightened.

Posted: Jul 22nd 2010 3:27PM postman said

couldn't have said it better myself

Posted: Jul 22nd 2010 6:53PM (Unverified) said

Making wildly outlandish claims and offer no evidence to support them.

More claims without evidence.

Implying opinion as fact.

Posted: Jul 22nd 2010 12:12PM Snichy said

Never ceases to amaze me how developers of a new MMO always (and I mean ALWAYS) say it will be revolutionary and change peoples perceptions of its class or genre or bring something new to the table.

Not saying this "game" wont be great although they have a massive up-hill battle with a browser-based game, its just I'm really getting desensitised to the marketting talk and it just proves you can only really judge a game by playing it...!

Posted: Jul 22nd 2010 1:09PM Scopique said

I believe this was made with Unity, which is capable of creating desktop apps as well with little to no code changes. That it "runs in a browser" is only a platform, and not an indication of the technology behind it.

I will be turning my nose up at this game because BSG was about the people, not blowing sh1t up.

Posted: Jul 22nd 2010 2:20PM Lateris said

No offense but this is just my opinion. I think what developers and NBC do not understand is that BSG is a subcultural exchange of intelligent people on the fan level. The IP appeals to a non-main stream audience which the networks have no clue how to address in terms of mind processing. It does not appeal to the "easy crowd". It would have been better to make a sand pit MMO"RPG" with depth and story.

MMO Week in Review: QueueAge