Posted: Jul 10th 2010 1:14PM (Unverified) said

Very good article.

I completely agree about how the lab handles things that are promised. It does seem like it takes them forever. I'm still waiting for the dynamic shadow implimentation to occur. So far it is more of a buggy hack than anything else. In my SL experience, I want better performance and just a little more eye candy. I'm not that greedy...

_________________
Little Lost Linden

Posted: Jul 10th 2010 6:26PM (Unverified) said

@Little - I am always mystified at the Lab's reluctance to bring in code from the third party viewers. I have pretty much gone over to using Kirstens full time. It has it's SL2 type annoyances that impede work but the fact is that viewer is a "game changer" for anyone willing to upgrade to a modern day video card (nVidia GT2xx or higher). You can see a little in the latest vids I posted at http://www.youtube.com/user/annotoole .

I would really be disappointed if LL threw in the towel on this thing right now but it just seems like LL has issues with getting things done. Whether it is the people doing the work that can't deliver or they are hobbled by management that is trying to drive SL into the ground or what I don't know. But the search fiasco *IS* what is causing the steady decline of SL because businesses are closing and people are heartbroken and leaving because LL just doesn't care and they have made it clear as day through Sea Linden's arrogance that shows in blog posts and the LL staff responses to concerns. If LL wants to improve SL they need to get rid of the search team and hire a consulting firm that knows what they are doing and listen to the consultants if the consultants inform them that GSA is not suitable for Second Life. For now we at least still have the places search which does, in fact, work and is not busily deleting locations from search as the GSA is doing. I mean removing locations. not just "deranked" Gone. No longer there at all. Or, as some suspect, there is intentional code involved. What is really odd is that these issues pertain only to certain businesses that involve certain keywords and not other keywords that the new search is vastly improved for. Something is wrong. And either the management of LL is behind it or the management of LL needs to bring in external assistance and allow them to correct it.

And it would greatly improve the outlook if LL demonstrated they were working on something because right now it just looks like they are treading water and slowly scaling everything back as the place is prepped for closing. LL needs to return to it's core success factors or sell it to someone that cares and wants an entertainment business niche sector cash cow that can support a bunch of happy employees and millions of happy players. And grow along those lines instead of getting upset because they didn't produce a tech bubble to bail out of before it pops. Which is probably all the investors care about.

What really bugs me is Microsoft Kinect. SL needs that technology. Big time. Literally building with your hands? Yea. Total game changer. Sadly SL is not on xbox. Will someone else produce the equivalent of Kinect for the PC/Mac/Linux? We can only hope. Those investors need to be working on that. I'd love to help with such an effort myself.

Posted: Jul 10th 2010 7:39PM (Unverified) said

"@Little - I am always mystified at the Lab's reluctance to bring in code from the third party viewers. I have pretty much gone over to using Kirstens full time. It has it's SL2 type annoyances that impede work but the fact is that viewer is a "game changer" for anyone willing to upgrade to a modern day video card (nVidia GT2xx or higher)."

Yeah, I'm hoping to try it out again this weekend. It's been over 6 months since I've last tried that viewer and that was before my last video card upgrade which is to an ATI HD5850.

I know that SL usually likes Nvidia cards more but I've alway had ATI because their multi-display options were optimal for the longest time.

I hope that SL is improved for use with ATI cards.

I understand the shadows in Kirstens viewer are optimal so I will try them out and see how it goes, hopefully by now the ATI issues are worked out. We've been waiting so long for Linden Lab to improve the graphics but apparently 3rd party is the only way to go at the moment.

Posted: Jul 10th 2010 9:05PM (Unverified) said

No other company has managed to build anything quite like Second Life.

Because of that, people angry with Linden Lab can't just switch to a competitor, because for most people, there is no competitor. So instead of leaving (which they can't), they stick around and complain that Feature 1,832,832 hasn't been implemented yet.

I sincerely hope for an SL competitor (a real one). Then all the bloviating bumblegrumps can go there.

Posted: Jul 11th 2010 7:13AM Joystiq Login Bugs SUCK said

I looked and looed Tateru but could find naught about the Openspace Sim clawback that Jack did whilst Kat rudely munched on her popcorn.

I know many people were burnt by that action, for me it was the last staw.

Maybe you did put it there, my eyes are getting worse unfortunately as time moves on.

Posted: Jul 11th 2010 8:05AM (Unverified) said

It was one of more than a hundred things in my notes that I didn't have space for. Some got cut in editing, some I knew I wouldn't have the space to include. SLRFL, SLCC, Burning Life, Windlight, openspaces (a mile of stuff on that), some lawsuits, the degradation of region-crossings, SL views, several group IM disasters, group limits, dozens of policies, a lot of major education and corporate stuff that did a lot to shape events... the list goes on.

Many of the things that *did* make it in really deserved a fuller treatment than they got. All in all, I'd say that a decent *summary* of SL history would run between 1 and 2 million words - far more wordage than I can manage here.

Posted: Jul 11th 2010 8:26AM Joystiq Login Bugs SUCK said

You can do it!

xD

Posted: Jul 11th 2010 5:27PM (Unverified) said

Why don't you make a book and release it as PDF or somthing? I think there is some services out there that will print and ship books on demand so people that want a hardcopy will pay some money and you and the printing service will profit :)

Posted: Jul 15th 2010 9:56AM (Unverified) said

When they started grandfathering/reducing tier for “preferred” oldies, and large estate owners they sealed Second Life’s fate. No one is going to invest in a business environment where their competitors are getting a minimum 33.3% advantage on tier. It’s that simple. Most people aren’t idiots. Why invest your hard earned RL money into a heavily manipulated and pyramid scheme like business environment. As long as unknowing noobs kept coming in this plan worked. Most people know now… Equalize tier for everyone and LL may pull out of the nose dive. Keep kowtowing to the 1% of folks who benefit from this and LL/SL is doomed. The greed of the 1% is what finished off LL/SL for good. ; )_~~~