Posted: Jul 20th 2010 11:44AM Barinthos said

Wow, more F2P conversions on the horizon?

I've always wanted to give AoC a shot, but didn't have the money to "try" a game and not liking it. And i didn't find a Trial at all either.

So if AoC goes F2P, i'll be sure to give it a go. LOTRO is shaping up to be pretty good with it's conversion from what I've seen in the beta, so I'm sure AoC would be fine as well.

Posted: Jul 20th 2010 12:38PM Slob Zombie said

There's a trial and I'm pretty sure it's limited by content not time.

Plus you can always get the original game for $4.99 shipped and get 30 days of everything (minus the expansion):

Posted: Jul 20th 2010 12:58PM Barinthos said

Oh, awesome. Thanks Double9s, I guess I should have actually googled for it rather than looking on the home page for something obvious.

I'll have to give it a shot now.

Posted: Jul 20th 2010 11:49AM (Unverified) said

Strange, I always thought Funcom had an affirmative stance on RMT/Micro-transactions, in that they were never going to include them in AoC. Guess I Must be thinking of another MMO then...

Reading this is a little bit reassuring though.

"So maybe it wouldn't be a stretch to do what other western companies offer and consider adding a store that sells vanity items for example (as you see in EQ2), maybe we wouldn't consider the items people presume are more common in Korea (that effect power), and all the items that they will sell, as we already offer some of them as veteran's rewards etc for example and would shape what we offer appropriately. "

Posted: Jul 20th 2010 11:52AM Lateris said

Man, am I glad that I just used my time card for 2 months that I had been sitting on.

Posted: Jul 28th 2010 1:30PM Grizz said

When games go free-to-play, the time cards usually allow you to enable a "Full" account and access to special areas ala. DDO.

But its a gamble, so you probably did the right thing.

Posted: Jul 20th 2010 11:53AM xyna031 said

• 1 heart
just lol

Posted: Jul 20th 2010 12:00PM Randomessa said

If AoC goes free to play, I will most definitely come back, and so will my gaming partner! I know it's just highly speculative at this point, but my fingers are crossed.

(Come on, Warhammer, you know you want to....)

Posted: Jul 20th 2010 12:14PM rznkain said

• Half a heart
**deleted by editor, reason: trolling. -bree**

Posted: Jul 20th 2010 12:22PM Cendres said

Yes because with all the MMOs out there it's very hard to imagine that maybe not everyone can afford more then one subscription a month and must therefore choose just one, and *gasp* a lot of people won't pick AoC as their first choice...

Saturated market; the less highly successful games will have to change strategy, I can't blame them for considering it seriously.

Posted: Jul 20th 2010 12:34PM Cendres said

And that's just one scenario of why someone would enjoy a F2P. So far in what we've seen with these emergent micro payments, I like Turbine's method the best, you are free to pay the monthly OR free access but having to pay by chunks.

Posted: Jul 20th 2010 1:28PM Randomessa said

Not at all, I just assign a value of less than $15/mo to pay to play MMOs. I get more enjoyment than I have time out of Guild Wars, which costs me $0.00 per month, and there isn't currently an MMO that competes with that for enjoyment value.

At a comparable cost of $0.00, several MMOs begin to look more appealing for that value. QED.

Posted: Jul 20th 2010 12:40PM Dranaerys said

I bought conan on its release, and found a very enjoyable experience from 1-20 and an utterly boring game after you get off newbie island. HAs it actually improved any in the years since its release?

I always found it curious that they boasted all their quest dialogue was spoken by voiceactors, yet once you leave Booty Island, everyone seems to become mute. :P

Posted: Jul 20th 2010 12:49PM (Unverified) said

it improved to a point where i'd call it the single best pve-game out there atm (pvp is another story - but pvp in mmo is lol for me ...).

If you are dependant on voice acting in an mmo though, i cant help you :)

(and yes, even after tortage there are some voices ...)

Posted: Jul 20th 2010 12:49PM (Unverified) said

Good point although it IS 2.5 years late... News isn't surprising, tbh this is the way things are going for all mmo company whether they come out and say it or not.

Personally I just want to play the games I like, if FC introduces this correctly in Europe I wouldn't mind but I want stuff to balance out my prepaid sub.

Of course there is the carrots like with LOTRO where Development appears to be speeding up nowwhich had been on the wain. Finally we might make it to Morder!!! :)

Posted: Jul 20th 2010 1:02PM Barinthos said

@Sunny - You'll have to elaborate on the "single best PVE-game out there atm" for me.

I'm always on the look out for great PVE games. And "single best" piques my interests just a bit :P

Posted: Jul 20th 2010 1:08PM alucard3000 said

@ sunny sorry you are wrong the single best pve game out there is Lord of the Rings Online AoC doesnt even come close to it as far as pve goes.

Posted: Jul 20th 2010 3:48PM (Unverified) said

its all a matter of taste for sure (i never got into Lotro really, but played enough to have an opionion) - but what i know: fights are more immersive, raids are better, classes are more varied, healing is a fun job in AoC (while dishing out actual dmg), tanking isnt boring as hell, the visuals are far better and general chat is bursting with lfg's for all kind of instances (and there are A LOT). just my humble opinion of course.

Posted: Jul 20th 2010 1:52PM Innocentte said

• Half a heart
In other words : '...as long as the suckers in NA are willing to pay for AoC, well then...'

FailCom; 'nuff said.

Posted: Jul 20th 2010 2:03PM Valentina said

Age of Conan's PvE is close to being as good as LOTRO's and in some ways it's designed better. There are no text boxes in Age of Conan, it's all interactive dialogue, so it keeps you immersed into the game, and the quests feel like they serve a purpose in the game, and in the storylines of the game in a way that has not yet been matched in other MMO's.

I think they would benefit from a hybrid model such as DDO's, but Age of Conan has performed well over the last year and rakes in a significant profit to FunCom, so until that begins to decline, or they feel they can take a risk with it for the sake of potentially increasing the success of the project, than that's when we'll see it over here.