Posted: Jul 15th 2010 10:15AM TheJackman said

• Half a heart
If there are no mounts in Guild Wars 2 I not gonna buy it. For me riding a mount is part of the epic feeling to play a mmo! I already did take a big hit when they say that there will not be any pure healers/tanks....sure easy to make groups but more boring as well like everyone will be just dps and maybe missions will start to feel like a grind.

Posted: Jul 15th 2010 10:39AM kjhasdfjkhk said

Hey Jack, I think you're misinterpreting. They said they would not let Rangers ride their PETS. They never said there wouldn't be mounts.

And secondly, they said that there are no SPECIFIC tank/healing class. That's not to say there will be no tanks or healers. It will depend on how you spec. I assume most classes will have three skill trees, one to improve tanking (in the Rangers case, most likely making its pet into a tank), DPS and healing. That way, depending on how you spec your class, you can fill any role in the game. Some might be better than others, but the fact is, you CAN heal with a Ranger if you chose to. That makes it so "healing classes" aren't pigeon holed as the main healer and nothing else.

Posted: Jul 15th 2010 11:14AM Audacious said

Too much of anything is a bad thing. The sheer number of massive animals running around at the same speed in WoW is just ridiculous to watch. Those mammoths must have kneecaps of steel to dash as fast as they do without shattering their legs.

If they are mounts, I hope they're kept in moderation and move at a pace that doesn't look like something out of a Looney Tunes cartoon.

Posted: Jul 15th 2010 10:25AM (Unverified) said

Jack: well then you'll find that the plethora of MMO's using mounts and the holy trinity will suit you... But GW2's point is not that it's free, it's that it's an alternative to all the others which are essentialy the same games. And most are effing grindy too.
Also there won't be only DPS classes, but that all classes will have the option of support, damage or control (that's also wider and more interesting than flat out heal or tanking), roles that exist already in GW1, and guess what, all these roles are played.

Posted: Jul 15th 2010 10:47AM starchildren3317 said

I actually like the fact that they are thinking outside the box as far as the holy trinity goes. This will certainly breath life to MMOs. Although, I wouldn't want to see every MMO abandon the healer class, but having variety in the industry is a good thing.

As for the no mounts comment, perhaps I missed that in the article but I believe what was said was that rangers would not be able to ride their pets, not that there were no mounts in GW2.

Posted: Jul 15th 2010 10:51AM Bigwig said

basing whether or not you play a game based on one specific luxury item, well thats your coice. even if it does seem silly when the rest of the game looks pretty impressive.

Posted: Jul 15th 2010 11:46AM Kalex716 said

mounts stopped being cool and compelling in 2008.

Now they're just the norm and unless you are going to expand on the mount system in some interesting and unique NEW NEVER BEFORE SEEN ways, i could care less whether they're included at all or not.

Posted: Jul 15th 2010 11:46AM Minofan said

Nice interview, Rubi. ^_^

Congrats on drawing another skill reveal out of them!

Posted: Jul 15th 2010 12:36PM Dirame said

You guys didn't ask the main question many people want to know; are there still interrupts? I was expecting that question to be asked but you guys didn't deliver *cries*

Posted: Jul 21st 2010 9:31AM (Unverified) said

Dirame: The interrupt question was asking in an interview by GWitalia: http://www.gw2italia.it/sito/interviste
It's obiously in Italian though. Basically they said that they want to reduce the amount of skills requiring reaction times of

Posted: Jul 21st 2010 9:35AM (Unverified) said

I don't know why my comment was cut off there...

Posted: Jul 21st 2010 9:36AM (Unverified) said

I give up get a translation for yourself. This site is not very friendly to new users now is it?

Posted: Jul 15th 2010 3:00PM Tom in VA said

"The pet system sounds much more robust than the one in Guild Wars 1."

This comment set off my "understatement alarm bell". :)

The ranger pet system in the original game was abysmal, in my opinion, and was one of the (few) areas where WoW won out over GW1 hands down.

It sounds as though GW2 is catching up to WoW on the pet front -- kinda, sorta -- although I would have wished for something actually spiffier and BETTER, petwise, than what WoW currently offers. I'm at least satisfied that GW2 will have a ranger/hunter pet system that is is good as WoW's.

Make My MMO: October 19 - 25, 2014