Posted: Jul 12th 2010 4:40PM (Unverified) said

The poor GMs....and its a lie that there's no mass exodus. Its been a week now and my guild's attendance is down 50%. We went from 34 concurrent players on at all times to 16 or less. WIth the new out rageous daily mechanics at end game for heroics half the time we're not even able to form up enough groups for everyone.

Hopefully they are atleast admitting th eproblem internally and are working on solutions to ease up the lack of ability for most players to participate in end game. Or atleast do something that gets some of the players waiting in the wings to come back.

Posted: Jul 12th 2010 5:25PM UnknownUser said

That's for certain. You can go into a capital city and see it. Unless everyone is out in the field, there are fewer people around. The Holy Lands were equally deserted.

I played through the newbie Allod on the Tenses League side earlier this week to see if there were many changes (just the first level patronage quest). I've done this isle many, many times in the past, and it's never been a problem to get a Damned Soul group together and there's always been a line for the big cat, Mila's escort quest and enough people picking plantains to make finding them slow. This time, a raid for Damned Soul would have been impossible (thankfully there are some level 10+ folks who hang out on the Allod for some reason), there was no wait for Mila or the cat and plantains were plentiful.

This was several days after the patch, but I'm sure patching kept a few people out. This was actually the first patch that I didn't get the corrupted file bug....but I did have to restart the installer three or four times when it just stopped receiving. Still, even with all of the hassles, there should have been more people there.

Posted: Jul 12th 2010 4:51PM Pingles said

I'll admit that as a longtime, very vocal supporter of Allods the last patch is a tough one for me.

Posted: Jul 12th 2010 4:58PM kazamxi said

"Darren: There's no XP increase, though there is a increase of XP required to level especially when scaled between levels 40 to 41 to 42. Also, I cannot confirm that their is a DPS nerf."

GMs have been banned by someone from admitting their has even been a nerf to DPS. Thats interesting.

Posted: Jul 12th 2010 5:29PM (Unverified) said

Interesting, but maybe not surprising.

This was a long-planned and very visible PR opportunity, and it would be silly of them not to try to attract as much positive attention and new players as possible. I'm convinced that the staff was well prepared for the questions: as with every patch up until this one, there have been people with concerns.

I am still dissatisfied with how blatant the exaggerations and out-right the intellectual dishonesty was. I was expecting to see a few lies, but I thought they'd at least be eloquent and ambiguous ones. The official forums had a field day with this.

Posted: Jul 12th 2010 5:45PM (Unverified) said

Summary:

They avoided answering all the relevant questions, and refused to confirm all the worst fears of the players which have all been posted on the forums for days and days.

They have 1 or maybe 2 humans banning gold spammers. In other words, they will perpetually be entirely ineffective at combating the problem in any meaningful way.

They are entirely powerless to effect any real change in the game. At best they're greedy puppets for setting the cash shop prices at their insane levels.

Darren Allarde spins every question with the grace of a baptist preacher and the guile of a politician. Seriously dude, you need to reach out for the oval office. You missed your calling.

Here's a question you didn't hear asked: "Why has every patch since beta reduced the fun of the game and caused you to lose more players?" Spin that one, Darren.

You have lost 90% of your customers since "launch". And don't insult your customers by saying "We haven't launched, it's still in Beta!" Or were you holding that 'spin' in reserve until the last minute?

There was a DPS nerf.
This patch is the worst yet.
You are absolutely HEMORRHAGING customers.
And you make jokes during the interview like everything is fine and wonderful.

Your financial support must be loving the jokes as you lose them all their money. Good work! Keep at it! You've almost completely destroyed any chance of ever showing positive cash flow.

"
"

QFT.

Posted: Jul 12th 2010 5:37PM (Unverified) said

Wow...Lieing right in Massively's face..
Is there a Mass Exodus? YES!
My ENTIRE GUILD QUIT recently as a matter of fact due to this nonsense as well as several dozen friends I had made in game. 1.1.0 is the DEATH of Allods Online

They're spoon feeding everyone a TOTAL lie about the state of the game.
YES you are forced to PAY essentially to Play otherwise the game is about as fun as driving a nail through your hand.

Shame on gPotato and ESPECIALLY Astrum Nival for not being forthcoming and trying to pull the wool over more eyes.

Posted: Jul 12th 2010 5:51PM Xtofer said

I just started to play this game a couple days ago and I'm surprised at how polished and smooth the experience has been for a free-to-play game. Very nice, indeed. So I'm unclear on what the talk about this "cursed items" feature is.

Does it mean that items break or something? Can you fix them? Do you have to pay money to fix it? Or is this permanent and you have to farm said item again?

Again, the game seems nice at the beginning at least. Is there a huge climb to the end game or something?

Also, was the constant misspelling of "there" in this article intended? XD

Posted: Jul 12th 2010 6:02PM (Unverified) said

The game engine itself and alot of its features are very polished and well thought-out. The issue we are seeing here is with the current patch and some of the mechanics included.

You can visit the official forums for more in-depth info, but a brief run down: Mob stats increased after ~20 to end game, xp cost to level increased dramatically after ~20-30, several popular skills and items removed from the game (although the items can still be purchased for real world money in the Cash Shop), introduction of a death penalty that can only be negated/avoided by purchasing items with real world money from the Cash Shop, introduction of a permanent debuff to all players that can be temporarily negated by purchasing items with real world money from the Cash Shop...

(Note: many Cash Shop items can be purchased by one player and put on the in-game auction house for other players to buy using IN-game money, but so far the markup has been outside the reach of many players.)

There's another point or two of contention, but I think you can get the overall flavor of discontent. Still, if you're having having fun, I encourage you to stick with it and form your own opinions.

Posted: Jul 12th 2010 6:05PM (Unverified) said

It's not about how polished and smooth the game is. It's never been about that.
This is how things go.

Up to level 20, everything is rainbows, clouds, unicorns and butterflies.

After level, around 23-25, the game changes into a one-shot-you're-dead PvP gankfest with hacked Allods client youtube videos and paying real life money every time you die. Well, it was at least while people still played the game. Which they don't ... now.

So, if you want some free advice, Xtofer, uninstall now and go do something more productive, like watching grass grow or watching paint dry.

Posted: Jul 12th 2010 6:55PM Pingles said

Concerning game polish: Allods is a GREAT game. They have tweaked enough things to make it taste quite different in the long run than most MMOs and level design and quests are great. I love it.

That is why so many folks are in an uproar. Because people care about this game.

Concerning CURSED items: When you die your rare (blue) or higher gear has a chance to be cursed, making all of it's stats negative. Rate is reported at about 10%.

To "cure" the curse you can buy an item in the cash shop. You can also buy another cash shop item that acts like curse insurance.

Posted: Jul 12th 2010 6:21PM (Unverified) said

Lies and misdirection.

It was obvious months ago that these are baaaaaad people.

Shame, if they had introduced a "free from level 1-15 and pay 15$/month after that" option I would still be paying to play it. Instead, they just continually introduce pay barriers to play, that (when last I looked) add up to >15$/month for people who play more than 20 hours a week.

Posted: Jul 12th 2010 7:25PM (Unverified) said

I can not help but shake my head in and sigh a bit. I left the game early on when the first issues with the cash shop bag price became apparent even though eventually that was fix I was aware as were many others of this particular patch even then.

It is a shame that some decide to TRUST gpotato and and the producers of that game that they would never release this patch in it current russian form ever. But quite a few months later here we are with a slightly modified version that has just about all the bad that was in the russian version hitting the English servers.

I can't help but wonder why anyone though that they could trust gpotato to actually try and do the right thing to keep customers? Sadly I saw it coming early on and I didn't waste my time in that what some would consider nightmare scenario right now. Well either way I wish those that are still playing luck but don't say you were not warned ages ago. >

Posted: Jul 12th 2010 8:20PM Pingles said

"I can't help but wonder why anyone though that they could trust gpotato to actually try and do the right thing to keep customers?"

Because very few companies will try to scare away all of their customers.

I get the feeling that Allods' investors made very strict return-on-investment demands and they had to scramble to figure out how to collect that kind of dough.

Allods has attempted a new free-to-play model: Make EVERYONE pay. No matter how good the game (I've stated above, I think it's a GREAT game) I don't think they can do it.

When (if) it self-destructs I sincerely hope they will shut down, restructure and relaunch in a traditional free-to-play model: Fancy suits, sparkly mounts and shiny houses for rich players.

Posted: Jul 12th 2010 8:47PM (Unverified) said

Mr. Allarde's interview on the Massively podcast a couple months ago, was one of the squirmy-wormiest interviews I have ever heard in my life, and I'm an old fart, so I've heard a lot of them.

Make My MMO: November 16 - 22, 2014