Posted: Jul 9th 2010 2:38PM (Unverified) said

Thanks for the article and the question at least about LFF. But nothing worth coming back for from that list for me at least. Radiance and LI grinding are fundamental design decisions that have to change.

And the lack of a dedicated container for the *dozens* of currency tokens you get -- festival tokens, skirmish tokens, Angmar armor tokens, Rivendell armor tokens, Lonelands factions tokens, Moria faction tokens, low-radiance tokens, high-radiance token, and on and on and on -- shows Turbine has really failed on managing their design. They are just creating content without any sense of long-term impact on the game. They are relying on players not playing old content and just ignoring old items in favor of the path they want you to take.

BTW, did they mention if they were going rationalize itemization any time soon? For example, will the new scalable dungeons have items scaled to the size of the group and challenge? Several of the old instances gave low level teal weapons and armor that were great before the introduction of "Legendary" items.

Posted: Jul 9th 2010 3:50PM Daemodand said

I'll be playing this fall, that's for sure. I think they need to lighten up on the mounts, though. This is a game, and riding a giant eagle would be pretty amazing. Yes, the IP should be honored, but it should never be a roadblock to fun.

Posted: Jul 9th 2010 5:05PM ScottishViking said

Um. No. The lore is already stretched thin with rune-keepers and goats. The game is plenty fun as it is without adding the Great Unicorn Cavalry.

Posted: Jul 9th 2010 6:14PM DiscoJer said

Personally, they might as well. Eagle mounts would be far less egregious in game (at least to me) than Rune Keepers, who throw lightning everywhere. I get mad every time I see one in game zapping stuff.

Posted: Jul 9th 2010 5:18PM TheJackman said

Wonder when they change the name to WB Turbine... Isengard expansion in 2011? I first got to see it to believe it.... also how much of a expansion can it really be? Remember this game gonna go free to play soon well free to run around in :P

Posted: Jul 9th 2010 5:45PM Graill440 said

I have pushed the devs on Monster play, they sate it aint happening. Which i take to guess, Orion is still in the fold and this aspect, the biggest draw to LOTR will continue to be left in shambles with the same few folks flip flopping every hour.

No infamy for sale either if your wondering.

Posted: Jul 9th 2010 6:55PM ScottishViking said

You have "pushed the devs" in what capacity?

"The biggest draw" to LOTRO is not PvMP, sad as it is to say. Never was, and never will be. This is too bad, since I really enjoy it (I have a R6 spider) and think there's a lot of potential for it. With the changes to F2P, I think they're missing out on a HUGE opportunity. F2P PvP with this IP would be absolutely huge. And they're letting it slide. Baffling.

"They need to merge servers, leave E and Brandy (the two most populated) and shutdown the rest as they are merley ghost servers."

Are you on crack? Landroval much? Sheesh.

Posted: Jul 9th 2010 8:48PM Sunaris said

@graill

you are absolutely wrong on everything you mention in your post. PvMP is a side game and in no way the "biggest draw". Middle earth is the biggest draw, the pve is the biggest draw, just like every other mmo out there. While E and brandywine are the most populated, landroval is very close behind, so close in fact they had to stop transfers to all three of those servers. Arkenstone and vilya are good medium pop servers as well.

Posted: Jul 9th 2010 5:49PM Fisk said

Yes, but since i'll be returning to lotro i'll be able to finish all the content before Mirkwood and not have to pay for the expansion when i'm at that content, just use my turbine points. Also for new players they will be able to get atleast one of the Expansion without paying extra :)

Posted: Jul 9th 2010 7:33PM (Unverified) said

Rep mounts will be purchasable in the store like he said, but im almost sure you will still have to meet the Rep requirement. If not, that's dumb. Its taking all the challenge and fun away.. then i can no longer feel like i earned it or accomplished something, lol.

Posted: Jul 10th 2010 7:05AM (Unverified) said

That is my concern as well. I am also affraid that they will make certain grindy things even worse, so they can sell them in the shop instead.

Posted: Jul 13th 2010 7:32AM (Unverified) said

I really wish they would put as much effort into actual content as they do silly things like festivals and the festival rewards. This summer's festival is already 4+ weeks long, and they always extend every festival by 2 more weeks due to popular demand so they say. That now equals 4 festivals at a total of 24 weeks, nearly half of the year!! I'd bet there is more of a popular demand for new content than there is of 2 more weeks of summer festivals but who says Turbine listens?

All in all as a lifer (2 accounts, wife and I) we are both pro f2p, we both feel it will benefit the game and current players in the long run, but the lack of viable content recently is disturbing, SG, WP, and the Dungeons are very underwhelming and BG is hardly enjoyable.

I would hope V3.2 has a bit more content than V3.1, and of course skirmishes are only fun the first 50 times you do them. I guess all we have to look for is the scaled instances, I believe they are rumored or acutally going to be Helegrod and Annuminas which could be fun.

All I am doing is looking forward to the day when I can't hardly wait to get online and play, very much the way it was back in SoA days.

Betawatch: October 18 - 24, 2014