Posted: Jul 20th 2010 10:16AM Lobotomist said

There is no reason to play EU version. I switched to USA servers long ago due to DDO:UO and never looked back since. Ping is very good (never above 150) and there are always european players playing

Posted: Jul 22nd 2010 3:18PM Kalec said

how can a EU player play the USA version, I would love to do this but I don't know how ... when I try to make an account, the server gives me some sort of very weird error message (always thought it was because I don't have a USA IP)

Posted: Jul 20th 2010 10:40AM (Unverified) said

I was playing the USA version? I never knew! I didn't even know there were separate EU servers.

Posted: Jul 20th 2010 10:53AM (Unverified) said

huh, I wonder if the same scenario will happen with LOTRO... now that I've read this post, I realized that the news about LOTRO going f2p was visible only at the american webpage, the european never mentioned anything about it *gulp*

Posted: Jul 20th 2010 10:56AM Lobotomist said

Yea...sadly this would mean we have to kiss bye bye to our codemasters LOTRO characters. Or ?

Damn...What about expansions we purchased ?

Posted: Jul 20th 2010 11:10AM (Unverified) said

Posted: Jul 20th 2010 11:27AM Renko said

Personally I can't understand why anyone is still playing the EU version!

I also expect to hear that NetDevil have taken back the EU publisher rights for the still in development Jumpgate Evolution, which Codemasters support for has been nonexistent for awhile now. Seems like Codemasters is getting out of the MMO business altogether.

Posted: Jul 20th 2010 12:33PM (Unverified) said

You say that, but if you look on the CodeMasters website, they are actively recruiting for Online Games Designers - this would lead me to think they want to develop their own game - not just publish others'.

Posted: Jul 20th 2010 1:52PM (Unverified) said

Honestly, it's not entirely accurate to say this is DDO-Europe going Free to Play, although the announcements from Turbine and Codemasters would lead to that terminology.

What's actually happening is DDO-Europe's service offered by Codemasters is being shut down and European server players are being offered the chance to transfer to the DDO:U service that has been offered by Turbine since September of 2009. Which is pretty much what much of the DDO:Europe crowd has been hoping for.

The only "new" stuff that could be termed a "Global DDO" rollout, besides the transfer option, is the plan by Turbine to have a beta version of DDO:U in French and German language clients (or something) sometime later this year. Although I would not be surprised to see Turbine announce a new server or two at some point here, it would be an easy way to deal with duplicate names and guilds.

Posted: Jul 21st 2010 7:43AM Misterlee said

Wow I didn't realise they were still stuck on the subscription model in the EU. Just reinforces my view that Codemasters are the worst publisher for MMOs. They made a terrible job of LotRO in Europe, the services were not even remotely comparable with the same game in the US and apparently it was the same with DDO.