Posted: Jul 20th 2010 8:20AM Lobotomist said

You are joking , right ?

I mean the fact that overly hyped MMO is just that :an overly hyped MMO. That we already know for a fact.

But that something comes and surprises us ? HA!? Like what ? One of ten thousand Korean grinders in development ? Or perhaps few western indy MMOs that never managed to even launch out of development ?

Lets face it. There will be no surprises , at least not ones that will surprise us with dream MMO. Perhaps an odd cool feature, here and there...

Posted: Jul 20th 2010 10:30PM drakon said

What Lobotomist said.

Unless there is an MMO that does not have an open beta, has a very tight NDA, and has a very controlled marketing scheme, then we (the people who would read Massively) will NEVER be surprised by an MMO release.

In that case the only option left (and the one I'd pick anyways) is to just have an MMO turn out to be as good as it was hyped to be. In my case I'd like TOR/GW2 to fit that role.

Posted: Jul 20th 2010 8:25AM Pewpdaddy said

It is possible an MMO could sneak up on someone and totally rock. However they'd probably have to live under said rock for this to happen.

It did happen to me back when I was playing Diablo 2. I had never played an MMO, nor did I follow them in any fashion. It was '97 and the 900 pound Gorilla at the time was EQ. My friends dad got me to try it, and holy crap. It was all over after that.

Posted: Jul 20th 2010 9:10AM (Unverified) said

Um... You had already been playing Diablo 2 in '97 and started playing EQ at that time...

How is this possible.

EQ came out in 1999, and Diablo 2 had came out after that in 2000.

Heck, the grandaddy of them all (Ultima Online) hadn't even released until late 1997.

Your alternate timeline confuses me :P

Posted: Jul 20th 2010 12:21PM Rayko said

For the last time folks: Diablo 2 is NOT an MMO. What part of "Massively" don't you understand ?

Posted: Jul 20th 2010 12:27PM Eamil said

@rayko74: "I had never played an MMO, nor did I follow them in any fashion."

That's rather explicitly saying that he doesn't think Diablo 2 is an MMO.

Posted: Jul 20th 2010 12:37PM Rayko said

heh , my bad =)

Posted: Jul 20th 2010 9:07AM Darkdust said

I'd just like a MMORPG to follow thru. I don't think that's unreasonable.

Posted: Jul 20th 2010 9:25AM Greeen said

I would love to be positively surprised, but I agree with Lobotomist, that there isn't any obvious MMO that surprised with something unexepected.
I have mostly been dissapointed with many MMOs due to the hype which in the end did not fulfill expectations. Hence I am nowadays happy if expectations come true, happy if there are no dissapointements.
LOTRO was a dissapointement for me, since I expected a sandbox type of world with the early developement of "Middle Earth Online". Although it turned out to be a nice game which stands out, it still felt like a Wxx/Ex-Clone (e.g. not even developers could give a good reason why a mount should be from lv35 on, which at the time was 3/4 to level cap).
AoC was another dissapointement, STO online as well (although I figured it won't live up to the hype considering the short developement time). And others....
So although I look forward to SWTOR, I basically have "no expectations", in the hope that it will positively surprise me....

Posted: Jul 20th 2010 9:33AM Tom in VA said

Very few MMOs live up to expectations; I suspect the smarter MMOs keep the hype to a minimum so as not to disappoint players. It's a fine line to walk. I think GW2 is handling the prerelease/hype "buildup" just about perfectly, whereas Bioware is going a little overboard. While I am interested in GW2, SWTOR still feels like a better fit for me.

Guild Wars was a game that was always sort of "under the radar" for me. Then, on a whim, I tried Factions on a free trial and absolutely fell in love with the game.

I think any game with smart pets/AI is a win/win for me, which is the main reason I'm hopeful for SWTOR (a game in which every class is in a sense a "pet" class). I was quite disappointed that Guild Wars 2 is abandoning this companion/heroes feature, and this moves GW2 down a few pegs in my book.

Posted: Jul 20th 2010 11:47AM nomoredroids said

They're removing the heroes? OMG I'm so glad. Its the part I hate most about GW. :)

Posted: Jul 20th 2010 9:44AM (Unverified) said

I figure if massively does its job right, then there wont' be a sneak attack.

Posted: Jul 20th 2010 9:57AM Jeromai said

Considering I get most of my new MMO-in-development news from Massively (and a couple random blogs that link to other news sites like Shacknews), I should think that I'd rather not be blindsided - that'll mean all of the newsfeeds, betas and previews, hype machines and marketing has failed, FAILED me good. :)

It's also really unlikely to happen, since most triple-A MMOs in cahoots with the retail industry have the marketing and distribution mechanisms locked down tight in standard pattern. Gamer mag previews, official game websites, forum discussions, closed betas, open betas/preview weekends, pre-order bonuses, collector's edition, and all the works. You'd really have to be living under a rock to not notice.

Living up to my expectations would be good enough. Living up to the hype would be an ideal dream.

But y'know what has so-called snuck up and surprised me? Or rather, me falling over an existing rock and being surprised to find that it really is a diamond in the rough...

That would be me game-hopping through existing niche MMOs and other classic games to find out that they really are quite charmingly different from the mainstream WoW - eg. A Tale in the Desert, Wurm Online, a bunch of roguelikes and flash games (not MMOs, just classics).

Problem is, niche is niche. They appeal to a subset of gamers, whose numbers normally run in the thousands, and tend to go via digital distribution or other indie means. You'd have to do some dedicated research to find them, and then narrow it down to those that appeal to your gameplay style, the game itself won't sneak up on you unannounced, neatly packaged in a retail box.

Posted: Jul 20th 2010 10:14AM Tizmah said

To me, it seems people build their own expectations in their mind for an MMO. I don't expect anymore than what has already been announced for an MMO. Watch videos, screenshots, and read information thats been released. Don't hope for something that hasn't been said. That just automatically sets you up for disappointment.

Posted: Jul 20th 2010 10:22AM Lateris said

I like the blind side choice. I just don't expect anything from MMO's these days that are mind blowing. It is such a large investment now due to the success of Blizzard that studios can't take a massive risk on new ideas that did not exists anymore. There are still many aspects of single player games that have not made it into the MMO game that really need to do so. Making terrain maps and adding mobs to kill is just dull and thoughtless. MMO's need to grow in terms of content, design, and game play. Maybe TOR will blindside me a bit with bringing the single player RPG to the MMO level. What I have seen so far makes me think it will be a good game.

Now if CCP decided to have atmospheric flight in Eve Online with no loading screens like many space simulators have, and introduced a ground game with no loading screens in Eve Online, that would blind side me.

Posted: Jul 20th 2010 11:25AM Ekphrasis said

I agree with some of the other posts here, it's almost impossible to have something amazing come along and 'blind side' you.

With so much choice available for prospective players these days, developers/publishers need to market well in-advance of release what differentiates them from their competitors or at least demonstrate how they've matched/improved pre-existing features in other titles. It doesn't serve their interests (attracting customers) to keep a spectacular new feature under wraps until release. Conversely, including more and more core features needs a longer development time - during which we all eagerly dissect any and all information we can find.

However, I imagine simply meeting expectations for a new title is tough work though - especially from smaller developers/publishers. In addition to the essentials like engaging and solid combat, storyline, questing/exploration etc. it's almost an additional requirement to have things like auction houses/markets, crafting, microtransactions, large scale PvP, heaps of end-game content etc. I think players now are less tolerant with new titles. After all, what is attractive about moving from a current title which has 'everything' to a new title that won't necessarily have everything you've come to expect?

As an example, while they are two very different games in some respects I still found the transition from City of Heroes to Champions Online rather difficult and apart from the improved art style in CO, still consider it to be an inferior competitor to CoX (in my opinion).

Posted: Jul 20th 2010 11:40AM Aquaryon said

I will make it simple, I would rather have a much-anticipated MMO live up to expectations and hype because I am hoping SW:TOR will be that game! :D :D :D

Posted: Jul 20th 2010 2:07PM BigAndShiny said

If Swtor lives up to it's hype, it will be the single most-used/watched/played entertainment product ever and will have 50 million players. The game will actually be 3 different games for different types of players, but in one game, and will be free to play and subscription , but not at the same time time.

seriously, Swtor will be good, and i will play it to death, but no, it will not live up to it's hype and i hope that someday, an AAA game will come out that does.

Posted: Jul 20th 2010 3:45PM karnisov said

is it just me or does the twilek look like he's wielding 2 blow-dryers.

Posted: Jul 20th 2010 5:38PM Graill440 said

I have to agree and support the first poster........."Your kidding, right?"

The current crop of devs and team leads will not suprise anyone with anything planned for the future or near release, hell they cant even get simple pvp right, what makes you think thay have the brains or common sense to suprise anyone with something great?. Money models drive ALL aspects of an MMO project, not the potential fans. MMO companies are car dealerships, throw somehting on the lot and then spin it.

Something that would suprise fans of MMO's? Devs pulling their heads out of their collective @sses. :)

Perfect Ten: My World of Warcraft launch memories