Posted: Jul 14th 2010 5:20PM Dumac said

Frogster again? A third company? Sigh. I must say I'm not thrilled by these kinds of deals where Europe gets a publisher with no direct relation to the developer. It makes me feel like Europe is "disconnected", unimportant in the whole thing, the third wheel, at the mercy of , etc... It was pretty bad with GOA, WAR saw a lower level of quality in almost every respect in Europe. I'd hate to see that again.

Posted: Jul 14th 2010 5:21PM Dumac said

*at the mercy of the publisher

Posted: Jul 14th 2010 5:26PM (Unverified) said

yeah bad news for us here i dont like frogster very much

Posted: Jul 14th 2010 5:38PM Kinau said

They let a below average publisher that traditionally dealt with F2P games handle an AAA title. Now, where coud this go WRONG?

Posted: Jul 14th 2010 6:08PM TheJackman said

Frogster? is this free to play? I pass them!

Posted: Jul 14th 2010 6:38PM Tovrin said

This game does look interesting, but after haven been disappointed by Korean grind game before, I'm very guarded. Aoin was such an utter disappointment (and in my opinion such a rubbish game after all that hype) that I'm see where the chips fall before diving in like that again.

Posted: Jul 14th 2010 6:14PM (Unverified) said

Can't say I'm really excited by the prospect of Frogster publishing TERA in Europe. As Dumac pointed out it makes me feel like Europe isn't of any real interest to these developers besides subscription fees. Especially when they let a F2P publisher handle this game.

Posted: Jul 14th 2010 6:24PM (Unverified) said

Agreed on the Frogster sentiments. Here in the US though, I think En Masse looks great - they seem to have a lot of autonomy, makes me really excited.

Posted: Jul 14th 2010 6:40PM (Unverified) said

frogster... no no no and NO! please for the love of god not frogster..

sigh... well looks like i will be grabbin the US version and setting up a vpn again

Posted: Jul 14th 2010 6:46PM wondersmith said

Given the game's Korean origin and that Frogster is known for F2P games, this news makes me wonder if TERA is actually switching their plan to a F2P business model. Yes, I know the TERA FAQ states, "Like other MMORPG titles, TERA will use a monthly subscription model with a retail box." But the times they are a-changing. My friends and I only play F2P games anymore, and we're not alone.

Posted: Jul 14th 2010 7:17PM Bhima said

I feel most people will be watching this game for the first few months of release rather than buying/playing it. After the Aion debacle and the competition heating up with SWTOR and GW2, it might be hard for TERA to gain some traction. But if its good, it will find its groove.

Posted: Jul 14th 2010 9:17PM (Unverified) said

Oh no, another title that might go F2P and water down a genre that has gone backwards, with a poor lauch title and very little follow up, unless the money follows.

F2P titles are facebook games with more polish.

I was kinda looking forward to this, still am to a point, but i am thinking that only SWTOR will be much good, as i didn't like the FF14 alpha/beta at all :(

Posted: Jul 14th 2010 9:46PM Somnicide said

@Univac: It is confirmed they are staying P2P. Thats official. Which is good. F2P games require just as much, if not more money to be competitive. I'd hate to see this game devolve into an item mall style and die.

@bhima: I dont disagree on the watching part, but I'm pretty sure SWTOR will have no bearing on its success. TOR is destined to be hyped beyond belief and then turn out to be exactly what it is, WoW in space. It will keep the star wars fans and the people who are done with the same old same old will move on. But, because of its retardedly enormous IP, it will do very well for itself.

GW2, in my opinion, is its only true competition.

Posted: Jul 14th 2010 11:41PM Valdur said

That's a 50 DKP minus...

Posted: Jul 15th 2010 4:39AM nearly nil said

The picture at the top shows a jet trail in the sky, odd.

Posted: Jul 15th 2010 7:54AM HackJack said

TERA F2P??????????????????? FFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...

Why, God? Why?

Posted: Jul 15th 2010 8:13AM (Unverified) said

"A smattering of everything, and a knowledge of nothing" is what comes to mind here first.

Frogster clearly stated in their press release the game will be subscription based in Europe as well.

And no, Frogster never was a pure F2P publisher only because their biggest success is a F2P MMO with an item mall.
They still have a Bounty Bay Online (in NA known as Voyage Century) server running with subscription fees alongside the BBO F2P servers.

Make My MMO: December 14 - 20, 2014