Posted: Jul 14th 2010 4:25PM kasapina said

My first MMO ever was runescape. After a year full of fun, I started touring the f2p market, testing dozens of games in the course of 2 years. I spent a fair amount of time with Perfect World, Metin, Cabal, FLYFF, and a few others. Then I returned to runescape for quite a while, and I tried out WoW too. After that, I started reading massively, and that is actually when I opened to the p2p market, so a great amount of my experience is with f2p games. I do occasionally come back to some of them, runescape in particular.

I have a friend who has been playing ROSE online for 3 years. I am trying to open him up to other mmos (he doesn't know the genre at all, plus that game appears to have pretty much halted development), no success so far. He claims that WoW is "too popular, too nerdy", which is quite an irony, considering how long he spent playing a grind.

Posted: Jul 14th 2010 4:25PM (Unverified) said

I can't remember the first one I ever logged into, but the first one I played 'seriously' was Batmud, back in 1991.

Posted: Jul 14th 2010 4:32PM Dblade said

My first F2P game was Mabinogi. I played it about 4 months as I quit FFXI. After that I beta'd Metaplace and Earth Eternal, and played Ran Online and Neo Steam briefly. Currently now I'm playing a few OG planet games like La Tale to see how the F2P market is, and if it's changing in a good direction.

Mabinogi was fun, but it's problem is that once you get into midgame it slows down drastically. Raising a single skill from rank 4 to 3 can take all the SP from an entire rebirth, and the game itself isn't deep enough to make slow advancement fun. I haven't been tempted to go back.

I'm curious how big F2P really is though. La Tale is one of OG planet's more successful games, but it only has one server with 10 channels. Mabi had I think 4 servers with 4 channels each. They throw a lot of registered user numbers around though.

Posted: Jul 14th 2010 4:51PM (Unverified) said

My first F2P was knight online. It wasn't only my first F2P mmo, but my first mmo experience as well. Funny we don't hear more news about that game.

Posted: Jul 14th 2010 4:52PM Pingles said

My crazily busy schedule (good crazy) makes a subscription game a bad investment for me.

I've gone to free-to-play and have been disappointed a few times but keep finding new, slightly different implementations that catch my attention. I am enjoying several right now.

One thing about free-to-play: Try it as long as you like and even after quitting you can always reinstall and you will be playing your old toons without paying a cent.

Posted: Jul 14th 2010 5:14PM breezer said

I might be biased because it was the first F2P I played, and I got pretty hooked for almost a year, but I believe Nexon and Maple Story has a lot to do with the F2P craze.

Because it's not necessarily popular with the "typical" MMO crowd, It's easy for massively readers to overlook. But this game became massively popular, particularly with kids and young teens, very quickly. Nexon has raked in enormous amounts of money.

It's not a great game, but it obviously has its charm. It was my first f2p MMO, and despite flying under the radar (more or less), it's been very influential.

Posted: Jul 14th 2010 6:35PM LaughingTarget said

I can't remember what it was, but I have had a lot of negative reaction to free to play games. I would wander into the game, find a starting town brimmed to popping with characters sitting around in that bazaar mode, hawking crap that I could easily pick up by walking a foot out of town and beating on the nearest MOB. It took hours of whacking the nearest creature over and over again just to see a painfully slow creep of about 10% in the experience bar. There was always that point where if you tried to venture out to better prey, it was way too powerful to even attempt, anything less was a cakewalk that led to no rewards. The game just crashed and burned. I tried a few more over the years, and they all seemed to be the same routine. Grind away for no rewards, lose my own character in the crowd of trash merchants, and repeat.

It was only after DDO went F2P did I really find any kind of enjoyment in a game that didn't require a subscription. Basically, about two or three years of giving the F2P games a shot, particularly those developed on the Asian continent, has left a sour taste in my mouth. I'll play LOTRO when it goes F2P, but you can bet your last dollar that I will never, ever play an MMO developed in Korea again.

Posted: Jul 14th 2010 7:27PM Bhima said

First F2P game was Runes of Magic, because I was looking for something to kick the WoW habit. Now, I've come to just tour F2P games that have drastically different mechanics than WoW such as DFO or Battle of the Immortals. I see this model only gaining traction here in the US especially with the advent of LOTRO. If you want to game casually on the cheap, I can't see a better combo than LOTRO and GW2 when it comes out (not F2P but doesn't have a subscription model). Until then, I think I'll actually get some work done as I've let my WoW account freeze into oblivion.

Posted: Jul 14th 2010 9:57PM (Unverified) said

My first FPP game was Guild Wars which was OK. My second was DDO which was less than an OK experience. Why? Well .... I was a WOW player prior to picking up GW and DDO and less face it GW and DDO are not WOW, and heck they are not even close. The major issue I had is that I do not have a lot of time to play so what are you going to play? The game your paying for. Just sayin. Guild Wars was OK, but not exciting and DDO was not even close to being exciting. I am going to play more FPF games like LOTR and BSG but I will always play WOW. WOW rocks.

Posted: Jul 14th 2010 10:18PM Enikuo said

I don't remember my first free to play game, but I remember the experience. As soon as I logged in, I was inundated by scrolling RMT spam and I was surrounded by private shops. I logged out immediately and uninstalled. After a recent experience in a pay to play title that was riddled with RMT, I just wasn't up for that.

At the time, I had just started reading Rise & Shiny. In fact, I think the column had just started up. And, despite disagreeing with Beau on a few issues, I thought him and his readers couldn't be completely crazy - some of these games had to be fun or they wouldn't bother playing them. So, I stuck it out. I went through my fair share of stinkers, but found some real gems as well. Glad I didn't give up after that initial free to play experience.

Posted: Jul 15th 2010 3:20AM Hurbster said

I don't know whether it was FTP or one of those bonker Korean 'extended beta' deals but my first was Helbreath.

Yup, still scarred from that one.

Posted: Jul 15th 2010 5:57AM (Unverified) said

My first MMO was Allods Online! Yes, I'm new to MMORPGS, and I think I got a really good start with Allods. I got hooked, and have been looking at other MMOs too!

Posted: Jul 15th 2010 12:35PM Beau Hindman said

Thanks for all the comments, guys! It's interesting to hear some of the people that are newer to FTP games, and how some of them are enjoying themselves. Also, though, it;s interesting to see how the first impression really made an impact on some of you.

I can only encourage you to keep looking because there are some incredible FTP games out there, but it is true that there are just many, many more of them.

If we took PTP and asked "what percent of the market do you LOVE?" most players might say 10-30 percent or so? (Some more, some less.) If that's the same, (or more or less of course) for the FTP game market, and the numbers are in proportion, then there are going to be plenty of duds you find.

I like to peruse FTP websites and get to know other website community members. I get great emails from people, telling me about them. If you spend some time looking, you will find a great game I promise!

Beau

Posted: Jul 15th 2010 3:25PM Fakeassname said

I'm pretty sure that it was RF online that sparked the blaze.

that game was somewhat high profile when it was getting ready for code masters release but then flopped because lots of people didn't think it was worth the monthly fee (my self included).

when the F2P notice went out in late 2007 the game was literally mobbed by players who were curious about the game but not willing to pay monthly, yet when the servers closed down everyone scattered to the wind sowing the seeds of heard learned f2p lessons across the market.

over the past 3 years I have run into player after player who's avatar name I remember from that heroin habit of a game.