Posted: Jul 11th 2010 5:58PM (Unverified) said

There are a lot of negative things that I can say about this game, and believe me, I'm going to say them. But behind the things that went wrong in creating this game, there actually lies a rather fun and entertaining experience that's possibly worth giving a try.

Combat can be very laggy at times, especially with a couple other people fighting alongside you. This is already annoying, but what's worse is that the lag sometimes causes you to activate an ability which never goes off. However, you still trigger the cooldown, so it's frustrating to watch your damage drop off because you keep losing chances to cast your spells.

I also faced at least one very strange server disconnection, in which it kicked me off and told me that I couldn't log in for 60 seconds. Then when I tried to log in again, it told me that I was kicked for ToS violations, and then it let me in. I have no idea what actually happened there, since I definitely wasn't doing anything abnormal in game at that time or at any time before.

The number of abilities you get is small, but the class structure is kind of interesting. You can buy and equip other classes, each which have their own rank that increases as you use them but is independent of your character's level. There also seem to be "advanced" versions of the basic classes, but they are restricted to paying members from what I can tell.

Speaking of that, there's a lot of stuff restricted to upgraded accounts (paying members), and it's not always clear what. The weapon and armor enhancement system was not well-explained at all in the game and I couldn't get it to work. At least part of it seems to be for upgraded accounts only, but other parts just seemed to not do anything when I clicked the button. Some of the quests that I came across were also upgraded account-only.

Despite all this, it was fun to roam around and take down enemies for the quests, especially in a group. The story quests seemed superficial and oriented at kids at first, but there is some hidden depth. I noticed a reference to George Orwell's 1984 in one story quest, where a prisoner is facing down a rat and screaming "Do it to Julia instead!"

Ultimately, there's a lot of potential here that is dampened by the lag and poorly explained mechanics. Moving around the world is unnecessarily confusing, and grouping up can be hard due to incredibly small limits on the number of players in an area. But if you can get past all that, you'll find an enjoyable little game that's worth at least giving a shot.

The verdict? I don't see myself coming back to this often, but if I hear about interesting updates coming along I'll drop in and check it out. There's a certain charm that makes it fun even though it's not worthy of a spot near my top games.

Posted: Jul 11th 2010 6:27PM Bhagpuss said

I'm ahead of you for once! I didn't try AdventureQuest Worlds but I have already played Mytheon. In fact, I downloaded it last night after reading a review of it and I have played it twice, for a total of about 3 hours.

My snap verdict - it's not really an MMO but it's a very good game. I thoroughly enjoyed it and will be playing it in short bursts for the foreseeable future. Graphics are excellent, it's AAA slick and it's a lot of fun. For my tastes it's much too "gamey" to play regularly, since I am in no way a gamer, but it it's really top-drawer for F2P.

For an action RPG (a genre I really, really struggle with) it's engagingly slow in pace. There's a LOT of text to read, fairly well written. I spotted some grammar errors but even though it's allegedly Beta i couldn;t find a Bug command to report them. It's extremely heavy on Greek mythology, to the point of obsessiveness I'd say, but I can't fault a game for being educational.

I'd give it 4 stars out of 5.

Posted: Jul 11th 2010 8:21PM WeirdJedi said

I remember this game. It used to be called Battle-On back when I was in high school. This game went through a lot of changes, but I can't help but sense that "premium payment" barrier. It was fun running around by yourself and talking with people, but eventually (when it became Adventure Quest) the servers would say "I'm sorry, we are full" and I could never get on. I realized this was sort of a scam when the number of maximum players allowed on always changed. I probably was able to log in 10% of the time.

I was so frustrated with the game that I didn't want to come back. Sort of like Runescape. It was free, it was young, it was online, and once you were finished you wouldn't want to come back. I do like hearing about the changes, but I guess there are still problems with the game.

Posted: Jul 12th 2010 4:23AM (Unverified) said

Actually Battleon =/= AQW.

Battleon is still up and running (and even more hard to log in)

Battleon/Dragonfable/mechquest are more of rpg(minusthe "mmo-" part), while AQW is truer to the term of mmorpg as lots of players share the scenes with you, even creating sort of persistent-world-illusion.

Posted: Jul 12th 2010 6:31AM kasapina said

As the above reader mentioned, battleon/Adventure Quest is not even an mmo. You have obviously played it a loong time ago, since you mentioned "running around talking with people", which was never possible in that game - first, you can't run around there, you teleport from one place to the next, and second, you can't see the other players. It's pretty much a graphical single player MUD. The biggest interaction with other players possible is during wars, when the entire playerbase has to kill, for example, 1 million monsters, and everyone's kills are added to one total. Not much of an interaction, eh?

Posted: Jul 11th 2010 8:43PM Beau Hindman said

Yeh the server issues were sort of nuts sometimes. I am curious if the developers success has made it difficult to keep up. A catch-22: your success makes is hard to keep the servers running smooth! lol

Beau