Posted: Jul 25th 2010 9:45AM Birk said

I will interject here, because I have a minor gripe with your praises for AoC's interactive conversation.

Yes, I think it's a better system then the wall o' text a-la WoW. But every dialogue choice leads to exactly the same quest (in my experience; could be a different case for a few quests, perhaps, but the vast majority: no). It felt very tacked on and artificial to me, and at the end it was no better than clicking "Next Page".

However, AoC is a solid game and a good time. I don't know why I couldn't stick with it after tortage...levelled 2 characters into the mid-twenties, but both Gateway to Khitai and the Cimmerian noob zone bored me to tears.

I will say, however, that Herald of Xotli's are a blast to play, PVP and PVE.

Posted: Jul 20th 2010 2:50PM Lateris said

My concern is how fast will they pump out new content in a free to play model.

Posted: Jul 20th 2010 3:05PM Its Utakata stupid said

Somewhere inside of me a voice want's to scream, "F2P: the cancer that's eating MMO's!" But I know if I said that, I probably be flagged for trolling or worse....so I'll try to keep this displeasure to myself.

Posted: Jul 20th 2010 3:43PM (Unverified) said

Cancer doesn't eat.

Posted: Jul 20th 2010 4:47PM Its Utakata stupid said

...nor can MMO's get cancer. It's just a metaphor of how I feel regarding F2P's/MT's and MMO's. Maybe not even a good one. /shrug

Posted: Jul 21st 2010 3:18AM timthel0rd said

FTP + Cash Shop is for people who want to spend lots of money on their games, with no limit.
P2P is for people who want to spend a set amount on their games.

Posted: Jul 20th 2010 4:31PM uberman3000 said

Id play AoC if it was f2p.

Posted: Jul 20th 2010 4:50PM Its Utakata stupid said

...as I suspect, some will quit if it went F2P.

Posted: Jul 20th 2010 4:51PM Its Utakata stupid said

...that was meant for ubberman3000. /sigh

Posted: Jul 20th 2010 5:35PM timthel0rd said

I'd rather pay a straight up monthly fee and be on the same floor as everyone, than be forced to play against people who can afford to sink thousands of dollars into the game, and for ever be left behind.

Posted: Jul 21st 2010 12:20AM Ragemaster9999 said

Right, because RMT doesnt exsist and people never buy stuff under the table to get ahead in p2p games right?

Very few companies actully successfully enforce or eliminate gold buying / power leveling in online games.

I think the step towards F2p as long as it doesnt incorporate a play to win mentality, can work. People pay to win in p2p games as is, so i dont see the huge scare of an honest f2p game..

Posted: Jul 21st 2010 3:06AM timthel0rd said

Of course you can never get rid of things like gold buying or power leveling, but they aren't the sort of things I'm talking about.

I'm ok with exp potions that give you double exp or possibly items that are worth a lot of gold themselves, but don't give any advantage other than that (i.e. buying gold/power leveling).

What I do hate, is cash shops that give people with more money, an actualy advantage, that is unobtainable by non-paying customers. Things like +% damage pots or armour that you can only access via the cash shop.

I like to point to something like Evony (not exactly the same as this, but it displays everything I mean, in great magnitude). You CAN play the game without spending a penny, and still get along partially fine. But if you do spend money, you get access to base teleporters, free armies/medals (required for becoming stronger). Sure, I can get medals from farming, but the drop rate is literally amazingly bad.

Another example is Supreme Destiny (With Your Destiny, the other name for it, iirc). They had some items, such as skill reset stones, that you could either farm a bit for (not too bad, could probably get one in a day or two if you wanted) or you could buy from the cash shop. It's these sort of items, that I'm only partially against.

And my last example for cash shops is League of Legends. You can pay to unlock charcaters, how ever all characters can also be unlocked via IP (gained from winning games) and is fairly easy to collect. The other item in the cash shop are skins. They have no effect, but to change the look of your characters. This is the style I fully endorse. Giving people an option to spend money, and get something out of it, without being forced into it. I love it.

Now, this isn't to say the micro-transaction model is a bad one, I get where they're coming from, and I'm sure it works damn well. I just personally don't like it, because it forces me to spend an unspecified (and usually not informed of prior to download) amount, to keep up with everyone else.

If I have the OPTION to use the cash store, but don't fall unrecoverably far behind if I don't, that's fine. If I'm going to always, or nearly always lose, because I don't use the cash store, I'm not a fan of it. To me, fast leveling/gold collection will only get you so far in most p2p games.

OH GOD WALL OF TEXT.

Posted: Jul 20th 2010 9:52PM wondersmith said

Being a noncompetitive PvE carebear on a shoestring budget, I don't mind if others buy their way to power. Indeed, I'm grateful! They're paying my way, after all.

Posted: Jul 28th 2010 1:36PM Grizz said

Posted: Jul 21st 2010 6:25AM Shadanwolf said

My guess.NA will go ftp as well.Today they feel they can make more money with a subscription model.Korea lets them get their feet wet with AOC ftp..before the NA switch.

On the issue of future content....with a growing list of ftp consumer choices...game developers must provide fresh content..or loose players.

Posted: Jul 21st 2010 12:20PM (Unverified) said

AOC rocks!! It's the single best MMO out there now. I love the old content, and Khitai is even better. I agree, it's the best PVE game on the market. I was a diehard wow addict, and can't even log in anymore. AOC is so much better! If AOC went F2P, I wouldn't care, but I don't see why they would.... Tons of people playing are playing...

Posted: Jul 24th 2010 10:35AM (Unverified) said

All this talk of F2P games...they're really not free, in the case of ALLODS, you almost have to spend money. Maybe they need to come up with another name for them.

MMO Week in Review: Are you Elite or Dangerous?

Posted on Dec 21st 2014 8:00PM