Posted: Jul 20th 2010 1:53PM (Unverified) said

Conan got off easy with a /stuck petition. Since that is the easiest to resolve for any GM of course it would have been picked up extremely fast.

This article fails to address the real difficulty in any community oriented experience. How difficult is it to find a group for group based content? Especially at the lower levels where someone who is new to the game world will be looking to group for the first time.

Posted: Jul 20th 2010 2:26PM Jef Reahard said

Honestly the lower levels of EQII and AoC are completely soloable (actually the entirety of the level grind in both games is, at this point). Grouping is pretty much optional in both games unless you want to do raid content, which is why I purposely avoided focusing on it in this particular installment.

We'll definitely examine PUGS and whatnot in future columns.

Posted: Jul 20th 2010 12:45PM Enikuo said

Great idea for a column! I'm really looking forward to reading this each week.

Posted: Jul 20th 2010 3:06PM Saker said

Agree, excellent idea for a column.

Posted: Jul 20th 2010 12:45PM Nef said

Good article, I like the idea a lot.

Are future posts going to delve a bit deeper into the community? I've found most will give answers to newbies and just having two questions isn't really enough to gauge a community. There's helpful people in any game, but it takes a bit of observation both in-game and on the forums to get a better feel for it overall.

Posted: Jul 20th 2010 2:28PM Jef Reahard said

Yep, definitely planning to go as in-depth as we can in a weekly column, and of course we'll be returning to the games over time as well. Will definitely incorporate the forums as well, good idea.

As this is the first installment, the format is likely to be a little fluid as we nail down our methodology (and also may change depending on the game).

Posted: Jul 20th 2010 2:52PM Nef said

Glad to hear that, can't wait to see what you guys and gals can do with this. Makes me want to do some observations of my own, over longer periods of time.

Any plans for various level ranges? Would need to plan ahead a bit for that, though. Time constraints are rough. :/

Posted: Jul 20th 2010 12:53PM (Unverified) said

Who's going to draw the short straw and ask newbie questions on WoW servers? ;)

Posted: Jul 20th 2010 12:58PM J Brad Hicks said

Indeed, thank you for this. Sounds like Funcom customer service isn't nearly the jerk convention I remember them being back in my Anarchy Online days; on the other hand, you're not asking them for anything difficult, like help with a stuck quest or to restore an item deleted by a bug. Please, do do this for more games.

(I cringe, though, when I try to imagine what the results will be in CoH, WAR, and STO; I don't think you'll be seeing instant to 15 minute response times in those, sadly. My last petition in STO wasn't answered for nearly 36 hours.)

Posted: Jul 20th 2010 1:01PM (Unverified) said

Ask about rp on a rp server and non-rp server...

Posted: Jul 20th 2010 1:22PM HooDiergod said

I like this new piece, it does seem PvE players are more friendly than PvP players. Good read :)

Posted: Jul 20th 2010 1:49PM Innocentte said

Nice review piece. Somehting with some meat and value. :)

Having played WoW since launch, I cannot wait to hear the analysis for that game.

I expect pretty much a total FAIL in all categories.

Kind of sad, actually, but I am afraid the WoW community is just not up to the challenge of being nice or helpful. At least most of them.

You can expect derision, purposefully wrong answers, ignorant and unhelpful GM staff, and days (if not weeks) of waiting for a GM reply.

EQII community is, indeed, great. As to AoC, I could not say. Although I played it some, the mechanics just don't suit my play style.

Posted: Jul 20th 2010 1:51PM (Unverified) said

I imagine the responses on a PvP server were terse, entered as quickly as possible and not taking the time to type out your name in a /tell because you do not want to see something like:
"just go north past the wwwwwwaaaasssdddd"
(several seconds later)
"sorry, someone just ganked me! :-("

Posted: Jul 20th 2010 2:28PM (Unverified) said

True Conan was designed to be a solo experience to around, what was it level 20? But after that I do recall there being the spider cave and 1 maybe 2 boss or elite level mobs that required a group to take down.

Posted: Jul 20th 2010 3:19PM Pigeonko said

Did you ask the Freeport or Qeynos side on EQ2's Nagafen?

Posted: Jul 21st 2010 2:14PM (Unverified) said

I'm guessing he asked Freeport-side only because he mentions doing a quest in the Commonlands just outside of Freeport.

Posted: Jul 21st 2010 4:30PM Jef Reahard said

Freeport.

There were a lot of choices like that that I had to make for this first column. It was actually twice as long at one point and pretty impractical.

I'll re-examine the Qeynos side in a future installment.

Posted: Jul 20th 2010 3:20PM Lateris said

Very nice article Jeff. BTW I leveled my sin with little grouping all the way to 80 until my last two zones. The reason is because my guild mates all joined up to level a group of us.

Posted: Jul 21st 2010 2:01AM Jeromai said

Good stuff. Looking forward to more games, and more tests of different community aspects (forums, globals, grouping, etc.)

I'd actually be willing to wager that as long as the account looks like a new account, and the question is asked in decent English and sounds like a genuine newbie question, all games - pvp or pve - will have a couple friendly helpful people who will get in touch with you. Via tells, even if the regional chat is a morass of useless rubbish.

One thing that I would be very interested to know, but requires a lot of research, is the general community 'feel' of different servers for a game.

Eg. City of Heroes - Freedom and Virtue are known to be the most crowded. Freedom is more a l33tspeak haven with more powergamers, Virtue population tends to type more in complete sentences because of their higher roleplayer ratio. For someone who doesn't like crowds, which are the other servers that have moderate populations, etc.

LOTRO - Landroval and Brandywine are big, I hear. I played on Nimrodel and it was pretty deserted at my gameplay times, but had a small but staunch Monster vs Free peoples pvp community thing going on.

Possibly too much research for this type of article, but I can dream. :)

Posted: Jul 21st 2010 2:12PM (Unverified) said

I have to say, I really like this idea for a column. It gives me something to reference from when looking into trying a new game, since community is an important part of an MMO. :)

So thank you for the information! I was a little surprised you picked Lucan D'Lere and Nagafen for your article as when I played EQ2 on Antonia Bayle they were regarded as the least friendly/most argumentative servers, in part due to the 'hardcore' PVP nature of Nagafen. I'm pleased to see you had a much more positive experience than rumors would have had me believe! :)

I'm curious about AoC though. As I think someone else asked, would you be capable of giving a feel for the size/depth of the community on Wiccana and Cimmeria? Did the game feel empty, or were there enough people for it to seem populated?

Leaderboard: Which dead MMO is your favorite?

Posted on Jul 30th 2014 12:00PM

The Daily Grind: Do you prize MMO stability?

Posted on Jul 30th 2014 8:00AM