Posted: Jul 15th 2010 2:03PM Jesse A said

This game looks really interesting. I've never played Guild Wars before though. Is there a reason for me to bother playing the original Guild Wars now with GW2 on the horizon?

Posted: Jul 15th 2010 2:54PM Mikx said

well, theres the story depending on how much you want the backstory before whats in GW2 and the book. That's mainly limited to the first 5-6 missions of prophecies and parts of eotn though. You can certainly see many locations that will be in gw2 in their old, ancient state.

Many of the classes and skills have general GW1 counterparts, (aside from the superb GW2 animations and effects) although the game mechanics of GW2 will be completely different.

You can also unlock GW2 content (I'm guessing cosmetic choices) from the Hall of Monuments in EOTN, but we don't really know anything about it, or how much there will be. If you go that route though, it will take a lot of time. The Hall of Monuments is more or less a place to show off high end achievements, although there are some exceptions.

Posted: Jul 15th 2010 2:39PM Nearly Departed said

I would highly recommend for anyone to buy any chapter of GW1, or all of them. I thing Amazon still has the complete set on sale for cheap.

An amazing story is unfolded in very memorable places, ask anyone who has been through pre-seering. I think playing GW2 will be very different game to those who have played GW1 than it will be for who never have.

Posted: Jul 15th 2010 2:47PM Tom in VA said

Novels based on games, in my experience, are usually a disappointment.

I am looking forward greatly to GW2; but as for the novels, not so much.

One of the things I liked about the original GW was that it told good stories by means of the game itself. That's pretty much going to be my approach to GW2.

Posted: Jul 15th 2010 6:29PM cray said

These novels have been co-written by the lore master Jeff Grubb. So your concerns are moot.

Posted: Jul 15th 2010 5:31PM Daemodand said

I wasn't looking at GW2 too closely, but now that I know Jeff Grubb is involved, I'm really impressed. The man's a major name in roleplaying games with contributions to major titles like AD&D under his belt. I'll have to keep an eye on this one.

Perfect Ten: My World of Warcraft launch memories