Posted: Jul 18th 2010 12:11PM (Unverified) said

There are just better alternatives today which is why I do not go back to my old games such as Diablo, Diablo 2, Starcraft, FFXI and Guild Wars. I play Borderlands, Torchlight and currently waiting for Diablo 3. No reason for me to go back to the old Diablo games at all. I played Guild ars for 4+ years now and it is more appealing to follow GW2 rather than play the old Guild Wars.

Posted: Jul 18th 2010 12:18PM (Unverified) said

Started with EQ, checked out every game coming out, but came back to EQ every time... until WoW came along. Now I'm doing the same thing, just sticking to WoW and trying out other games.... maybe GW2, FFXIV or SW-Kotor will do the trick...

Posted: Jul 18th 2010 12:26PM Jeromai said

I'm a card-carrying -anything and everything- gamer and proud of it. So yeah, new and shiny all the way.

Other folks can go deep into one game, I go broad and try as many as I care to. I like casually studying game design and different types of systems and mechanics and the only way to do that is to try and play a ton of games.

I don't ditch the one I'm currently playing as crappy though. I've usually picked one or two that I've decided I really like and play that as deep as I care to, but I'm happy to bounce off for a couple days or weeks to somewhere else to test the waters there.

The only thing this type of wanderlust playstyle plays hell with is any kind of lasting social network. Oh well, win some, lose some.

Posted: Jul 18th 2010 1:06PM Graill440 said

Try out new titles yes, entertainment being what it is, in the vain hope the game will work and perform as advertised and promised, not a game i have tried to date has made it past the first month, some not even days, save EVE and LOTR, idiot LT choice by myself on the latter.

Posted: Jul 18th 2010 1:32PM Seldra said

It does happen to me as well but only in the case of console games, MMOs on the other hand no. Anet has really done a good job on keeping people interested in the IP by aggressively updating the current game and giving incentive to unlock achievements that you can transfer over to your GW2 account. If anything with the news of GW2 being so innovative and breaking the molds it's made me more interested in playing the IP than ever before.

Posted: Jul 18th 2010 3:12PM Pingles said

Looks as though I'm in the minority.

I tend to focus on one game at a time. That being said, if that particular game does not grab me I jump pretty quick.

But once I get going I have an insane need to explore every part of whatever gameworld I have chosen.

Posted: Jul 19th 2010 9:11AM Arkanaloth said

Somewhat... Though in the background my favorite is always there. Despite spending time playing WoW and EQ2 I've always come back to GuildWars and since GW has no montly fee it was a no brainer to keep it around. Every time I was LFG in another game I would think "If this were GuildWars I'd be out playing and not sitting here waiting..." and that thought would make me log off for the day and play GW. Eventually that same line of thought would make me quit the game and play GuildWars. So the "newest" has yet to truly satisfy me away from my best.. I'm pretty sure it's going to take GuildWars2 to finally convince me to give up Guildwars.

Posted: Jul 19th 2010 9:50AM (Unverified) said

I'm going through that right now, and have gone through it many times before.I want to play one game and no other game will quench my desire, other similar games just aren't doing the trick. I sit and wait it out. Put as much time into the forums for the game I want to play as humanly possible.

Every second is an hour, tick tock goes the clock, tick tock, tick tock.

Posted: Jul 22nd 2010 11:39AM Araxes said

I've been playing EQ2 since it launched, in November 2004. Not playing it off and on, mind you, but playing it every day, for at least an hour and usually more, for almost 6 years, now.

I've had my moments of burn-out, where I say "Okay. Enough. I can't do this anymore." Generally, these have been cured by creating an alt, one not associated with any guild or circle of friends, and just enjoying some easy leveling in a newbie area.

However, even that remedy can start to seem pointless once you've been playing for so long and have tried literally every single race and class combination there is to offer.

Recently, probably within the past 6 months, I've really felt the urge to try something completely new.

Unfortunately, there hasn't been anything that is currently on the market which keeps my interest. I enjoyed LOTRO, WAR, and WOW. I thought GW was a beautiful game. I gave AOC a whirl. I'm not much of a sci-fi / space fan, so I've skipped that genre entirely (sorry, EVE). Heck, I even tried out Free Realms and DDO.

None of those games offered me the experience I was looking for; all of them were great, and enjoyable each in their own ways, and most of them were beautifully built, with stunning art and great vistas. Yes, yes, yes ... and so forth.

They did not keep my interest, in spite of their benefits.

I think my wanderlust is simply as a result of seeking out that which is *familiar* but not necessarily the same, while at the same time, something that maintains the level of quality that I have come to expect in my game, in the community, and in, yes, even in the development team, and its support of a game.

It always takes time to get into a new game, and MMO's even moreso. However, I'm a firm believer that your first go with the world of MMO's is what sticks with you for the rest of your time gaming, assuming you enjoyesd that first experience enough to stick with it. For example, how many first timers tried out WoW, and were blown away? Or EQ2? Or Guild Wars? LotRO? So on and so on.

That experience becomes the bar for everything to come after, really. I think that's why I experience this ongoing lull.

All that being said, right now I've got my eyes firmly fixed on Rift: Planes of Telara.

Why I Play: ArcheAge

Posted on Oct 30th 2014 12:00PM

Massively's MMO guide to Halloween 2014

Posted on Oct 30th 2014 11:00AM

The Daily Grind: Do you defend your favorite MMO?

Posted on Oct 30th 2014 8:00AM