Posted: Jul 12th 2010 6:21PM MrsAngelD said

I hope the do offer the lifer option again, I would love to get me hands on it.

Posted: Jul 12th 2010 6:24PM tehlexicon said

I have played WoW, EQ2, AoC, WAR, and a lot of other MMO's on the market. This is the only game that managed to tear me away from the crack that is WoW. I still go back to WoW to check the new expansion packs, but LOTRO is a much better game over all. I even like the PvMP play a lot better than the instanced stuff most other games use.

Posted: Jul 12th 2010 10:19PM ScottishViking said

I understand that they want to focus on the PvE element of the game for the F2P crowd, but honestly, PvMP would be a HUGE draw for that crowd, and would attract a lot of people over to VIP if they had a taste. I am eager to have the F2P crowd in PvMP as it is, as far as I can see, the "last hope" for LOTRO's poor, neglected PvP. I hope they will come back to this sooner rather than later.

Posted: Jul 13th 2010 4:56AM Dread said

LotRO is the game I always 'go back to'. I always keep an active sub even if I am playing something else. I'd grab a Lifetime if my missus would let me :p

Posted: Jul 13th 2010 2:35PM (Unverified) said

For those of you that do not know Gamasutra, it is a magazine for gamedevelopers (and people interested in game development) and it has been arround for more than a decade.
I am one of those that are still very sceptical of LOTROs move to F2P and I recently read an article on Gamasutra that brings some very relevant points to the discussion:

Mind you, this article was written by a game developer for other game developers (mostly) and not for gamers. So his perspective should be worth noting.

Posted: Jul 13th 2010 3:43PM karnisov said

i doubt lotro will ever stoop to the level of the chinese f2p games used as examples in that article.

i would even go so far as to say chinese gamers are more willing to play badly balanced f2p titles than a western player because they lack a videogame culture with an appreciable amount of history behind it. japan and the west have been exposed to a large number of high quality titles on multiple platforms since the 80s and their perspectives have been molded accordingly.

in summary, what works in china wouldn't work over here. but we already kind of knew that from how often korean titles flop in the states.

Posted: Jul 13th 2010 4:27PM (Unverified) said

I wished I had your optimism Wolf. If Turbine can have a large chunk of the chinese market, why even bother with the west? China is a much larger market.

Posted: Jul 13th 2010 5:12PM karnisov said

did WoW in china have a horrifically unbalanced cash shop? i don't seem to remember any mention of that. of course WoW wasn't f2p, but it wasn't exactly a subscription model in china either. i think it was pay by the hour for most people who played from net cafes.

just because they're operating in china doesn't mean they will lower themselves to the same low standard other operators have. they might use game balance as something to make themselves stand out from the rest of the crowd.

and if they don't bother with game balance lotro china will still have seperate servers and cash shops. noone says the western and chinese cash shops have to be identical. imbalance could stay compartmentalized if it does happen.

i think the concerns of drop in community quality is much more applicable to lotro than anything. yes the community quality will probably take a hit, and people who say otherwise are lying to you. having played both sub and f2p games i know there is a large difference in community quality.

Global Chat: Doom and WAAAGH!

Posted on Jul 22nd 2014 8:00PM