Posted: Jul 16th 2010 11:53AM (Unverified) said

I've been looking forward to GW2 anyways, because I did a trial of GW1 and really liked the playstyle, and even though it was an older game the graphics were still very good.

This article and the one preceeding it have made me actively desire this game. Seeing the talk of having more utility and less speciality on the group roles, and seeing them get away from the concept of a 'Tin-can stuffed with meat' for the control/tank role really got me interested. I can honestly see enemy encounters in GW2 being less about "Group them up on the tank, then just spam AoE" and more about tactical movements, and strategy, like having the control stun one mob of a 2 mob pull, then move to the other and work on it while an elementalist kites the first mob around a bit, leading it to the puddle of water it laid down, freezing it, then trading it off to the ranger after putting down a fire wall to light the arrows on fire before they hit the mob in the legs, slowing its movement.

The concept of Skill Interactions has me very interested as well. The idea that a control could knock something down, then a Damage could use a movement slowing ability, but because the enemy is on the ground, instead of slowing movement, it actually pins the enemy to the ground, extending the knockdown for a few more seconds.

Overall, very excited about this game and it's potential.

Posted: Jul 16th 2010 12:04PM Wisdomandlore said

"We are very set on changing established models that we think were not working in general or do not work for our game. Guild Wars 2 is its own game with its own rules, and we want to make sure that the experiences from playing it gel together."

I wish other designers would take this stance. Then again, there are plenty of players clamoring for a reskinned version of the exact game they just played. I can't count the number of people that come in (insert any MMO here) and do this:

"I'm sick of WoW. I'll try this game."
/plays for 30m
"Why isn't this game more like WoW?! ARGHHH!"

Posted: Jul 16th 2010 12:24PM Enikuo said

I really like the design decisions they've made. I'm excited about playing and experiencing their different approach to group combat. I also appreciate that they are giving interviews and releasing statements that have substance.

Posted: Jul 16th 2010 12:32PM Audacious said

"Aren’t you afraid that there are too many innovations for GW2? How can you be sure that it’ll be fun for the GW1 players?"

Is the MMO genre really so stagnate that this question needs to be asked?

Posted: Jul 16th 2010 3:23PM Tom in VA said

I actually think this was a fair question, Raze, because GW2 is soooo very different from GW1. They are taking some great risks and doing some innovative things, yes, but some of these "innovations" are actually making GW2 MORE like most other MMOs, not less.

A lot of the features I liked about the original Guild Wars, features that made GW unique and fun, have been thrown out in GW2.

For example (and maybe I'm alone in this), I really loved the way the instancing worked in the original game, I loved the focus on story, I loved how the game offered heroes/henchmen for those of us who HATE PUG-ing or prefer not to group with lore-breaking character/players with moronic names like "Imsoleet" and whatnot.

GW2 is innovative, yes, but not always in a good way, imo, though I am still cautiously optimistic about the game. I think GW2 will be good, but I do not think it will be as great and as unique as the original game. Had they retained more of the original features of Guild Wars 1, I would be more excited about GW2 than I currently am.

Hence the interviewer's question is a fair one since sometimes a lot of "innovation" isn't necessarily a good thing.

Posted: Jul 17th 2010 2:25AM alinos said

i agree with you tom

the things that made me enjoy GW so much were the very things that set it apart from other MMO's i played at the time

First it had a story (IMO WoW lore is not story it had no narrative other than get to max lvl)

2nd it had the limited skill bar but with a huge amount of skills
which meant you had to be tactical in the way you skilled yourself for PvE and to make sure there was cohesion accross the team in PvP

this mixed with the fact that there was also a max level for gear made the game much more tactical

as opposed to other MMO's where every class has the same skills and then it comes down to mainly how much time theve had to grind for gear(sure theres talent trees but they normally just split into 2-3 options if you wanna actually be competitive

And imo instancing was a positive not a negative

whether you were playing alone or with others there was always a group there it felt like a real adventure and the instancing means that you have to travel a certain path allowing better use of enemies in that path

as opposed to other MMO's where it just well heres the map this circle is all this type of enemy and that circle all that

and stuff like the visunah square missions where multiple groups grouped together made it all the more fun

plus non instanced has the whole monsters pop up out of nowhere issue

Posted: Jul 25th 2010 8:19AM (Unverified) said

I've been playing Guild Wars since Prophecies came out and when GW 2 was announced I knew I had to play it. It's great that the Arenanet team is actively making an effort to show people what they're doing and tell us what they're working on.