Posted: Jul 21st 2010 9:12PM ScottishViking said

I'm really digging this concept. It's innovative and sure to breathe more life into places I never got to see (like Helegrod) because the rewards didn't make it worthwhile for higher level characters.

I really hope they find a way to make old rewards relevant again though. I'd love to see some of the old armor sets at higher levels. They kind of do a version of this with the skirmish armor, but they'd need to find a way to scale a whole set, instead of separate pieces.

Posted: Jul 21st 2010 10:36PM Lethality said

• Half a heart
I could not possibly disagree with this philosophy more.

No wonder they're headed free-to-play.

Posted: Jul 21st 2010 11:19PM (Unverified) said

what a thoughtful and well-defined argument your raise!

Posted: Jul 22nd 2010 1:15AM ScottishViking said

Yes, please enlighten us.

Posted: Jul 21st 2010 11:43PM Graill440 said

• Half a heart
Scaling, a big hit. Who woulda thought................

Ignorant devs, hard heads even softer asses.

Posted: Jul 22nd 2010 1:16AM ScottishViking said

*slow clapping*

Posted: Jul 22nd 2010 4:15AM (Unverified) said

In general this is really good idea and will bring some fun to all the players.
Though the main issue here is the rewards. People won't run old content if there is no carrot included. So far I haven't heard about those.

Half of the idea is more or less WoW dungeon finder with level(and maybe loot) scaling added. Sadly I find teleporting to instances really immersion breaking in LOTRO, traveling to Rift was a nice adventure itself, rather than camping in Moria or Mirkwood and teleporting around. Same with auto quests given, sure it's handy but it kills even more immersion. You know I already have WoW I don't need yet another copycat.

Then the sad truth behind - no new group content. It's nice to have scalable instances, but not so nice if it's instead actual new content. 1 new 6-man instance to last for more then a year is really meh.

Posted: Jul 22nd 2010 5:20AM (Unverified) said

This sounds really interesting - it's really bad if you "miss" an instance while levelling, i.e. you never get a group at the appropriate level. Returning later as a higher level robs the content of its challenge, making it less fun. So having instances scale to your level would theoretically make them always challenging, always fun, and if you're tired of a particular place, well, then choose another.

One question I didn't see answered however is: Will this new "dungeon finder feature" also allow you to create PUGs? Or will you have to come with a preformed group to use it?

Posted: Jul 22nd 2010 7:42AM Sjohn said

Lotro has an open grouping system already in place, it's just not used that much, just go to your social panel, and open fellowships, and place you group in there. I really wish people would use what's in place, it really works!

Posted: Jul 22nd 2010 11:37AM Tom in VA said

I think this is a great feature and one I wish more MMOs would incorporate.

Grouping to play is great and fun; but most FINDING groups and then GETTING to that group in most MMOs is a major pain.

I'd really like to see LotRO also add more summoning horns and (hunter-usable) campfires in and around the game, especially in locations where there is a lot of group content. I think this would greatly encourage grouping in the game.