Posted: Jul 21st 2010 1:39PM Superfan said

I think the mass exodus of players over the last year can be partly attributed to a lack of additional things to do.

The Devs haven't really given us new mission types or play styles. I'm not saying replace or change but to add and give fresh, new options and innovations. They just add 'fluff' to the game. When they do add content it's just the same old missions and looks as before with new text and context. After 6 years they need to do much more.

From the sounds of Going Rogue, it is likely going to be more of the same. No crazy new play experience or innovation. The alignment changes sound like they will quickly become a grind after you've done them a few times...a nuisance much like getting into the Midnighter's Club.

Much of the content in this game feels old and dated. The Shard TFs are not that great and the older TFs (with the exception of the Posi revamp) are just a grind to play.

Give us fun, new stuff to do and we might stick around. I think DCUO will sound the death knell for CoH.

Posted: Jul 21st 2010 11:44PM Daemodand said

I don't think DCUO will have any lasting impact on CoH as the two games are aiming for two completely different play styles, despite both being superhero MMOs.

Champions Online should be worried, CoH should not.

Posted: Jul 22nd 2010 9:24AM Valdamar said

Lack of new mission content is certainly what has caused a lot of players to take extended breaks from CoH on the EU servers (Union and Defiant anyway) - it's responsible for my own extended break too (though I'm still subbed so I can keep up with market stuff, vet rewards, and day jobs).

I'll be disappointed if GR doesn't add much past the new L1-20 content except tip/morality missions, but on the other hand I'm not expecting much beyond that from what we've heard. Now the endgame incarnate system is delayed until post-GR I think there will be some disappointment from the playerbase that there won't be much new to do for existing L20+ characters in Praetoria except have a look around and enjoy the new costumes. GR is mainly for new characters, with the new 1-20 content and new powersets - and it was needed, because the 1-20 content in both CoH and CoV was looking very ropey compared to newer content.

However Melissa Bianco did confirm, when she became lead dev, that her focus would be on adding new mission/story/zone content - as opposed to Matt Miller who obviously focused on systems, as that was his interest (Inventions, Mission Architect, Merits, etc.) - so I suspect that future issues will be a lot more mission-heavy, as we've been a bit starved for new zone/mission content since Issue 10 (tbh issues 8-10 really spoiled us for quality - amazing they did all that with a Dev Team of 15 people, when they have around 60 Devs now). I think we have to accept that GR is still mostly Matt Miller's baby (its central feature is another "system" - side-switching) and Melissa's tenure doesn't really kick in until post-GR.

I don't think DCUO will damage CoH much, if at all - in fact it could bring in new superhero MMO fans who later move to CoH - like you guys I think CO has more to worry about - though I do like the fact DCUO will have more environmental interaction than CoH (picking up cars, using lampposts as a weapon, etc.) - but I suspect DCUO will pick up those MMO fans more interested in PvP and action-based combat, while CoH will pick up those looking for a deeper MMO experience than CO/DCUO can provide, and CO... well, time will tell if it survives long past DCUO's launch - I suspect Cryptic would make it F2P and increase the number/cost of microtransactions before letting it die (which would make Tempes Magus very happy I suspect ;) ).

Posted: Jul 21st 2010 3:02PM CitizenH said

In addition to CoH needing more events IMO, the existing events need a revamp.

First, they don't reward enough to make people want to do them. In addition to that, they can be out leveled. There's no reason for a lvl 50 to sully their hands fighting grey-con Trolls in the Rave event in Skyway. They should be using the Rikti Invasion code in all events to make them more attractive to people of all levels.

Also, there's nothing worse than watching a Giant Monster roam around unopposed. Often you can't get a team together to fight it because nobody is interested or around, and a lone character can't trake it on. So we're expected to turn our backs while it continues its rampage. How very heroic.
GMs should have a timer where if they aren't defeated in a certain ammount of time, they change into tough Elite Bosses with decreased rewards that can be defeated solo.

Posted: Jul 22nd 2010 9:38AM Valdamar said

The endgame incarnate system is supposed to be based wholly around world/zone events, so I suspect defeating GMs will become a very popular way of earning the incarnate abilities.

Posted: Jul 22nd 2010 9:01AM (Unverified) said

CoH/V is one of the mmo's I've spent most time in, yet it doesn't hold the true gems I'm looking for when it comes to longevity.

Firstly, leveling for being such a "casual" and "cheeky" oriented game is slow and repetitive. It's been tweaked throughout the years but running the same instanced mission tires you out quickly. Actual GAMEPLAY is fun and teaming is extremely satisfactory though.

Secondly, it has no real and valuable PvP. They have the perfect RvR setup (super heroes and villains for christ's sake!) and implementing one open PvP server would truly shake the foundations and bring a new crowd in. The current guard hugging, super speeding maps to PvP on are useless.

Thirdly, base raiding hello? Why have a super group (guild) if there's nothing to gain from it than virtual space? Bring on PvP raiding, sieges etc, where's the creativity?

These few facts keeps me from subbing, which is too bad. It has a lot of nice features (character creation, no loot, fun group combat mechanics, great character progression) and a big fat soul that other mmos lack along with one of the greatest communities out there. Here's my hopes for a CoH2!

Perfect Ten: My World of Warcraft launch memories