Posted: Jul 10th 2010 2:42PM (Unverified) said

SantaduJuan.

I understand that there is a story to most MMO's. But Bioware wants to take that story a step further. And yeah there will be kill x amount of people. But the idea is making a game that is like ME and DA:O and making that game into a multiplayer game. So it seems more cinematic and immersive. I think even a dev said to think of this game like playing Kotor III,IV,V, and VI due to the amount of story being put into the game. I dunno I don't really want to argue I just want to stress that this game is trying to deliver something a lil different then other MMO's that they are trying to get you even more into the games story so you don't just skip the quest dialogue.

Posted: Jul 10th 2010 2:42PM CCon99 said

"It is an RPG that at the speed and pace that I play RPGs as a gamer, five or ten hours a week, I could never finish this game,"

Someone send that man the memo that most MMO gamers have no lives and play more than 5-10 hours each day! =P

Posted: Jul 10th 2010 2:45PM (Unverified) said

I know right lol.

Personally when i was completely involved in WoW. I was putting in more time then a full time job. Which will probably happen with this game. Which means we definitely can beat the game and they better be prepared to launch expansions at least yearly with content patches in between like WoW does.

Posted: Jul 10th 2010 2:49PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
Just thought about it but they better not release this till its done as well. I remember wanting to play Star Trek Online and it shipping with missing content and people were admirals with in a week or 2 . I still haven't played it as i'm waiting for it to grow and get some more content and settle in.

Posted: Jul 10th 2010 5:12PM (Unverified) said

Their point is that they aren't going to let hardcores and powergamers dictate the direction of the game or set it's pace. They have a set target audience and one that they know likes to take it's time and who don't want their lives sucked away by a game.

Posted: Jul 10th 2010 5:57PM Dblade said

Yeah, I'd believe that except that this is a heavily hyped MMO in an IP that is still smarting over what SOE did, and fans are drooling over. If you think the target audience are only going to play it less than ten hours a week, I have a bridge to sell you.

Posted: Jul 10th 2010 2:50PM (Unverified) said

Daniel, it damn well better be all of that, or you're gonna be buried in internet RAAAAAAGE!!!!

Posted: Jul 10th 2010 3:01PM (Unverified) said

lol newbs call sonic dark brotherhood a bad game because newbs assume it was bad bc it is the sonic franchise. sonic dark brotherhood got pretty solid ratings as a children's RPG.

before you bash a game you never played, take your foot out of your mouth.

Posted: Jul 10th 2010 5:49PM Dblade said

I played it, actually. I don't think I would have mentioned if I hadn't, it's a pretty obscure game even on the DS. But for DS games it was a huge disappointment, especially the combat system. Having to tap 8 points on the screen perfectly for every single attack with some of the characters like Tails made battles the worst I've seen in a long time.

Even for a kid's rpg it's pretty bad.

Posted: Jul 10th 2010 3:07PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
It sounds very thrilling, but there is just one teensy-tiny problem.

They want to give story and depth to poopsockers. Rate me down all you want, but you know it's true. The MMO crowd has a huge attention deficit problem. These are the types of people who are willing to grind the same shitty dungeon 20 times for a pair of boots. They get confused and angry if you offer them anything beyond "kill 10 rats". They don't want story and depth, they want their carrot on a stick.

I predict that this will be a niche game. It will do fairly well with it's own crowd (do kids even like Star Wars these days? I know I find it irrelevant.), but I'm not seeing it going gold.

Posted: Jul 10th 2010 10:15PM (Unverified) said

I wouldn't be so sure of that. If I remember my literature right, casual gamers are the number 1 players of MMOs, beating out the more hardcore players in most MMOs. The trend in the industry, outside of niche titles like EVE, has been simplification of grind-y elements and reduction in barriers to content. More questing, more quest rewards, smaller raids, smaller dungeons, fewer players in raids. The days of poopsocking are largely over with.

The question is, however, will these casual players want interaction? Or are they looking for a short diversionary experience devoid of decision making? I don't really know, although I have a nagging suspicion that its the latter. In which case, TOR may be a niche title instead of the next big MMO.

Posted: Jul 10th 2010 3:16PM (Unverified) said

It's ridiculous how many people that were excited about this game now ridicule it. It's like people that say "Banana Fist Punch is my favorite band", then when they get popular, it's "Banana Fist Punch are sellout losers." On one side you have people that love WoW who hate it because it's not WoW enough, and then the hardcore gamers who want to pretend that nothing's cool unless the combat system is completely "innovative", aka "no skill bar" which rarely works out therefore killing a game.

This is not a single player game. I don't know why that keeps being brought up. While you can solo much of the content if you choose, everything can and should be done in groups. Sure this isn't the mythical "KOTOR 3", but what everyone seems to be missing, is that this is KOTOR, but with your friends! And I don't know about you, but that alone is amazing. I can't tell you how many times my buddy would be watching me play KOTOR, or vice versa, and we'd say "dang, wish I was in there to help." And now we can.

Some things are instanced, yes, but all reviews point out that shifting into instanced moments is seamless, which should reduce the sensation that this game is as blocked off as AoC felt. Also, what's wrong with an instanced quest? It saves you the trouble of trying to finish up a quest without some guy named "D@rthJimmyHat" griefing you by pulling your mobs, then loling off into the sunset.

Erickson pointed out in the CVG interview that the community feeling would be there, along with comparing gear which is what everyone secretly loves, don't lie. Everyone at some point posted up in Stormwind by the fountain when they got their new PVP weapon glowing on their back.

Bioware understands what an MMO needs, and is giving it to us. I just don't understand this new hostility.

Posted: Jul 10th 2010 4:03PM (Unverified) said

Welcome to the internet. Around here, you'll find creatures called Trolls. They prey on popular subjects and hype, and feed on the nerd rage of the unwary. You can tell when they're around by the so called popular opinion running opposite to what you would expect.

Posted: Jul 10th 2010 6:06PM Dblade said

The game is starting to narrow down. At first, everyone was excited because they knew little about it. As it takes definite shape people will become unhappy. Works for anything, really.

I'm not sure though why everyone keeps assuming Bioware automatically means success. Any company working outside of its genre can stumble, and MMOs are the most complex and difficult to make game that can exist.

Posted: Jul 10th 2010 3:45PM Sunlover said

I like the sound of an MMO game that is a story driven RPG that I can play with friends or continue to enjoy alone when my friends or guildies aren't around. I also like the idea that this game has plenty of story driven content and is not another Dungeon/Instance/Raid/Gear-Driven epeen comparison fest. I love that Bioware know who their target audience is going to be and that Mr. Erickson said quite plainly to those Disneylanders, "this probably isn't your favorite MMO." Good. Brilliant. WoW's got your Disneyland experience covered. No disrespect to WoW or Blizz, but why should they make another soulless, silly, ride-on-rails, race to end game, world first competition? I, for one, and many like myself, could care absolutely zero about your video game world first. I have a rich social life that takes precedence over any quest to make larger and compare epeen length. Let me know when you world first cure cancer, then I'll be impressed.

TOR sounds like a rich, lengthy, persistent/ongoing, story heavy online game that will be a great place to get together with friends and family and actually enjoy the game and all of its excellent lore, art, quests/missions, worlds, and (hopefully) community with. Add a dash of pvp for fun, friendly competition, and some interesting character progression and I'm all in.

I loved Mass Effect, and even thought that if they just took Dragon Age and made it an MMO, I probably wouldn't even need another game ever again. I'm happy to see Bioware is doing what they do best. Anyone who expected them to do anything other than what they have revealed obviously does not know Bioware. I like what I'm seeing and hearing and I really don't understand all of the complaining, assuming, whining, and all around negativity from so many people all over the web regarding this game (And, let's face it, just about every other game ever!). I'll make an assumption too, however- for all of their negativity, I'm willing to wager they will all there on day one too.

Posted: Jul 10th 2010 3:56PM Faryon said

• 1 heart
"If you are a hardcore, traditional Bioware fan - a Mass Effect or especially Dragon [Age] fan - this is the dream game."
This confirmed my fears for this game. Loved Mass Effect, but hated Dragon Age.. So that would mean I'm only going to "kind of" like it?

Posted: Jul 10th 2010 4:05PM Tizmah said

• Half a heart
SWTOR is not an MMO.

There I said it.

Posted: Jul 10th 2010 4:05PM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
If it doesnt have good gameplay, its not a game!
If I want a text based RPG ill go pick up my copy of Might and Magic: Gates to Another World..

I'll go talk to Jean Luc Picard and have him teleport me to the next town.

Posted: Jul 10th 2010 4:25PM thedude657 said

• 1 heart
I still dont know what to think of this game but Im still going to play it. Im sure if tons of people throw a fit about something after it launches they will change it to appease the masses.

Posted: Jul 10th 2010 4:50PM Tom in VA said

Well, the game sounds very promising to me.

As for all of you who wished it were going to be "WoW in space", well, I'm sad for you, really -- but there are already tons of games that fit that tried-and-true standard WoW MMO-like format. Me, I've had my fill of it.

If SWTOR ends up being a "single-player friendly with a multiplayer component" type of online game (which is basically how the original Guild Wars was), with a rich and personalized story line, then I'm all for it.

Swordsman launches today