Posted: Jul 12th 2010 3:16PM vicryixiv said

Trooper looks awesome. Probably will be my first or second class.

One question though: Why do people think the SWTOR troopers are clones? It doesnt say that anywhere in the official site and i think we only see one guy's face without a helmet in Hope.

Posted: Jul 12th 2010 3:18PM Larry Everett said

I have no idea, but I believe it does have to do with that trooper commander looking like Jango Fett. I figured it best to dissuade the idea that clones are no fun anyway.

Posted: Jul 12th 2010 3:19PM DevilSei said

Was about to say that. Besides, during the Multiplayer demo we saw a Mon Calamari Trooper, so unless Jango Fett traveled back in time thousands of thousands of years, gave them DNA, and also said "Go ahead, make me a Mon Calamari one too", these aren't clones, and how anyone got the idea must of been smoking a little Mary J.

That, or the people who think that Trooper must = Clone, has little, if any, clue about this game.

Posted: Jul 12th 2010 3:29PM Daverator said

I think you will have to forgive people. SW has MANY timelines, and the fact that these troopers in white armor shift from being be good guys, or good guys working for the bad guys, or the strait up bad guys, can lead people to confusion.

Posted: Jul 12th 2010 3:34PM Larry Everett said

What's confusing? They're all in white, they all are faceless, their armor all looks similar, and without a helmet they look like Temuera Morrison. I don't see the confusion at all :-D

Posted: Jul 12th 2010 3:17PM Daverator said

As for how to role play a clone, the easiest way is to say there was a defect, an error in the cloning process.

Also part of what defines a person is their background, the other is what they encounter. So while you might have been identical to someone at one point, something as subtle as being in a different unit in a battle you both participated in might have changed your views.

Posted: Jul 12th 2010 3:20PM (Unverified) said

Ive already decided on playing trooper after seeing the Hope Of Alderaan trailer.

Posted: Jul 12th 2010 3:34PM Greeen said

one can say whatever about the clone-wars series, but if they show anything, then it is that clones are not just clones, and that they do have personality.

Posted: Jul 12th 2010 4:23PM Brianna Royce said

So totally agree. I love that little series. It's surprisingly sophisticated for a "kid's show," particularly this past season. And it totally convinced me that the clone troopers would be fun to RP. Each has a unique and separate identity, personality, speciality, history, and so on. They might have started out as physical clones, but even with training, they're not truly identical, any more than would be naturally born twins.

The episode in which Boba infiltrated a group of young troopers on a "field trip" even showed just how early those personalities flare.

Posted: Jul 12th 2010 4:18PM Aquaryon said

You are so right. The Clone Wars series is soo frakkin unjoyable its sick, its ungodly better then the prequels. I absolutely love it. I can't wait for Season 3!

Posted: Jul 12th 2010 4:19PM Aquaryon said

err enjoyable... not unjoyable... yup that makes no sense! lol

Posted: Jul 12th 2010 4:01PM BaronJuJu said

Excellent article Larry, I really enjoyed the depth you got into with the Empire Trooper and Agent classes. I learned a few new things about the empire through it. As much as loved the latest Trooper combat video I would have to go with the Agent. I love the idea of sneaking behind enemy lines, dirty deals with the Hutts and doing every underhanded thing to win for the Empire.

Posted: Jul 12th 2010 4:35PM Nickelpat said

I don't the troopers in TOR are clones. If I am correct cloning wasn't too popular back then. And, as Devilsai said, we have a Mon Calmarian :P

Clones themselves could actually develop personalities though. They are loyalty-bound, but they also have the same brain as any other human and they weren't programmed to not have a personalty. Looking at the Republic Commando game and Travis' novels to see a lot of clones with personalties. The Clone Wars is a good example too, they also have vastly different personalities.

When I play TOR, I will probably start with a trooper, it's not a character I've ever RPed before (I did RP a character or used to fight with the military, but then deserted and became a merc) but I look forward to it. And I just love that armor style.

Posted: Jul 12th 2010 4:42PM (Unverified) said

Agent all the way. I'm betting it will be the least played class.

Posted: Jul 12th 2010 8:52PM Lateris said

I am going Agent as well. Then bounty hunter.

Posted: Jul 12th 2010 6:02PM (Unverified) said

My real issue with the Trooper is hero envy. From the video the troopers seem weak and idiotic.

Rushing in with a grenade instead of firing a laserblaster part takes the cake. At least if the class was Commando or some highly skilled unit, I could get behind it.

I'm sure some of the skills appeal to others but Trooper preview skills so far are pretty lackluster to me. I'd rather be jetpacking around firing salvos of rockets and napalming from my wrist like some freak version of spiderman.

I just perceive the trooper as pvt. generic_002. I don't think I'll be rolling the "red shirt of star wars"

Posted: Jul 13th 2010 8:58AM Daverator said

CG scenes are what MMOs are balanced around.

Posted: Jul 12th 2010 6:35PM claytondora said

The discussion of how to play a clone in this scenario is moot, there were no clone soldiers in this era. Pre-separatists, the republic conscripted its soldiers. No one solider will be identical to another. Problem solved.

Posted: Jul 12th 2010 10:14PM (Unverified) said

I was kind of hoping troopers would be a ranged class. Early on it look like they would be using ranged weapons and grenades for ranged dps. But now it seems they will be the main tanks. I will probably skip them.

But more to the topic, role playing a clone should not be difficult, you should be injecting a little bit of yourself in there anyway.. right?

Posted: Jul 12th 2010 10:38PM (Unverified) said

Each class is going to have two viable options. Troopers are going to be ranged dps and ranged tank.