Posted: Jul 20th 2010 1:10PM (Unverified) said

I've always really really wanted and have, on several occasions, really really tried to use Raptr. I like it, but none of my friends use it. Well, maybe one or two, but not enough to justify its use over something less resource-intensive like, say, Trillian or Pidgin.

I guess I should try to convert my friends, but many of them are stuck in the stone age and still use separate clients for each protocol, and seem strangely adverse to using multi-protocol clients.

Posted: Jul 20th 2010 1:51PM Beau Hindman said

Clock: Your friends don't need Raptr, which is the main reason for the service. If you have AIM for example, and Xbox LIve and a Steam account, you can add those accounts to your Raptr account.

When you sign into Raptr, it signs you into those accounts, all from the single Raptr service. As far as your friends can tell, you are signed into Steam/Xbox/AIM...you still chat with them normally. Right now, for example, I am in using Raptr to chat with a Yahoo friend and a friend that is playing an Xbox game.

Beau

Posted: Jul 20th 2010 1:19PM donweel said

Interesting, I wonder how this compares with Xfire.

Posted: Jul 20th 2010 1:55PM Beau Hindman said

Don: According to Dennis, Xfire covers far fewer games that Raptr. Both have issues covering some of the ones that *I* play, but Raptr makes it really easy to send feedback. It's built right into the browser, on a side bar.

Beau

Posted: Jul 20th 2010 2:02PM Nickelpat said

It integrates really nicely with Xfire. I just started using it and put my Xfire account info in it, and it pulled all of my games from Xfire and all of my hours on there. I like Raptr a little more than Xfire, since it does all of my PS3 trophies, GFWL achievements, and Steam achievements. But Xfire is much easier on the eyes and you can form groups which is really helpful.

I love that I don't have to manually add games to Raptr. Once I linked my PS3 account, GFWL/XBL account, and Xfire game, I waited about 15 minutes and it had added 192 games from those accounts. It missed a few and I went through and touched it up. Probably still have 30 or so left to add. Mostly expansion packs, games Xfire doesn't support, or PS3 titles.

Posted: Jul 20th 2010 9:35PM mattwo said

games for other consoles can also be added manually

Posted: Jul 20th 2010 2:26PM (Unverified) said

Due to Digsby's authentication problems I'm going back and giving Raptr a try.

Posted: Jul 20th 2010 9:22PM mattwo said

I have raptr, aside from facebook it's how I connect with my current best friend. (Me and my old BF kind of grew distant, our interests started to vary too greatly, and he's not the most fun kind of guy, he also doesn't use IMs).

Posted: Jul 21st 2010 8:22AM sadsurfer said

I like Raptr, going to give it another shot but I wish it would not automatically change the status to show the game I am in ..... not good for when I am working ;)

Posted: Jul 22nd 2010 4:30PM (Unverified) said

I used Raptr for a little while, but I don't really have a lot of friends who play other games, so I was mostly using it as a way to track my game stats for my blog.

My main annoyance was that it didn't automatically track play time for many of the games I play (especially handheld games, where such a thing is impossible) and adding hours to a game is really quite annoying. The only way to do so is to select a game and then select a number of hours that you're going to play it, and then let that time tick down.

You can't just say "I'm playing this game right now" and then tell it when you're done. You also can't tell it "I played Pokemon SoulSilver for 10 hours over the weekend", you have to tell it you're about to play for 3 hours, then wait 3 hours, then tell it you're about to play for another 3 hours, etc. and that effectively prevents you from playing anything else until Raptr catches up with your backlog, and makes any record of your gaming habits completely inaccurate.

If they've fixed these major issue now that they're out of beta, maybe I'll start using it again. That, and if they've added a new widget that actually fits in a standard blog sidebar. I sent in feedback for all these things and didn't see any improvements over a month or so, so stopped using it weeks ago.